Hey Guys, Not sure if it suited to put this year, or in the "Guitars" section..
But you guys seem to know what your talking about when it comes to building stuff, so im sure you know your way with Speakers.

Anyway.
Considering trying out one of these new Jet City amps.
The question isn't whether or not i should get one...but.

Combo or Head + Cab ?

Basically..it worked out that I can get the 50watt combo( http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_jca5212rc.htm )

Or the head? See..I already have a cab at home, so it would save me 100 euro ( funds are desperately tight at the moment.. I know you're going to tell me to save..but really.. If you can answer the question i'd really appreciate it)

The Cab i have is a Behringer Ultra Stack 4x12.
I'm aware it's not great..But for the sake of 100 quid,

Could you tell me if the speakers in the combo are much better than the cab I have at home?

Any other questions just fire ahead!
Heres the link to the speakers for the Combo, and the speakers i would be using with the Head.

Combo - http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_jca5212rc.htm
Head - http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BG412H.aspx

Thanks a million lads! really appreciate it
The 5212 combo is not the same as the JCA 100 head.

The 5212 combo is a mid gain amp with a much better clean channel than the Jet City 50/100/100hdm heads. The JCA 100 is a Higain head and it doesn't have a "clean" channel but it can do cleans
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The 5212 combo is not the same as the JCA 100 head.

The 5212 combo is a mid gain amp with a much better clean channel than the Jet City 50/100/100hdm heads. The JCA 100 is a Higain head and it doesn't have a "clean" channel but it can do cleans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mApt-XTz5iI&feature=share

Yeah, when I meant "or the head" I meant the 50 watt head.

I can't stress enough how much i'm Not asking about what amp to pick...

But more so..Are those Behringer Cab Speakers much better/worse than the stock ones that come with the Jet City combo?
Quote by glenn.colclough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mApt-XTz5iI&feature=share

Yeah, when I meant "or the head" I meant the 50 watt head.

I can't stress enough how much i'm Not asking about what amp to pick...

But more so..Are those Behringer Cab Speakers much better/worse than the stock ones that come with the Jet City combo?

The 50 watt head is different than the 5212 combo. Just letting you know The 5012 combo is the same as the 50 watt head.

If it is the older one with the Jensen Mod speakers it is decent for a cheap cab.

Why don't you sell the Behringer cab for €100 and buy this cab with the head.
www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
what robb said. they're out of stock of the 50 watt combo you want.

the stock jet city speakers aren't bad, i've tried a lot worse OEM speakers, but at the same time I think (good) name brand speakers are better, too. As robb says, the harley benton g212 vintage is hard to beat for the money (it costs less than the speakers in it cost separately) and the speakers suit the amp pretty well, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last 2 replies were actually really helpful. Thanks a million!

Yeah I do know a guy who got that cab in particular before..Except..He spent all his money on an Orange Rockerverb...and that cab really doesn't do it any justice haha. But thats not my problem!

Well See..

I have a choice. Theres a guy nearby selling the Jet City JCA5212RC 50watt Combo second hand(pretty clean though) for 300 quid...

But for 300, I could get this Head brand new?
http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

So it's really a matter of are the Combo speakers THAT much better than the behringer ones? Or could i save myself buying a second hand amp, buy the head, and then save for a cab to go with it? (ideally a 2x12).

Is the 50watt head in question any different to the 50watt combo?

Thanks so much for the replies.
Glenn
Quote by glenn.colclough
Last 2 replies were actually really helpful. Thanks a million!

Yeah I do know a guy who got that cab in particular before..Except..He spent all his money on an Orange Rockerverb...and that cab really doesn't do it any justice haha. But thats not my problem!

Well See..

I have a choice. Theres a guy nearby selling the Jet City JCA5212RC 50watt Combo second hand(pretty clean though) for 300 quid...

But for 300, I could get this Head brand new?
http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

So it's really a matter of are the Combo speakers THAT much better than the behringer ones? Or could i save myself buying a second hand amp, buy the head, and then save for a cab to go with it? (ideally a 2x12).

Is the 50watt head in question any different to the 50watt combo?

Thanks so much for the replies.
Glenn

Yes the JCA50h is different than the JCA5212rc.
The 2x12 50 watt Jet City is a budget version of the Soldano Lucky13 which is a mid-gain amp with a nice clean channel.
The JCA 50h is a budget version of the Soldano Hot Rod Avenger, which is a rock/metal machine.

The speakers in the 4x12 you have should be fine until you can buy a better cab. The HB 212 vintage cab is good for the money and would be better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Another brilliant reply, thanks so much! I was unaware the differences.

So, the JCA 50h seems like the better option. That said, I only ever use the clean channel? The stuff I play is heavily distorted but i never really liked distortions that came with amps, so I just have a massive array of distortion/octave pedals.

Lastly then, (and I sware this isn't a plug..)
But when you said "Metal" it kind of worried me. As i said above, I do use a lot of distortion, but far from metal. Play in an Original 3 piece band, To give you a quick idea, this is the kind of stuff im aiming for.

The first track; Black Ashtray should give you an idea.
http://breakingtunes.com/deadbeatcircus

Thanks so much in advance, being really helpful here.

(Incase your wondering, the guitars on that song were recorded with a modded AC30 and a Roland Jazz Chorus)
Last edited by glenn.colclough at May 26, 2014,
The 5212rc might work better for you. It is a budget Lucky 13 which has a Fender style clean channel which accepts pedals very well.

The lead channel is soposedly a Hotrod Plexi, so not as modern as the JCA50h. You can always drive another cab plus the 2 speakers in the combo at the same time

This video is on the lucky 13 but it should give you an idea of what the amp can do.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfEgAS0njsU
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The 5212rc might work better for you. It is a budget Lucky 13 which has a Fender style clean channel which accepts pedals very well.

The lead channel is soposedly a Hotrod Plexi, so not as modern as the JCA50h. You can always drive another cab plus the 2 speakers in the combo at the same time

This video is on the lucky 13 but it should give you an idea of what the amp can do.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfEgAS0njsU

Darn, just when i thought I had my mind made up hehe.
I did start leaning towards the head a/cab a bit more. Especially since i just found out you can buy different colour baffles for the heads. they look sick in white.

Anyways, So the jca50h simply won't take pedals well or?
Quote by glenn.colclough
Darn, just when i thought I had my mind made up hehe.
I did start leaning towards the head a/cab a bit more. Especially since i just found out you can buy different colour baffles for the heads. they look sick in white.

Anyways, So the jca50h simply won't take pedals well or?

They do alright. Their FX loop gets a lot of flack because the way it is designed some pedals don't work very well at all. They do take pedals pretty well in front of the amp though.

Either one should work fine for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They do alright. Their FX loop gets a lot of flack because the way it is designed some pedals don't work very well at all. They do take pedals pretty well in front of the amp though.

Either one should work fine for you

Ahh okay, Well i was more concerned about distortions more so than crazy synths/wahs/etc. So I'm sure i'll be fine.

Just wanted to say thanks so much for everything man, really appreciate it.
I'm rarely on these forums, is there a way to like..Rate someone or something ? Like yahoo answers or whatever ?
^ I don't think so (the rating thing)

yeah what he said about the amps. Don't buy the 5212 for £300 used, you can get one new for that on thomann (the thomann prices are euros fwiw) or not much more (£315... probably more like £320-£325 once your credit card charges its foreign transaction fee...) and you have a 3-year warranty (you'd need to get a UK kettle lead or an earthed adaptor which aren't much).

which amp distortion tones don't you like? it's your call and different players have different opinions, but with something like the jet city i dunno if you'd be avoiding the od channel and using pedals...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I don't think so (the rating thing)

yeah what he said about the amps. Don't buy the 5212 for £300 used, you can get one new for that on thomann (the thomann prices are euros fwiw) or not much more (£315... probably more like £320-£325 once your credit card charges its foreign transaction fee...) and you have a 3-year warranty (you'd need to get a UK kettle lead or an earthed adaptor which aren't much).

which amp distortion tones don't you like? it's your call and different players have different opinions, but with something like the jet city i dunno if you'd be avoiding the od channel and using pedals...

Hey, yeah im definitely going for the head I think. I only have a 4x12 cab at the moment, but it will do till i get a 2x12.
The warranty is handy, my first tube amp too, so would be kind of sketchy.

Ah..This is kind of embarassing actually..But i counted up the other day, I have about 22 too different distortions, and you'd be surprised how many of them are single pedals. Boss distortions, Marshall Guvnors... At the moment I seem to be fond of Pro Co's Dirty Rat pedal, and (please hold the hate :L ) I'm actually using a Boss Super-Octave, with the drive setting and the octave actually turned off. I really like the distortion, and have written it into a song or 2 with the band.

A lot of people ask me what kind of tone im going for ? As in..Name a guitarist and pick that tone. But i can never do it.. I suppose because everything is so backwards with me.
My band started the band, then learned instruments. And we've always written original music so we never had a problem with "sounding" like a different band..We just kind of sound like..Us i guess ?
i have loads of pedals too it doesn't have to be either/or, you can use the od channel on the amp, or pedals, or both together.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?