I've got a Schecter Omen 6 that I bought new some time ago and the tone control has never really worked well. It does nothing for the upper 75% of its range. It does all of its business in the next 10%, and then nothing in the bottom 15%.

That is, it goes through all of its adjustment in 1/10 turn of the knob, and the rest of the range it does nothing. It's difficult to use like this. It does this on all three pickup switch settings.

Is this normal for this guitar?
Your guitar probably has a tone capacitor that delivers a shrill high tone for playing lead. If you want something different you can to replace the capacitor. Seymour Duncan’s site explains this in detail: http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/guitar/customize-your-caps/

It could also be a 1meg tone pot. You can read about different tone pots at: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/w101-controlpots.html
Last edited by jpnyc at May 27, 2014,
The range of tones I get is fine. They're just all located in 1/10 turn of the knob, rather than spread out over a full turn.
Get a good quality potentiomter for your tone control. A lot of the pots in low end and midrange guitars have poor potentiometers installed. I've even come across high end ones that the pots were not satisfactory. There is a great deal of variance as far as the actual resistance value and taper control in them also. I've seen up to a 20% variance from 500K and 250K pots. If you replace a pot that has a value of 500K ( I rarely ever see one that's actually 500, they're usually less) with one that measures 490K , it will color your sound a bit darker. And vice versa. Do yourself a favor and get a quality set of volume and tone pots before changing caps. I prefer to use linear taper for volume and audio taper for tone and then whatever cap for the tone pot. You can get whatever you deem fit for your guitar. ( I decide on the value of the tone cap when I know what the pot measures to suit my preference for desired sound.) I also like to use caps on the volume pot for treble compensation when I dial my volume down to maintain the highs. This requires me to have a tone pot that has a good taper control so that I can smooth the sound out a bit if I need to. Get yourself educated on guitar controls and get a multimeter ( they're cheap and an invaluable and necessary tool). Learn this stuff and you will be well on your way to dialing in the tones you want from your instrument.
Last edited by stringDIA at May 27, 2014,
I replaced the pickups in this guitar yesterday with Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhems. I found that the capacitor was not wired correctly, or at least it wasn't wired according to the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram for 2 humbucker, 1 tone, 1 volume, 3-position switch. They use the two leads in two-conductor wires for two separate tasks, and they had the two leads on one end of one of the wires switched, grounding the tone pot on two terminals and connecting the capacitor to the wrong place.

So, I fixed this...and still have the same problem. Maybe the original wiring was appropriate for the stock Schecter pickups, afterall.

I don't know what capacitor is in this thing, but the pots are both labeled 500K. I was thinking I'd first replace the capacitor, in case it was just bad. I'm not sure what makes a better pot, so I'm not sure I can make a positive change swapping those. And in any case, I learned that I suck at soldering
Last edited by amyhughes at Jun 23, 2014,