Page 1 of 2
I have a question for those out there who have perfect pitch. I have a normal ear and definitely am not right all the time. Sometimes though I'll hear a song and will clearly hear an a note or an e note or something like that. I was wondering for you guys with perfect pitch, if you hear a complicated solo will you hear the notes and instantly have a thought in your head saying "oh that was A C d# f" or something like that? Or do you still have to sit there and figure out what is going on? If you have perfect pitch could you write out the notes of a song on paper as your were hearing it?
A friend in my A-level music class has perfect pitch. He can tell you what note anything is, and even if it's a little sharp or flat, but if you give him a long melody to transcribe, he's pretty much on par with the rest of us in the class. It's an amusing ability, but not a superpower, as far as I can tell
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
No such thing as "perfect pitch" since not all music uses the same tuning system. You can however, in my theory, have excellent pitch memory; always rememberring the last note you heard and being able to compare the next note to it, even if the last time you heard a note was several hours or days prior

It seems like a silly distinction, but I think it's important to make unless you want to believe that a baby can come out of the womb and tell you 440 is A
Last edited by bassalloverthe at May 26, 2014,
Quote by HeretiK538
A friend in my A-level music class has perfect pitch. He can tell you what note anything is, and even if it's a little sharp or flat, but if you give him a long melody to transcribe, he's pretty much on par with the rest of us in the class. It's an amusing ability, but not a superpower, as far as I can tell

+1
you know that weird sort of gut feeling you get when you're feeling watched?

people with perfect pitch have that any time they hear any note ever

also they wet the bed

never get perfect pitch ever
Quote by Hail
you know that weird sort of gut feeling you get when you're feeling watched?

people with perfect pitch have that any time they hear any note ever

also they wet the bed

never get perfect pitch ever

I had a friend who claimed to have taught himself perfect pitch in his teenage years. His method was to walk to the piano every morning and try guess and then sing C. Then he would play a C and compare. He said it took him like 7 months per note
I always like to introduce people with 12 tone pitch to just intonation and watch them lose their shit.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Just because you have perfect pitch you can't instantly transcribe a song in notes.
Maybe if you practiced like a maniac that would be achieveable.
As far as I know you can never learn perfect-pitch though, but you can learn to have incredible relative pitch and easily be better with your ears than an untrained dude with perfect pitch.
They just have a freakin' huge starters advantage, and for fretless instruments it's probably almost like a super-power.
Quote by Banjocal
I always like to introduce people with 12 tone pitch to just intonation and watch them lose their shit.

Every time I hear a guitar player talk about JI, my heart lifts and a smile cracks across my face

God bless
Quote by Banjocal
Sax

Well that explains it, then.

Do you know how many limits his guitar is tuned to?

The guitar sounds great, btw
Quote by bassalloverthe
Well that explains it, then.

Do you know how many limits his guitar is tuned to?

The guitar sounds great, btw
Any, I think. He can take the frets off and slide them around like a more concrete sitar.

Check out La Monte Young's The Well Tuned Piano. I also recommend Ivor Darreg for some extended tuning works.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Any, I think. He can take the frets off and slide them around like a more concrete sitar.

Check out La Monte Young's The Well Tuned Piano. I also recommend Ivor Darreg for some extended tuning works.

>Movable frets

Mein negger.

So its basically like an old school lute, or de gamba then? Sickkkkkkkk

Also, La Monte Young is awesome, I didnt know he did an etude/study/piece on his own piano tuning though. Ill check it out.

You should check out Wolfgang von Schweinitz if you get a chance. Hes all about JI and other tunings, but more for woodwinds and brass. Hes a really big proponent of the whole "septimal comma, syntonic comma" thing. He also has a lot of theories on how to change keys in non-12TET tuning
Last edited by bassalloverthe at May 26, 2014,
Quote by bassalloverthe
>Movable frets

Mein negger.

So its basically like an old school lute, or de gamba then? Sickkkkkkkk

Also, La Monte Young is awesome, I didnt know he did an etude/study/piece on his own piano tuning though. Ill check it out.

You should check out Wolfgang von Schweinitz if you get a chance. Hes all about JI and other tunings, but more for woodwinds and brass. Hes a really big proponent of the whole "septimal comma, syntonic comma" thing. He also has a lot of theories on how to change keys in non-12TET tuning

CHECKING OUT

not that I know loads about it, certainly not as much as you, but it tickles my fancy. I make a lot of drone-based music (pretty much all I make actually) so this stuff always interests me.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by HeretiK538

I've only spoke to one person who has it and this sums it up well.

I used to be jealous when I first started, mainly because I guess I didn't understand how my ear had to be trained. Now I think my ear is as good as it needs to be.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by bassalloverthe
No such thing as "perfect pitch" since not all music uses the same tuning system. You can however, in my theory, have excellent pitch memory; always rememberring the last note you heard and being able to compare the next note to it, even if the last time you heard a note was several hours or days prior

It seems like a silly distinction, but I think it's important to make unless you want to believe that a baby can come out of the womb and tell you 440 is A

Yeah, I agree.

It's not a fact that A is 440Hz. Perfect pitch is about having a really good pitch memory. And I think you can't use it well unless you know theory. I mean, you can't name the notes before you have learned the note names. But I guess different pitches may mean more to a guy who has a perfect pitch. For example a song in D minor and the same song in G minor will sound more different to them than it will sound to somebody without perfect pitch. But I think all of us have some kind of pitch memory. Some of us just have a lot better pitch memory.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I noticed the last time I put new strings, I tuned it to perfect pitch before checking with the tuner, I mean perfect tune, surprised me, so I guess I have at least a good memory for pitch
Does this ever happen with anyone else? Every once in a while I'll pick up the guitar and strike a note or a chord and am instantly reminded of a random part in some song. I could almost bet my life that what I'm playing is the same note or chord, and in the same key, as the part it makes me recall and every time I've checked it out when it happens, I've been right.

I think I read that all babies are born with perfect pitch but lose the power as they grow as a result of disuse. Perhaps they're just glimpses of my former glory. Ha!
Last edited by Riffstation at May 27, 2014,
Quote by Riffstation
Does this ever happen with anyone else? Every once in a while I'll pick up the guitar and strike a note or a chord and am instantly reminded of a random part in some song. I could almost bet my life that what I'm playing is the same note or chord, and in the same key, as the part it makes me recall and every time I've checked it out when it happens, I've been right.

I think I read that all babies are born with perfect pitch but lose the power as they grow as a result of disuse. Perhaps they're just glimpses of my former glory. Ha!

I think it also has to do with how your guitar sounds like. Certain chords, especially open chords, have a distinct kind of sound. For example the open G5 chord (3x0033) is easy to recognize. It doesn't mean you remember the pitch, you may just remember how the voicing sounds like. Of course it may have to do with both.

When I strummed a random guitar in a guitar store, I could tell it was tuned lower than standard, maybe to D or Db. But it just sounded different.

And yeah, different keys do have their own sounds. D minor does sound different than A minor. Some songs work best in certain keys. For example A minor may be too low for a song but D minor may sound perfect.

And I think those who have perfect pitch will hear the differences between different keys more clearly. To me it hardly makes a difference. But it may bother somebody who has a perfect pitch if you play a song in a different key.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Well, as you have said, it means you can and will identify every note. Every note- even if it's something like a lawnmower or an airplane sliding down in pitch as it moves away (not to mention you will perceive all the notes it shifts to).
And yeah, it feels weird to hear a song played to an odd key, especially if the keys are very different (like if one is particularly bright and the other is more subdued).
I forget the song and solo he was pertaining to, but I remember reading an interview with Steve Vai where he said he was listening to the radio in the car and this song came on and floored him to where he had to pull over. He grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and transcribed the whole thing right in the car solo and all.I honestly believe him because the guy has perfect pitch and enough theory in his head to write three books.

Keeping it real my ears were a hell of a lot better before I started relying on an electric tuner the last 20+ years. I honestly believe it makes your ears lazy and I do have a bit of trouble if I have a guitar with no tuner getting to 440HZ if it is totally out.My friend Mike who owns the guitar store I hangout in and grew up behind the counter from a kid totally amazes me. I watch hin do set up after set up and he doesn't even have a tuner on the counter. He just turns the tuning pegs and each string is dead on.
Quote by straycat113
I forget the song and solo he was pertaining to, but I remember reading an interview with Steve Vai where he said he was listening to the radio in the car and this song came on and floored him to where he had to pull over. He grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and transcribed the whole thing right in the car solo and all.I honestly believe him because the guy has perfect pitch and enough theory in his head to write three books.

Keeping it real my ears were a hell of a lot better before I started relying on an electric tuner the last 20+ years. I honestly believe it makes your ears lazy and I do have a bit of trouble if I have a guitar with no tuner getting to 440HZ if it is totally out.My friend Mike who owns the guitar store I hangout in and grew up behind the counter from a kid totally amazes me. I watch hin do set up after set up and he doesn't even have a tuner on the counter. He just turns the tuning pegs and each string is dead on.

You don't need to have perfect pitch to be able to listen to a song and write it on paper. That just requires good relative pitch.

And about tuning guitars - I can't find the A=440Hz by ear only (that would pretty much require perfect pitch or hearing that note all the time) but if I find that note (or any other open string note), I can use my ears and tune my guitar by using intervals. I just listen to the E and A strings together, then A and D strings together, etc. And IMO that's all you need to be able to do.

Having a good ear =/= having a perfect pitch.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Like this, apparently:

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bassalloverthe

I had a friend who claimed to have taught himself perfect pitch in his teenage years. His method was to walk to the piano every morning and try guess and then sing C. Then he would play a C and compare. He said it took him like 7 months per note

It would actually take his entire teenage years using that method.

Lets say teenage years is from 13 to 19. 7 years inclusive.

12 notes at 7 months each = 7 years.

Pretty awful method. Luckily your mate is taking out of his ass rather than being stupid.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It would actually take his entire teenage years using that method.

Lets say teenage years is from 13 to 19. 7 years inclusive.

12 notes at 7 months each = 7 years.

Pretty awful method. Luckily your mate is taking out of his ass rather than being stupid.

Well, he could demonstrate perfect pitch so I doubt he was talking out his ass
Quote by bassalloverthe
Well, he could demonstrate perfect pitch so I doubt he was talking out his ass

Could he demonstrate relative pitch? Because that matters more.
Did he have that weird photoshopped (at least I hope it's photoshopped) smile on his face?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Did he have that weird photoshopped (at least I hope it's photoshopped) smile on his face?

The original pic was me and my fiancee. (I cut it so it was just me, because I don't think most people on this site need to see pics of her.) And it had me smiling nicely, because I'd just proposed to her.

So...yeah.
I actually meant the original guy in the guitar world/guitar one advert
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I actually meant the original guy in the guitar world/guitar one advert

"His" is a vague pronoun, man. But yeah, I've seen that ad in old GuitarWolrd mags. He does have that creepy smile; it's not photoshopped.
Page 1 of 2