Hi guys. I'm buying a Rode M3, first mic I've ever bought. I have no other recording equipment. Only a laptop. Will a Blue Icicle suffice to plug it straight into my laptop and record or am I going to encounter latency/loudness issues?
That's what I would call a mixer. Yes, it has a USB line that could go to a PC. But I would recommend something like:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i4.htm

That device I linked is designed solely for recording. You plug it into your computer, record via your DAW (aka "Digital Audio Workspace" or "recording program"), and then mix it in your DAW.

I would NOT use a mixer; that's more for live sound.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 26, 2014,
Thanks so much man. I don't have a clue where to even start but that's got me right on track with it.
Bump to ask a question.

Just bought a Terrasoniq Phase X64 along with the Rode M3. Problem is, I can't seem to get a proper recording out of the two. The sound only comes out of one earphone and the quality is terrible. I have never setup an audio interface before. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm running the Rode M3 through the Terrasoniq through the XLR cable, and straight into my laptop.