I'll keep this short, I've been using a Roland Cube 30X and I like the tone (hurr) but it's not loud enough, so I'm looking for a valve combo

- Medium to high gain (no metal)
- Reverb, chorus and delay would be good too
- Clean, distorted and lead channel (or 2 and a solo setting)
- I don't play a lot of clean but I want a respectable clean sound
- At least 15 watts (At least twice as loud as a 30 watt modelling amp)

I live in the UK so I think most but not all major amp manufacturers are available here. My budget is flexible, I'd say around £300. I'm happy to buy used but there isn't usually a great selection around where I live.

Thanks in advance!
Laney VC15
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall JCM2000 DSL201/401
Marshall DSL15/40
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
jet city i'd say. thomann's out of them at the moment. but you can get the 20 watt combo for well under £300 (closer to £200), and if they ever get them back in, the 50 watt combo was under £300 too IIRC.

Use an overdrive pedal as your lead channel, to boost the od channel. E.g. digitech bad monkey, boss sd1, etc.

no reverb, chorus or delay but you can get those pedals later.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1 The Jet City would be good. The 22 has 2 channels, the 20 has one if you can deal with that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i figured the 2 channel would be better since he said he ideally wanted 3 also it has more gain (i think?) on the od channel. he did say "no metal", but he also said "medium to high gain" which says jet city to me. admittedly i'm a fanboy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've never really liked the method of having a pedal as a boost instead of a dedicated setting on the amp. With my current amp I can't get much of a volume increase even if it's turned down all the way, I don't know how different that would be with a valve amp
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've never really liked the method of having a pedal as a boost instead of a dedicated setting on the amp. With my current amp I can't get much of a volume increase even if it's turned down all the way, I don't know how different that would be with a valve amp

Boosts tend to work differently with a tube amp.

What your looking for will be almost impossible to find in your budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Boosts tend to work differently with a tube amp.

What your looking for will be almost impossible to find in your budget.

Is it really that unrealistic? I'm just looking for something similar to the Blackstar HT-5 but a bit bigger and with another channel if possible
It can be done, but you really are limited with a budget that small. The Peavey valveking may work for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The blackstar stuff sounds great in that price range. Something in the HT series. I don't know how many quid they are but going by the U.S. price they should be around there.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It can be done, but you really are limited with a budget that small. The Peavey valveking may work for you

yeah the VK with the footswitch will more or less do what you want. getting an overdrive regardless of the amp you choose would be highly recommended.
+1 with the Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Another vote for the Jet City. I have the JCA22h head. What it lacks in features it makes up for in tone. I can dial in a lot of variety. All it lacks is clean headroom, tbh. You should be able to find a combo used for cheap enough to afford some pedals as well. I paid $275 USD for mine used and it already had upgraded JJ tubes installed.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

yeah if the valve amp is distorted a boost is going to give more distortion rather than more volume. unless you use it in the loop. and the jet city loop is a slightly weird design, not sure how well boosts work in it (loop's in the wrong place so a boost in there might not be much different from in front of the amp, anyway).

as robb says, at your budget you might not have too many options. It's very hard to beat the jet cities at the price they go for. Though obviously if they won't do what you want then that's not exactly ideal either.

EDIT: it's worth pointing out that the boost on the valveking is solid state (or at least on the older one it was, dunno about the newer one), as far as i'm aware. I'm not sure how differently it'll react from a boost.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 26, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah if the valve amp is distorted a boost is going to give more distortion rather than more volume. unless you use it in the loop. and the jet city loop is a slightly weird design, not sure how well boosts work in it (loop's in the wrong place so a boost in there might not be much different from in front of the amp, anyway).

as robb says, at your budget you might not have too many options. It's very hard to beat the jet cities at the price they go for. Though obviously if they won't do what you want then that's not exactly ideal either.

EDIT: it's worth pointing out that the boost on the valveking is solid state (or at least on the older one it was, dunno about the newer one), as far as i'm aware. I'm not sure how differently it'll react from a boost.

the boost on a the VK is a clipping diode that has a mid boost as well much like a tubescreamer. I often run mine with it on plus an overdrive however the gain is only on 3-4 which keeps the sound from muddying up. at stage volumes the boost is off as it's really not needed.
yeah. it's ages since I tried it so I don't remember much about it, other than at higher gain settings I thought it sounded better on than off Is it in front of the amp bit or part of the channel? just wondering whether it'd react more or less the same as a boost pedal or not- if it's similar you might be deciding on the VK and discounting other things unfairly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?