Hello!

I want to replace the S1(Single coil stock pickup in the middle position) in my Ibanez RG 550.
I have already swapped the neck and bridge stock humbuckers(V1,V2) for a Air Norton in the neck and a Deactivator in the bridge, and i am very happy with that upgrade.

I want a middle pickup that is a great in combo(position 2,4) with those pickups, and what i really would like is something that would give me better clean tones, not distortion.

Any suggestions, I dont care witch brand it is
Maybe DiMarzio Area 61 (don't know about them, just used the pickup picker).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't know what the Deactivator's clean tone is, but when I use my Area '61 with my Dimebucker on the second position, it reduces some of the bass heaviness. So really, any single coil with a flat bass/mid response and slightly boosted treble should do. A fast track 1 might be good if a bit more output is needed for balance, but I haven't tried it.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by evil___beaver85
How about Dimarzio True velvets? any opinions about those?

haven't tried them but i'm not that keen on the blue velvet (its predecessor).

i like the virtual vintages but i dunno how they'd match with the humbuckers.

since you have such a specific question it might be worth emailing dimarzio for advice- they should be able to tell you which singles have the correct output and tone to match with your humbuckers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DP117 is Steve's pickup, very well rounded and mixes well:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp117-hs-3-guitar-pickup
Maybe if you want something as loud as humbuckers, look at the Yngwie pickup (stacked).
Quote by diabolical
Look at Lace Sensor. I have Dimarzio pups in my Music Man Steve Man, not sure which but I think they blend well with the 'buckers.

Who the hell is Steve Man? Nah, I know it's Morse.

But I'd like to point out that True Velvets are real single coils, while just about everything else we all mentioned is hum cancelling. Not sure if you thought of it or if it affects your choice but I s'pose its something to consider
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by evil___beaver85

thats what my 3550 came with. does fine, but i never use it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by diabolical
I have Dimarzio pups in my Music Man Steve Man, not sure which but I think they blend well with the 'buckers.

They made a guitar for this?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/steve-man-minecraft-pac-man/

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if you want hot, the quarter pounder may work well if it fits right. i don't own one, but i have played a strat with one. wish i could help more on that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 27, 2014,
The guy at my local musicstore recomended Dimarzio Injectors.. Any opinions about these?

Thanks for all the advice about yngwie pickups etc, but i must stress that the only time i use the singlecoil is for cleans. And this is the thing I want to level up on.
Also I mainly use the S1 with the neck pickup 99% of the time, so forget about the Deactivator, what pickup would work great with an Air norton in position 2?

Thanks everybody!
I don't think the air norton is that hot, so I'm guessing (don't quote me) any regular-output single would balance with the split norton. As I said, though, dimarzio will be able to give you a concrete answer if you email them. This is the kind of stuff where emailing companies pays off- rather than accept some random person's opinion on a forum, you can get a straight answer from the source.

Granted if you want opinions on how good kit is, then forums are arguably better than contacting companies (because not many companies will tell you that their stuff sucks, or that a competitor's product is better ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't think the air norton is that hot, so I'm guessing (don't quote me) any regular-output single would balance with the split norton. As I said, though, dimarzio will be able to give you a concrete answer if you email them. This is the kind of stuff where emailing companies pays off- rather than accept some random person's opinion on a forum, you can get a straight answer from the source.

Granted if you want opinions on how good kit is, then forums are arguably better than contacting companies (because not many companies will tell you that their stuff sucks, or that a competitor's product is better ).

+1. however on my 3550mz the single coil (red velvet is quieter than the air norton. but i don't use the SC at all really. and when i put the CL/LF into my 2570EVSL i just left the center one standard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah even low output humbuckers (when not split) are normally a fair bit louder and thicker than single coils. at least regular output single coils.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by evil___beaver85

Really nice pickup however it just won't match the volume of the humbucker. switch positions 2 & 4 will be ok, but position 3 will be totally useless.
I wouldn't say "totally useless". Position 3 should actually be a bit louder than 2 or 4, since parallel wiring drops the output a little. If you use the lower output to your advantage it can actually be useful having different output levels from the one guitar (and if he's going to use it for cleans it sounds like he could make use of it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I wouldn't say "totally useless". Position 3 should actually be a bit louder than 2 or 4, since parallel wiring drops the output a little. If you use the lower output to your advantage it can actually be useful having different output levels from the one guitar (and if he's going to use it for cleans it sounds like he could make use of it).

*shrug*

I've got one in my RG and the volume drop is absolutely massive. The only way I can use it is if I kick in a boost pedal when I switch to it. The 2/4 position are almost twice as loud and the 1/5 position are 2.5 or more times the volume, and that's with the humbuckers seated quite low and the True Velvet raised about as high as is practical.
Do you have it wired in right? Which humbuckers are you using? Unless the humbuckers are massively higher output than the true velvet, or you've accidentally wired positions 2 and 4 in series or something like that, normally position 3 is louder than 2 or 4.

I think. Don't quote me on that. That's the way it is on my 3 pickup guitars, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Do you have it wired in right? Which humbuckers are you using? Unless the humbuckers are massively higher output than the true velvet, or you've accidentally wired positions 2 and 4 in series or something like that, normally position 3 is louder than 2 or 4.

I think. Don't quote me on that. That's the way it is on my 3 pickup guitars, though.

icronic is spot on. on my3550mz which comes with a tonezone/red velvet/air norton. and it is half the volume. it honestly is useless, UNLESS you kick in a boost for that pickup only. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Half the volume of positions 2 and 4?

I agree it's going to be a lot lower output than the humbuckers on alone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Half the volume of positions 2 and 4?

I agree it's going to be a lot lower output than the humbuckers on alone.

2 and 4 are quieter than the just one humbucker, but it is functional.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
2 and 4 are quieter than the just one humbucker, but it is functional.

huh. that's weird. unless the humbuckers are way hotter than the middle single, i guess that'd explain it, maybe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?