I bought a cheap Peavey Milestone III bass guitar...

I'm just completely clueless on what strings... gauge, type etc to start with...
I want to practise a bit of everything, as i'm new to the instrument... don't have a style just yet...

any suggestions?

thanks
i like DR hi-beams, the mediums are .45-.105 and will be plenty light and "cutting" enough to get a decent sound in spite of beginner gear.

you're gonna need an amp, too, if you don't have one yet - you really can't hear the bass without one, at least not the way it's meant to be heard. i practice acoustically plenty but it's impossible to get real context without at least a practice amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can't go wrong with any of the main brands (Ernie Ball, Fender, Rotosound, DR, D'Addario, GHS, Warwick, Elixir etc). It's all personal preference, and nobody can tell you which you'll prefer - it's best to simply pick a brand, try them, and then buy a different one next time if you weren't too keen. Sooner or later you'll find your preference.

As for the spec of the strings, the standard is for steel roundwound 45-105 gauge. So that would be your best starting point probably.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan