so we know how in bangledesh and other developing countries we have people given shitty jobs with shitty pay, right? what if they were paid more, so they would have more to spend and stimulate their economies so they actually grow past being the curry and aids filled shanty towns that their nations are?
discuss
by god you're a genius
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
But I don't care about other countries.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
So you are saying they should be paid more for the same output? How exactly will the businesses sustain themselves? They get paid so low because they also produce almost nothing.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Can't we all just like a facebook page or something for this kind of issue?
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Quote by LolCatGuitar
so we know how in bangledesh and other developing countries we have people given shitty jobs with shitty pay, right? what if they were paid more, so they would have more to spend and stimulate their economies so they actually grow past being the curry and aids filled shanty towns that their nations are?
discuss

That is a terrible idea because it's through the plundering of those poor people and their miserable economies that allow us to be the overprivileged white kids we are.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 25, 2014,
Make sure you don't end up jacking it in San Diego.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
what if workers could own their own labor?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
what if workers could own their own labor?
They do, that's why they get paid.
That doesn't work because of the globalized system we've created. Basically the international economic system is a race to the bottom. Who can produce the most goods at the cheapest prices. If a country were to increase the wages of these workers the business will go elsewhere where it is cheaper, because they must profit as well.

The two biggest economies that are sustained from this are China and India. While both have fairly bad living conditions, and are extremely over populated, the state of which they are in is indeed getting better. As it gets better these economies will continue to move into different fields rather than cheap labour to make a stronger and more sustainable economy, let alone a stronger nation.

It's still a bad system that is going to show its effects down the road even more so than it is now
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
That doesn't work because of the globalized system we've created. Basically the international economic system is a race to the bottom. Who can produce the most goods at the cheapest prices. If a country were to increase the wages of these workers the business will go elsewhere where it is cheaper, because they must profit as well.

The two biggest economies that are sustained from this are China and India. While both have fairly bad living conditions, and are extremely over populated, the state of which they are in is indeed getting better.

It's still a bad system that is going to show its effects down the road even more so than it is now

You are dismissing the fact that cheap production is both a combination of productivity and wages. We get high wages in the west because our productivity is highest.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Please, rich first world people, tell the rest of the world why they should have a different economic system from you and how they are doing everything wrong. Never mind that standard of living is rising on average the world over. All poors must be saved by whitey or something.
We get our better wages due tot he assumption that we can get our goods for cheap from over seas.

The whole idea of globalization was to benefit the West, no matter which way people want to twist it. We can say it helps unstable economic nations but it's pretty much a crock. Yes statistically they may be in a better position but it puts them into a vicious cycle (the race to the bottom), and when countries are built on cash crops you'll find political unrest if they fail (one of the events leading to the Rwanda genocide)

Quote by seanlang01
Please, rich first world people, tell the rest of the world why they should have a different economic system from you and how they are doing everything wrong. Never mind that standard of living is rising on average the world over. All poors must be saved by whitey or something.

The hell are you talkin bout
You are just spouting some uneducated bullcrap Jmoarguitar.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by seanlang01
They do, that's why they get paid.

do you even?
Quote by Jmoarguitar
when countries are built on cash crops you'll find political unrest if they fail (one of the events leading to the Rwanda genocide)
I guess the U.S. is headed to a genocide then. There were definitely no other circumstances that put countries like Rwanda in those situations. It was definitely us being the cause of everything everywhere because we're so damn important.
Why would the US be headed to a genocide? The US economy isn't based heavily on one thing, like Rwanda's crops were

Moreover, the US is one of the largest economies in the world, not a struggling one that's solely dependent on cash crops. It's economy can take a few hits before shit hits the fan.

That was just a ridiculous statement
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Not really

Yes, yes you are. The reason why those countries are poor and people get paid little, has little to do with the fact that the western world makes a deliberate attempt to make it so. They are simply very VERY unproductive as they don't have a lot of skills, live in unfavourable regions, and have very unstable governments.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It's amazing how many posters here fancy themselves experts enough regarding every conceivable recondite issue to warrant a snobbish response to any idea in any given thread.
It's hard to generalize all of them as unfavourable regions with no skills and unstable governments, although there are plenty that would fit under that bill. It should be considered though that they were placed in a situation that essentially says "we'll help your economy", but through your cheap labour and resources.

And for some countries it works great, and their economies are growing and conditions are getting better. But you're going to have issues when all the countries have to compete under the same ideals (it's kind of like trying to push western ideals into non-western places), and when that's the case, it really, really, hurts them.

Quote by Rossenrot
It's amazing how many posters here fancy themselves experts enough regarding every conceivable recondite issue to warrant a snobbish response to any idea in any given thread.

Are people not allowed to have a conversation using the knowledge they've gathered? No one here is claiming to be an expert
We are pushing nothing.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Why would the US be headed to a genocide? The US economy isn't based heavily on one thing, like Rwanda's crops were

Moreover, the US is one of the largest economies in the world, not a struggling one that's solely dependent on cash crops. It's economy can take a few hits before shit hits the fan.

That was just a ridiculous statement
It's sarcasm, man. You know, to demonstrate that it was a simplistic assertion to make? Like, how Rwanda had/has other important social conflicts and governmental problems besides their economic dependency on a narrow industry.
Of course we aren't, you let the money do it for you.

We can agree to disagree, this debate has been going on for years now and neither side has had triumphant victory. I like to stay in the middle because it's a system that works for some and others it ruins them and also relatively early in historical terms.

Quote by seanlang01
It's sarcasm, man. You know, to demonstrate that it was a simplistic assertion to make? Like, how Rwanda had/has other important social conflicts and governmental problems besides their economic dependency on a narrow industry.

I wasn't asserting that it's economic instability was their main or only issue, but it was an issue nonetheless
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Of course we aren't, you let the money do it for you.

We can agree to disagree, this debate has been going on for years now and neither side has had triumphant victory. I like to stay in the middle because it's a system that works for some and others it ruins them and also relatively early in historical terms.

If you mean that our governments have tried to get market capitalism over the world then yes we did that.

If you think that all money of the businesses in the western world that has been invested in other countries, somehow is some kind of guided force meant to keep those countries down then hell no.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I am paraphrasing your posts. First line of the last one specifically.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jmoarguitar

Are people not allowed to have a conversation using the knowledge they've gathered? No one here is claiming to be an expert

Asserting certitude through condescension is far worse than claiming expertise.
Quote by Rossenrot
Quit being egocentric, I didn't indict anyone specifically.

as usual
Quote by LolCatGuitar
discuss

depends on how sticky prices are. if the price of goods reacts immediately to the rise in pay, the benefits from it will be marginal. in other words, all you get is: pay a buck for rice today then a hundred tomorrow

then there's also the savings element to it where considering poor people are poor, you can count on it being pretty considerable
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at May 25, 2014,