Hey everyone I have a Fender 1998 California series, and I was just wondering what the best srting to get would be. Thanks so much
strings are a very touchy and personal choice. they, like picks, do the most to change a guitars sound. i can only tell you that the 2 most popular are D'addario's EXP series and Elixir strings.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Ask 100 people, get 100 answers....

The good news.... It's really hard to buy a bad set of strings currently. Unless you should stumble on Chinese counterfeits.... (Yes, there are such things...)
All the major brands, Elixir, D'Addario, Martin, etc.... All make top-quality strings.

For the beginner, there do seem to be so many choices. The main thing is to get the right gauge....If in doubt as to what's on your particular guitar, take it along to the shop and they'll measure with a micrometer.

In general terms.... "Phosphor bronze" strings sound a little mellower and less "crashy" than do the 80/20 "Brass" strings.
Quote by Bikewer
Ask 100 people, get 100 answers....

The good news.... It's really hard to buy a bad set of strings currently. Unless you should stumble on Chinese counterfeits.... (Yes, there are such things...)
....[ ].....
Tell me about it. I have a Crafter 12 string dreadnought that came with a set of Chinese brass strings. The were horrifically bad sounding, to the point the guitar was, for all intents and purposes, unplayable. As soon as I hung a set of D'Addario phosphor bronze 12 string lights on it, it was like an entirely different guitar.

I think Crafter's recent stuff has been shipping with D'Addario EXP. Ibanez ships with EXPs also,as do a lot of other makers.

I think Fender ships all their acoustics with their house brand brass lights........It's the whole"TWANG THANG"......
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 26, 2014,
Ernie Ball 09s
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by sarahgminer
Hey everyone I have a Fender 1998 California series, and I was just wondering what the best srting to get would be. Thanks so much
Are you sure you want to post this under "acoustic guitars"? A quick search implies that the Fender, "California Series", are electrics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_California_Series
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 26, 2014,