If not, can I mod it so they will work in the vk 112? Also, are the 6L6GC tubes taller than the KT88 because my 6L6GCs are already really close to my speaker in the amp so there might be spacing issues.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
KT88's are taller. If the 6L6's are almost too big the KT88 won't stand a chance.

But that's not the only issue. KT88's draw more current. I wouldn't chance it without getting the specs on the VK's transformer. It will most likely end in tears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 457undead
If not, can I mod it so they will work in the vk 112? Also, are the 6L6GC tubes taller than the KT88 because my 6L6GCs are already really close to my speaker in the amp so there might be spacing issues.

No you can not

If there is enough room between the tube sockets you can use KT66, but KT88's will not work. KT66 are a 6L6 variant
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The screen resistors will be wrong too.

It's a very bad idea.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard, how do I figure out how much current the transformer supplies? I could take off the power tube cage, maybe then I could fit a kt88 in there. If not, then I could just get a socket extension that has a 90 degree turn so they will fit.

If it won't work, can it mod it to make it work?
Thanks.

EDIT: can I change the screen resistors even though I have no idea what that is?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at May 25, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
The screen resistors will be wrong too.

It's a very bad idea.

I thought the KT66 was a direct swap for 6L6's if there was space to fit the glass.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
VK's are a fixed bias amp so you would have to mod it so you can adjust the bias. the KT88 would be to big. why do you want to go to them? seems like the idea would require a fair amount of modification to do and would likely cost more than you want.
Quote by monwobobbo
VK's are a fixed bias amp so you would have to mod it so you can adjust the bias. the KT88 would be to big. why do you want to go to them? seems like the idea would require a fair amount of modification to do and would likely cost more than you want.

Because of this
Quote by Billy Corgan

Also, if possible, experiment with different power tubes. I'm a huge fan of using KT-88's in my Marshall. Most people prefer EL-34's, but I hate them. The "Gish"/"Siamese Dream" guitar sound has so much to do with KT-88's, which add a round, fat bottom to my sound.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
marshall n VK are different animals so just changing the tubes won't necessarily get you that sound.
You'd have to get the transformer specs from Peavey.

KT66's are a direct replacement, Rob. Well, except for physical dimensions, they're a lot fatter.

It's just a bad idea to stick KT88's in there even it's physically possible (they're 125mm long not counting the pins). Really, drop the idea. Just buy some nice 6L6's and be done with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You'd have to get the transformer specs from Peavey.

KT66's are a direct replacement, Rob. Well, except for physical dimensions, they're a lot fatter.

It's just a bad idea to stick KT88's in there even it's physically possible (they're 125mm long not counting the pins). Really, drop the idea. Just buy some nice 6L6's and be done with it.

5881's? i have them in an ampeg lee jackson. however the amp shorted a wire and connector it will be easy to fix its just a lack of time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
5881 is a fine suggestion. They're a drop in for a 6L6. Same heater current too.
Good call.

Or just track down some SED 6L6GC's. Or even better some RCA 6L6WGC's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 26, 2014,
^ Cool Cath, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong. It has been a long weekend.

+1 to 5881, I had a set of the Tung-Sol 5881 reissue and they were very nice when pushed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 26, 2014,
5881 is what Gary Moore used in all his Marshalls. His tone was faultless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 457undead

EDIT: can I change the screen resistors even though I have no idea what that is?

This is all anyone needs to see to know that in this instance the answer to your question is an unqualified NO.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by NakedInTheRain
TS, i get the feeling you really want to nail corgan's tones. are there any in particular you're after? albums in general, songs?
Mainly his lead sound, I want to have a booming guitar sound, I feel like my guitar sounds to thin. I ordered a a custom big muff from a guy on UG 3 months ago but haven't got it, so when it comes I hope that it won't be as bad.

Here are some songs:

Skip to 1:38 then after the distortion dies down skip to 2:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcNP9JE0bs

Skip to 0:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KE9lvU810
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at May 27, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
Mainly his lead sound, I want to have a booming guitar sound, I feel like my guitar sounds to thin. I ordered a a custom big muff from a guy on UG 3 months ago but haven't got it, so when it comes I hope that it won't be as bad.

Here are some songs:

who was that? i assume you were aware of the waiting list? if you would rather PM me that would be fine. they should be publicly flogged so do tell all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by 457undead

Here are some songs:

Skip to 1:38 then after the distortion dies down skip to 2:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcNP9JE0bs

Skip to 0:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KE9lvU810

Love those ... Bogner Uberschall, maybe a Diezel Herbert, Big Muff, through G12T75s.
Quote by 457undead

okay, so what i can see is that you're after his huge wall-of-sound fuzz.

i'm going to be blunt - you're never going to nail those album tones in person. even billy can't hit them live. you know why?

the reason his tone sounds so thick on the album is because the guitar parts on siamese dream are layered, as many as 10 parts at one time. he recorded the same riff many times, and in-between takes, changed the mic positions and messed with EQ and panning, and put all those recordings on top of one another. so what you're hearing is not one guitar, but many, all filling out the audio spectrum tastefully. it takes skill to mix like that. otherwise it just turns into a huge mess.

here's a great albeit short Q&A with butch vig, the guy who produced siamese dream; he goes into quite a bit of detail about the guitar layering and how he worked out the mic positions. there's also a few more links to interviews and how siamese dream was recorded/produced. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-butch-vig/398145-1993-smashing-pumpkins-siamese-dream.html

so back to what you can do to approach siamese dream tone. firstly, grab what billy used - big muff. v4/v5 big muff is what you want. it's different from all the other muffs as it uses op-amps instead of transistors, which give it a gnarlier, grindier sound. plus it's not as mid-scooped, and has a sick low-end. you said you ordered one from a member here - would that be the pumpkin pi from matt at stompunderfoot? if so, excellent choice. if not, no fear. any muff can cop pumpkins. it just happens that the v4/v5 muff is the best for the job.

now for his lead sound, that comes from kicking on an overdrive pedal before the muff. billy mainly used an mxr distortion 2; i use a boss sd-1. a pedal builder by the name of mike makes a combination box of the v5 muff with the mxr dist 2 and calls it the dreambox http://www.madebymike.co.uk/dreambox.shtml. really, any mid-hump/bright overdrive should do the trick. and also, kick on a slow phaser before the muff to really get in the ballpark.

now with your amp, you can turn up the clean channel, or you can turn the dirty channel's gain off, turn the volume right up, and then use the gain as your volume knob until you get a somewhat clean signal through - this is what billy did with his jcm800. this may or may not work, depending on how clean the valveking gets on the dirty channel. i've not played one.

your guitar - single-coils aren't ideal. pretty sure billy had stacked single-coils in his strats. this might be contributing to the thin-ness you are hearing. but to be honest, the muff and your amp will do much more for the sound you're after, so rushing out and buying a new pickup isn't really necessary.

so in short - big muff (v4/v5 clone preferably), overdrive (bad monkey/sd-1), and a used phase 90 if you want to go the whole way.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
who was that? i assume you were aware of the waiting list? if you would rather PM me that would be fine. they should be publicly flogged so do tell all.

I don't know what you are talking about, I bought mine from Telecaster7, it's a big muff v4 clone

Thank you nakedintherain, do you think I need the mxr distortion II or can I get away with anything? Also, I think he used an mxr phase 100, is there abut difference between the 90 and 100? Would the phase be on during all of the leads or just certain parts?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Last edited by 457undead at May 27, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
I don't know what you are talking about, I bought mine from Telecaster7, it's a big muff v4 clone

Thank you nakedintherain, do you think I need the mxr distortion II or can I get away with anything? Also, I think he used an mxr phase 100, is there abut difference between the 90 and 100? Would the phase be on during all of the leads or just certain parts?

huge difference between the phase 100 and the 90. the 90 only has one setting with 1 knob to vary the rate the 100 has 3 or 4 (damn getting old had one now can't remember) .
Quote by monwobobbo
huge difference between the phase 100 and the 90. the 90 only has one setting with 1 knob to vary the rate the 100 has 3 or 4 (damn getting old had one now can't remember) .

Well I saw a video where he says that he turns both settings on his phase 100 all the way down so what is the phase 90s intensity set to if there is no knob?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
^ Don;t quote me on this but the phase 90 is probably more subtle-sounding than the 100. So probably one of the more subtle settings on the 100.

Quote by Arby911
This is all anyone needs to see to know that in this instance the answer to your question is an unqualified NO.

Agreed. Tube amps can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Even when they're turned off.

The other guys will know better than I do how to nail corgan's tones. I'm guessing the type of power tube is pretty far down the list of things needed to get into the ballpark, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 27, 2014,
Quote by 457undead
Well I saw a video where he says that he turns both settings on his phase 100 all the way down so what is the phase 90s intensity set to if there is no knob?

depends on what wave form he's using. you can get the same sound as a phase 90 but the 100 has other options as well.

undead buddy guess it's time for the tone chasing speech. personally I find it a fools errand. nothing wrong with trying for the general tone of your favs but don't get obsessive with it. unless you have the cash to duplicate billy's whole rig you will have to make compromises. as already has been mentioned much of what you hear on the record is studio magic that even billy couldn't duplicate live. use your fav tones as a basis for your own. for instance I love gary moore's tone on the song Cold Hearted (from the corridors of power album). I'm shooting for something like that but haven't made a huge effort to duplicate his gear. he played a 63 strat which for starters i'll never be able to afford. sure I could get similar pickups etc but instead I take the gear I do have and experiment with it while aiming at that tone. learned a lot along the way. of course i'll never be gary moore playing wise but hey it's fun to try. lesson here you can learn a lot by just trying yourself with what you have to use.
Quote by monwobobbo
depends on what wave form he's using. you can get the same sound as a phase 90 but the 100 has other options as well.

undead buddy guess it's time for the tone chasing speech. personally I find it a fools errand. nothing wrong with trying for the general tone of your favs but don't get obsessive with it. unless you have the cash to duplicate billy's whole rig you will have to make compromises. as already has been mentioned much of what you hear on the record is studio magic that even billy couldn't duplicate live. use your fav tones as a basis for your own. for instance I love gary moore's tone on the song Cold Hearted (from the corridors of power album). I'm shooting for something like that but haven't made a huge effort to duplicate his gear. he played a 63 strat which for starters i'll never be able to afford. sure I could get similar pickups etc but instead I take the gear I do have and experiment with it while aiming at that tone. learned a lot along the way. of course i'll never be gary moore playing wise but hey it's fun to try. lesson here you can learn a lot by just trying yourself with what you have to use.

Truth!
Quote by monwobobbo

also agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 457undead

this:

I ordered a a custom big muff from a guy on UG 3 months ago but haven't got it, so when it comes I hope that it won't be as bad.

i just like ordering custom pedals and would be pissed off if it took that long unless told so directly. thats all. i took part of what you were saying as that you had a feeling of insecurity if you are going to get it.

i don't know him either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Don;t quote me on this but the phase 90 is probably more subtle-sounding than the 100. So probably one of the more subtle settings on the 100.

That's what his intensity setting is, is that what the default 90s intensity is?

Would I use a phaser during distorted parts too?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead

you can easily get away with an overdrive set to a bright setting. as i said, i use a boss sd-1 with the output all the way up, gain all the way down, and tone around 3 o'clock.

kick the phaser on during leads/solos. whether or not you want a phase 90 or 100 is up to you. the 100 is more versatile, with options for more regeneration/sweep, whereas the 90 is just simple. up to you.
Quote by 457undead

That's what his intensity setting is, is that what the default 90s intensity is?

I'm honestly not sure That does look like one of the more subtle settings (but I could be wrong).

EDIT: colin answered you in the quick questions thread.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 28, 2014,