I just got my first ever amp head (Orange Dark Terror) and when I plugged it in, I (stupidly) used an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable, and when I tried to play, nothing happened. Not a sound. Both the cab and amp worked fine when I tried them out in store, but now it's dead silent. The tubes are glowing orange, I took the fuse out and it looked fine, and I didn't hear or smell anything weird when I first plugged it in. I'm going out to get a proper speaker cable tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm really worried that I fried my amp. Did I actually blow my new baby!?
How long did you leave the amp on before you turned it off?

Did you check the board for more fuses or did you just look at the mains fuse? Did you replace the mains fuse or does it just look ok?
Did you try the FX loop trick I posted about in your other thread?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just checked the main fuse that you pull out of the side. I left the amp on for maybe 30 minutes probably more, most of that time in standby though, if that helps.
I didn't try the FX loop trick, mainly because I still don't have a proper speaker cable, so I don't want to exacerbate the problem if that's what caused it.
Quote by kyledennis321
I didn't try the FX loop trick, mainly because I still don't have a proper speaker cable, so I don't want to exacerbate the problem if that's what caused it.

It should be fine to check quickly. A instrument cable will work, but they can not handle the current for too long. Don't leave it on for longer than a few seconds, that is all it will take
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Unless you were blasting your amp I can't imagine the instrument cable causing a problem. Try the same cable with your guitar into another amp. If the cable is fine then it didn't damage the amp. The cable can only damage the amp if it is open or shorted. In either case you should be able to tell if it's bad.
Quote by pushingthrough
instrument cable, speaker cable, really doesnt matter so much shouldnt have blown up anything

This is what I was thinking. I once saw a guy set up and not connect head to cab. Being a good citizen, I mentioned it to him and he just shrugged. He flipped the power on and everything and it was just sitting there for a good 10 minutes before he finally plugged in. He flipped it on and It started playing fine. I sureas hell wouldn't suggest doing that though.

But anyways, not to be a dick cause I'm sure it was the first thing you checked, but is your standby on? Could there be a volume down somewhere?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
But anyways, not to be a dick cause I'm sure it was the first thing you checked, but is your standby on? Could there be a volume down somewhere?

Or the EQ?

My first amp, a Fender Frontman 15G, would output sound even with the EQ knobs all turned down.
When I got my second amp (a 100watt Laney), I thought it was broken because I had the volume almost at max and I still had no sound at all -- all the other knobs were at zero.
Then I almost blew my ears out when I ran my hand across all knobs at the same time, making the EQ jump from 0 to ~5.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by pushingthrough
instrument cable, speaker cable, really doesnt matter so much shouldnt have blown up anything

Instrument cables sometimes have so little wire in them that they'll heat up, melt the insulation and short out. I had a band mate who was a complete idiot and did this a couple of times, losing a transformer once. We eventually made all of his speaker cables out of early Monster zip line, so there could be no mistake.

Sometimes you get lucky with an instrument cable (god sometimes protects morons and drunks), sometimes not.
If you didn't let the smoke out the amp is probably fine. Recheck all your settings and switches. Make sure the volume is up on the guitar, make sure you have a good impedance match, use decent quality cords.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
How to know if you blew your amp?

Were your lips singed when you woke up this morning?