looking to get one of these amps and wanted to hear your guys opinions on wich you think will be better for me. im just getting back in the game after years of not playing. turning one of my rooms in my house into my music mancave. im in a rural area with the closest music shop that sell what i want is 100 miles away so it will be a blind buy. thanks guys
I prefer head and cab, it makes your entire rig more versatile. You can get new heads to play with the cab or vise versa.

It makes it possible to bring just a head in a club if there is a backline there. And a 2x12 combo is much heavier to move than a cab and a head.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I prefer head and cab, it makes your entire rig more versatile. You can get new heads to play with the cab or vise versa.

It makes it possible to bring just a head in a club if there is a backline there. And a 2x12 combo is much heavier to move than a cab and a head.

ive only played solid state in the past and this will be my first true tube amp. what i liked about the combo was the power attenuator since ill be playing at home. the head does not have that but have heard is sounds great at lower volumes. im also hearing a volume jump between cannels 1 and to. i think that was when the amps first came out and am not sure if that was ever corrected. was that and issue with the combo and the head version?
The head will give you all the fantastic options of mixing the amp with all kinds of different cabs.

The combo has Greenbacks, some sort of power scaling knob (1 - 50w) and a DSP for reverb.

The choice is yours. If you have no intentions of loading your amp into your car every week for gigging and you don't mind Greenbacks, the combo seems like a great choice.

The volume jump between channels one and two is probably because both channels share all the same EQ knobs. You're going to have to choose if you want to dedicate that EQ to clean or crunch. If you want more control over it, there is the 5150 III 100 watt.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at May 25, 2014,
Quote by big_paul_ski
ive only played solid state in the past and this will be my first true tube amp. what i liked about the combo was the power attenuator since ill be playing at home. the head does not have that but have heard is sounds great at lower volumes. im also hearing a volume jump between cannels 1 and to. i think that was when the amps first came out and am not sure if that was ever corrected. was that and issue with the combo and the head version?

Yeah there is a slight jump in volume because those 2 channels share the same controls. It is fixable if you use a MIDI switcher but I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lemurflames
The head will give you all the fantastic options of mixing the amp with all kinds of different cabs.

The combo has Greenbacks, some sort of power scaling knob (1 - 50w) and a DSP for reverb.

The choice is yours. If you have no intentions of loading your amp into your car every week for gigging and you don't mind Greenbacks, the combo seems like a great choice.

The volume jump between channels one and two is probably because both channels share all the same EQ knobs. You're going to have to choose if you want to dedicate that EQ to clean or crunch. If you want more control over it, there is the 5150 III 100 watt.

what speakers come in the 2x12 cab and why are they not the same as the combo? i think the cab comes with EVH spaekers.
The Combo comes with G12M25 greenbacks, the 2x12 and 1x12 cabs come with G12H30 and the 4x12 comes with the EVH G12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah there is a slight jump in volume because those 2 channels share the same controls. It is fixable if you use a MIDI switcher but I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be

i believe it comes with one of those?
Sometimes I wish I still had a combo. I got a 66 Bassman half stack and that son of a bitch is HEAVY. Head weighs just as much as the cab. The power attenuater would be nice to have
Quote by big_paul_ski
i believe it comes with one of those?

No it comes with a foot switch, but it is not a MIDI style. You have to use the MIDI to even the volume out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I prefer head and cab, I keep a 112 cab at home and a 212 where we jam. I can rent a 4x12 as well for gigs and add my 212 to it, so I mostly only have to carry my head, I can do that on my motorcycle.
Last edited by Tempoe at May 25, 2014,
*waits for Cathbard to post a comment about using a trolley with a combo*

Personally, I'd go head+cab, combos aren't impossible to move, but the main issue is often if you a different speaker cab, it becomes a bit much (bringing a large heavy combo, then another 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet.

plus you can always sell the amp and keep the cab in the future if needs be. No way of doing that with a combo.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Combo comes with G12M25 greenbacks, the 2x12 and 1x12 cabs come with G12H30 and the 4x12 comes with the EVH G12

wonder why they didnt just stick EVH in all of them? which ones are the better speakers or do they try to match them for what they think works best. i think ive heard people swapping out in the combo. i judt dont know enough to even think about doing that stuff as to now hurt the sound. thank god for sites like this. when i was playing we were SOL.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it comes with a foot switch, but it is not a MIDI style. You have to use the MIDI to even the volume out.

ok i gotcha. thnks man. i have a lot to learn.
Quote by ambler3
*waits for Cathbard to post a comment about using a trolley with a combo*

Personally, I'd go head+cab, combos aren't impossible to move, but the main issue is often if you a different speaker cab, it becomes a bit much (bringing a large heavy combo, then another 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet.

plus you can always sell the amp and keep the cab in the future if needs be. No way of doing that with a combo.

ill be playing at home though. im also wanting to know if the head and cab can work at home like some people are claiming on youtube etc. sound quality should be the same with the two?
WTF is the point of an attenuator in an amp designed to get its distortion from the preamp? Seriously, what a ****ing gimick.

Either will do the job fine. A head/cab is better if you plan to upgrade shit later.

And yes, all you people complaining about weight; buy a decent trolley, dumbassas.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A 5150 III 50 watt head and cab work brilliantly at home. It can do whisper quite volumes if you need it to and there is a headphone out on the 50 watt head if you absolutely need it.

Quote by Cathbard
WTF is the point of an attenuator in an amp designed to get its distortion from the preamp? Seriously, what a ****ing gimick.

My exact feelings.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at May 25, 2014,
Quote by big_paul_ski
wonder why they didnt just stick EVH in all of them? which ones are the better speakers or do they try to match them for what they think works best. i think ive heard people swapping out in the combo. i judt dont know enough to even think about doing that stuff as to now hurt the sound. thank god for sites like this. when i was playing we were SOL.

well EVH has used G12M25 and G12H30 and his G12EVH is soposed to be more like the classic 20 watt Greenback's
But I have no clue why they did it like that. The G12H30 has better bass response than the G12M or the EVH. I have a cab with G12H30's in it and a 1x12 with a Greenback clone. They are both good speakers it just depends on what your looking for. The G12H30 is more modern sounding than the g12m.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

Either will do the job fine. A head/cab is better if you plan to upgrade shit later.

And yes, all you people complaining about weight; buy a decent trolley, dumbassas.

im sure i will upgrade at some point later. the weight of the combo wold not bother me either. thanks.
Quote by lemurflames
A 5150 III 50 watt head and cab work brilliantly at home. It can do whisper quite volumes if you need it to and there is a headphone out on the 50 watt head if you absolutely need it.

My exact feelings.

very good to know. ill prolly end up getting the head and 2X12 cab.
Quote by Robbgnarly

well EVH has used G12M25 and G12H30 and his G12EVH is soposed to be more like the classic 20 watt Greenback's
But I have no clue why they did it like that. The G12H30 has better bass response than the G12M or the EVH. I have a cab with G12H30's in it and a 1x12 with a Greenback clone. They are both good speakers it just depends on what your looking for. The G12H30 is more modern sounding than the g12m.

thanks man. thats the answer i was looking for about the speakers and what does what.
Quote by big_paul_ski
thanks man. thats the answer i was looking for about the speakers and what does what.

No problem. Also The G12M25 and G12H30 are a great pair in one cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by big_paul_ski
wonder why they didnt just stick EVH in all of them?

wattage handling, I think. the g12h30 will handle slightly more wattage so is less likely to blow.

though they still stuck it in the 1x12 cab. i seem to remember reading that they said they checked it and it was fine, but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was at Guitar Center over the weekend and they had the EVH 50 watt head in the jam room. The only cab there was a Marshall 2x12. I personally didn't go for it. I thought the distortion sounded thin and just cheap. In all fairness ,I'm Not sure if it was the head or the cab, and I'm sure in the right hands it may sound awesome ,but at first glance ,and for the $1000 price tag,I will keep looking
The cheap Marshall cabs are junk. Thin and cheap is an accurate description of an MG 2x2. It was probably the cab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Or hire these guys to carry your gear and fawn over your solos.

Quote by big_paul_ski
looking to get one of these amps and wanted to hear your guys opinions on wich you think will be better for me.

As CatBarf noted, a head and cab is better if you plan to upgrade...er...things later.

That said, I've got a 100W and a 50W combo and three powered speakers that turn into combo amps if you toss a Pod into the hot-swappable bay. And a bunch of heads and cabs.

Buy everything. Sort it out later.
Quote by dspellman
As CatBarf noted, a head and cab is better if you plan to upgrade...er...things later.

That said, I've got a 100W and a 50W combo and three powered speakers that turn into combo amps if you toss a Pod into the hot-swappable bay. And a bunch of heads and cabs.

Buy everything. Sort it out later.

I'm prolly going to go with the head and cab because I know I will upgrade and want to try new things. I'll try to not do too many impulse buys lol. I feel like getting a bit of everything to try to discover myself again. This should be a fun and interesting process and I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.
Yeah as cath said, cheap speakers/cabs can make even a good amp sound crap. Tinny would be the word I'd use.

Quote by dspellman
CatBarf

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?