Page 1 of 2
So i've been watching some stand up comedy..

and i want in.

So i figured, the Pit being full of comedians and all, that maybe some of you have tried this before?and are stand up comedians actually funny people when not on stage?
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
well i am certainly a sit down comedian here ha hjah
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I did stand-up comedy once.

Made a lot of money, got a a bj in the backroom, and then I retired to Spain.

It was an ok experience.
If you are French then yes, people will laugh at you.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Me and the wife go to a women's comedy thing at the end of each month. inb4 women can't tell jokes.

Quite good really and people have told me I should try it as I am quite sharp but I don't have the confidence
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at May 26, 2014,
Do improv instead. It's funnier

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
it seems the real challenge is doing stand up without a single race related joke
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
it seems the real challenge is doing stand up without a single race related joke

There goes my section on track and field
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Stand up is supposed to be totally brutal. I've thought about trying it but I'd like to prepare/rehearse a lot of material first.

From what I understand, if you're starting stand up, be prepared to bomb for a while until you really get the hang of it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Doing stand up and doing it over and over again is about learning how to fail on stage and not letting that impact you. I mean, obviously you have to be funny, but accepting that you're going to bomb at times is the biggest thing you have to get over.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
a lot of good comedians also seem to be decent actors
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Come up with some material, try it out on friends or record yourself, do it in front of a mirror.

It won't hurt to try, I've watched a lot of stand up comedians, and with some of the best ones, just their act is funnier than most shit I see in any other medium.
Quote by Krieger91
Do improv instead. It's funnier

The thing about improv on TV is that it's a 30 minute show but they spent about 3 hours recording in order to sift apart the 30 minutes of gold from the 2.5 hours of mediocrity.
I actually am a somewhat famous UK comedian.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King

holy shit its you

Step 1: Go to a open mic night
Step 2: Be Louis CK
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: Profit
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Google "edgy one liner jokes" and use the results for your material. It worked for Anthony Jeselnik.
Quote by Venice King

this is like being a somewhat good wheelchair basketball player
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Seref
The thing about improv on TV is that it's a 30 minute show but they spent about 3 hours recording in order to sift apart the 30 minutes of gold from the 2.5 hours of mediocrity.

That I wouldn't really know. All I know is that Whose Line Is It Anyway is one of my favourite things ever.

Also, Colin, Ryan and Brad (from the show) have done lots of touring live improv shows on stage.

Don't get me wrong, I love some stand ups as well!

Quote by ESPLTDV401DX

This guy knows

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
^The Whose Line guys are some of, if not THE, best improv comedians in the world.

Quote by 457undead
Step 1: Go to a open mic night
Step 2: Be Louis CK
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: Profit

Have you seen Louis' stand-up from the 90's? It's really not good at all. it took him years and years to become as great as he is today.

The stuff you see on TV is the best of the best when it comes to comedy. There's so little demand for comedy than there is music. That's why I say how brutal it is. There are probably over a hundred music venues in the medium sized city I live in and one comedy club.

Brutal.

Not that I'm saying someone shouldn't try it. Just one open-mic would make you a better stand-up than me. But you better be prepared. Just because you're a hit around your friends doesn't mean you're a true entertainer.
Your first time give yourself a goal of like two laughs, cuz let's face it, you're gonna suck the very first time.

If you really, really want to give it a shot, just start writing down jokes. Any and all ideas can be developed. Just watch how other comedians structure jokes and learn how a joke works in its essence (basically, set-up+release, for now that's all you need).

Then write it into one set and memorize it, find an open mic anywhere, and get up there. I've seen everything, and let me tell you this: as long as you're not being edgy, or making pedophilia jokes for 10 mins, you'll be good. The crowd's on your side at small coffeeshop open mics, usually. The important thing is to just do it and see how awesome it is to be up there.

I can give you some more advice. Like not making a joke much longer and all that, but that stuff you'll learn. The important thing is to start writing and then get on stage. No matter how much advice I give you or books you read, experience is really the only thing that'll get you to improve and once you're up there, you're already racking up experience and learning how to handle a crowd (and not be affected by silence)
thanks guys i have never seen a stand up comedian in person and this helped a lot! il post my attempt on you tube once Ive written a few things down
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I've done stand up.
I gained a regular booking at a club because I'd made the club owner literaly wet himself laughing when I was out for a drink with him.

It went down OK, but I didn't enjoy it because it just seemed strange standing on a stage, on my own, with nothing but a mic, when i was used to standing on a stage with a group of other people with a guitar in my hands. So I gave it up.

Rule Number One.... if you're not enjoying it then there's no point in doing it.
the thing, I feel like you should be able to act a little too. or am I wrong here? cause in the netherlands, loads of comedians play in dutch tv-shows or movies as well.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
the thing, I feel like you should be able to act a little too. or am I wrong here? cause in the netherlands, loads of comedians play in dutch tv-shows or movies as well.

Yeah, a stand-up's act is a constructed persona/character they put on. Their persona may be very similar to themselves in real life or it may not be at all. Gilbert Gottfried only talks like he's know for because he realized it was a funny schtick and has stuck with it for so long he now avoids speaking normally in public. I imagine many other comics act very similarly to their natural personality/speech patterns, but that's all a very conscious decision which they have rehearsed and act out.
It's something I've seriously considered doing. Not that I'm even a funny person in general, I just like writing and think it's something I could be decent at if I actually tried.

But then I remember I have a habit of copying too much of my influence when coming up with original stuff(music/stories/movie ideas etc). My set/character would just be a combination of Louie CK and Carlin, but with the demeanor of Mitch Hegberg
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
thanks guys i have never seen a stand up comedian in person and this helped a lot! il post my attempt on you tube once Ive written a few things down

If by this you mean you've never seen a show live then you need to, a local small comedy show in the back of a pub is going to be very different from a stand up show made for TV.

If that's not what you meant...
OUT OF ORDER
It seems like literally the hardest thing in the world, so no, I wouldn't wanna do it
Quote by theogonia777
this is like being a somewhat good wheelchair basketball player

Short and awkward but still better than their american counterparts?
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Google "edgy one liner jokes" and use the results for your material. It worked for Anthony Jeselnik.

False, he's an excellent joke-writer.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Page 1 of 2