Hey guys! My peavey windsor was being used by our buddy tonight as they were opening for hawthorne heights and in the middle of their set, just stopped. I ran to the back of it, nothing unplugged, no power. Touch it and its hot, (obviously its cranked) pop out the fuse cant tell if its blown, its this weird gray covered fuse. Pop it back in, shine a light on the tubes, look fine, no black. Still not getting any power, but there is like a really hot smell, the kind you get from monitors being pushed too hard.

Whay do you guys think happened, they carted it out after and our friend said he would fix it, but do you guys think its serious? Also he broke a string on one of my guitars, guys a real homewrecker -___-
Also i noticed when they were playing they had a surge protector plugged into a surge protector.
If it was mine I'd be pulling it apart and checking for scorch marks and cooked components. It could be a few things;
Blown tube that took out the HT fuse, could have cooked a screen resistor, incorrect biasing that also took out a tube. That's just the first things that come to mind.
Just because a tube is glowing, that doesn't mean it isn't blown, it just means that the heater didn't blow.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard, tubes are not glowing haha, wont even turn on, probably wont have access to it for a couple days, im honestly freaking out though, our buddy says he will get it fixed no matter what it is, im just really scared.
The main fuse probably is blown then. The overheating thing is a bit worrying. I'd still be looking inside it for scorching. Then I'd replace the fuse, turn it on and measure the bias current.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Another possibility is a fried transformer. Happened to me a number of years back when running monitors for a gig with a guitarist who apparently didn't know which plugs went where and long story short, cooked it. I remember the smell being very strong but it was also accompanied by some smoke so if you didn't get that then it may just be a fuse as has been mentioned.

My question would be why it was cranked so hard on stage? Whenever I'm mixing a band I try to have the amps on stage running at a moderate volume at the most, the quieter the better to make monitor mixing an easier task.
Quote by diabolical
I had same thing happen...they apparently have an internal fuse that is proprietary. Mine was under warranty so it was replaced for free, took forever for Peavey to send that to the tech.

there is an HT fuse somewhere on the board inside. it sounds like it didn't blow when it should have if you saw smoke and smelled something hot.

BUT DON'T POKE AROUND UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET ZAPPED.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Weybl Himself
My question would be why it was cranked so hard on stage? Whenever I'm mixing a band I try to have the amps on stage running at a moderate volume at the most, the quieter the better to make monitor mixing an easier task.
So you're one of those sound guys I tell to go **** themselves?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eh Cath I share your vies, but where I run sound a few bands have named me Cap't Turndown. But in my defense the venue is not exactly huge and the owners want it a certain way. Now if the band draws a crowd, there is no issues with volume.

Some of the loudest bands are old blues guys cranking an old Deluxe/Bluesbreaker.

I asked this one guy Lil' Ed if he could bring his stage volume down just a bit. he told me " Man, your fukkin with my tone!" after that I brought everything else up to match his level
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

I asked this one guy Lil' Ed if he could bring his stage volume down just a bit. he told me " Man, your fukkin with my tone!" after that I brought everything else up to match his level

So you were
So you was fukkin with his tone 😀
Last edited by diabolical at May 27, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Cap't Turndown.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Eh Cath I share your vies, but where I run sound a few bands have named me Cap't Turndown. But in my defense the venue is not exactly huge and the owners want it a certain way. Now if the band draws a crowd, there is no issues with volume.

Some of the loudest bands are old blues guys cranking an old Deluxe/Bluesbreaker.

i have done the same thing as Lil' Ed. if you are running a non master amp, you gotta get it loud enough so at least i can get the natural breakup i want. usually it isn't a huge issue, but it does get irritating.

and more and more venues are wanting it quieter. i don't go to a concert to hear quiet TV volume music, i go for the bands, intensity, volume, booze, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
With me it's not just about tone. I use a lot of feedback, if I have to turn down then there's a buttload of my technique unavailable to me. If I have to turn down that low then I never return to that venue, it gets blackbanned. If you can't host a rock/punk band playing at rock/punk volumes, don't book those sort of bands, arsewipe. Stick to acoustic duos and stop wasting my ****ing time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification