Hi

I've been looking at upgrading my rig for a while; my main guitar (I have five. :O) is an Epiphone LP PT Pro in Iced Tea (The colour is important...), I run it through a MXR Dime, Boss MT-2, ZW Crybaby and a Marshall MG-15 CDR.

I play anything metal, thrash, power, even a little heavier sort of stuff like death. I'd like to play Meshuggah sort of stuff, but I don't have enough strings... :P Thrash and power is what I play most.

I'm looking at buying a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo this week because I know the amp is rubbish, I doubt I will need the distortion pedals afterwards; I will likely sell them and the amp to get an Ibanez TS-9 to boost the Peavey.

That part is settled, but I'm also looking at upgrading the Epi. Apart from something with higher gain pickups, I'd like a Floyd Rose. I have little idea about how neck radius makes a neck good for shredders etcetera, but I guess a shredders neck is what I would be after.

I'm specifically looking at a Dean Dime Razorback (Skulls), but also an ESP Gus 600 FR.

How are Dean's though? I've heard some bad stuff about them, and I won't get to see this one before I've already bought it. I've never bought a guitar without playing it before, but I'll have to get this guitar (either of them) shipped over most likely. I can set it up and intonate it myself of course, that's not a problem if it arrives with a bad neck or action or something.

I'm looking at spending up to £600 I guess on a new guitar, suggestions are also welcome, otherwise just tell me what you think of Dean. (I was also looking at the Gibson ZW Moderne, a guitar shop near me has two of them.)
Sell a couple of guitars you don't use, get a 6505+ and an RG8 for da chugz.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
6505+ 1x12 is a good amp, get a Joyo Vintage OD or Digitech Bad Monkey they are as good a the TS-9 and way cheaper

I personally don't like the DIME series of guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
higher end Dean's are pretty good the cheap ones are well cheap. skip the skull paint job, when you get older you'll thank me for that. personally I'd skip the "dime" guitars and get a regular ML if I had to go that route. take some time to really check out various guitars and don't worry about being "metal \m/".

flatter fretboard radius makes playing leads easier (in theory).
Ow yeah, people at agile guitars make pretty good 8 string stuff for the money too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Skip the TS9 and get a Boss SD-1. Like 99% identical for half the price.

Also suggest dumping the gear you don't use.
Quote by Spambot_2
Ow yeah, people at agile guitars make pretty good 8 string stuff for the money too.

But there is no return policy if you buy it outside of the USA, so then it is a gamble
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As much as you probably don't want to hear it since being able to say you have 5 guitars might sound "cool", sell whatever you don't use and focus on buying quality gear you'll actually use and make the best of. As for a guitar... if you can go without a trem, check out an ESP LTD EC-1000. They're fairly cheap used and will blow away a lot of guitars even double its price.
I own 2 Deans and love them. I wouldn't buy any Dean that retails under $500 new, though. I also wouldn't buy one of the Dimebags. IMHO, they're a bit overpriced for what you get. Try looking for one of the models not branded with some artist's name and you should do fine.

ESPs are generally pretty solid options for metal guitarists. If you can't afford the ESPs, the LTDs are also usually a good deal.

If you can, check out Fernandes guitars. Solid, hard rock & metal oriented guitars throughout their product line. The Dragonfly or Revolver Superstrat style guitars might work for you, as might the Ravelle, which is an evolution of the LP. Also, look for their SHIN or Spalted models.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 26, 2014,
Quote by TauSigmaNova
Skip the TS9 and get a Boss SD-1. Like 99% identical for half the price.

dunno about that. it's a fair bit different. it's different in a way that i like. but if you want a ts, there are options which are closer than an sd1 for no more than an sd1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
dunno about that. it's a fair bit different. it's different in a way that i like. but if you want a ts, there are options which are closer than an sd1 for no more than an sd1.

+1. I have a ts type clone and an sd1. The ts is good for a tight, smooth crunch, the sd1 is good for a gritty, noisy (in a good way) crunch. They both make good boost pedals but they're different flavors.

If you like your guitar, why not get the 6505 and spend the rest on modifying the guitar more to your current standards?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I got the 6505 today and I couldn't be much happier with it.

Still stuck on the guitar though. I don't think putting a Floyd Rose in the Les Paul would be very feasible. I guess ESP and LTD are an option, a guitar shop near me specializes in ESP and Edwards. I'm likely to either go for the Dime though or the Gibson ZW Moderne.
Other than the Dime, an ML would be nice I guess.
glad you like the amp

yeah i wouldn't hack up a guitar unless as a last resort.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dragonzrmetal

Still stuck on the guitar though. I don't think putting a Floyd Rose in the Les Paul would be very feasible. I guess ESP and LTD are an option, a guitar shop near me specializes in ESP and Edwards. I'm likely to either go for the Dime though or the Gibson ZW Moderne.

Howzabout:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/monterey/monterey-elite-limited/405-monterey-elite-tremolo.html

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ravelle/ravelle-elite-tremolo.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dragonzrmetal

Pics or it's another MG.
Quote by Ippon
Pics or it's another MG.

I don't know what you mean by MG, I don't know the forum slang yet.

Anyway, pics or it didn't happen I guess. Here it is, with my Epi:

Quote by dragonzrmetal

Quote by Ippon
Pics or it's another MG.

I don't know what you mean by MG, I don't know the forum slang yet.

Marshall MG.

On topic, as someone already suggested, have a look at the PRS SE Tremonti.
Or a PRS SE Torero.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Marshall MG.

On topic, as someone already suggested, have a look at the PRS SE Tremonti.
Or a PRS SE Torero.

Hm, I don't think that's (The tremonti) quite what I want.

Well, it has no Floyd, which is the entire point of me upgrading, the pickups aren't EMG or anything metally, it has a fat neck, plus I don't like the plastic binding or dot fret markers.

I like the Torero though, I'll see if there's any local to me.

Thanks
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112