Beginner type player - trying to step up a little bit. Practicing songs that have some string skipping. Every breath you take, sweet child...

I am getting mad because i can never seem to play the riff cleanly - all the way through. Even on the rare occasion that i do manage to play clean I always mess it up the next time through.

My main problem right now is just missing notes. I pluck in the vicinity of the string but i don't actually touch the string.

Is there a trick to guiding your hand up and down with greater precision or a practice method that really works well? I ask because i've been putting my time in and i can't solve my problem. I'm about to punch a wall. Getting frustrated.
Practice slowly
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You mean such as the intro to Sweet Child? (It's been awhile)

I'd suggest taking it slow by going with a simple string skipping exercise if it's really tripping you up. You can do a simple picking pattern of all the open strings first, for example

E, A, E, D, E, G, E, B, E, e
A, D, A, G, A, B, A, e

*by string number
6, 5, 6, 4, 6, 3, 6, 2, 6, 1
5, 4, 5, 3, 5, 2, 5, 1

Ascending and then descending order. Simply playing more songs would help as well. Eventually it will become much more intuitive. I would say to avoid anchoring of any sort, but take note of how and where the base of your palm may brush against or near the strings/bridge. Avoid resting or placing the entire weight of the hand on any single point (such as your pinky) while picking. It feels like a crutch in my case and I never felt the need to anchor in that manner, I can imagine it getting in the way of more advanced techniques later on as well. Then again I don't study other guitarists a great deal so perhaps a great many do it anyways. And most likely play better than me

In my case, the most I do is the base of my palm lightly brushes against the top of the bridge saddles while I'm playing. It may just as well help me picture or intuitively know where the next string I want to pluck is located.
Last edited by Night at May 27, 2014,
Try using a firm pick if you are not already.

Always pick a note in the direction of your next note. Down pick if the following note is on a string below the current note, and up pick for the opposite.

Play the song slower until you get the hang of it
Just my two cents worth, but try playing some songs where you're arpeggiating full chords, like the beginning of Highway Song by Blackfoot or Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd (I'm sure you can find tabs on the net). I think that sort of forms the foundation of teaching your right hand where the strings are located across the guitar, and then when you start doing string skipping, you're used to moving around and it makes everything easier.
Quote by wildozer
Try using a firm pick if you are not already.

Always pick a note in the direction of your next note. Down pick if the following note is on a string below the current note, and up pick for the opposite.

Play the song slower until you get the hang of it

Progress report:

I'm sounding crappier and slower than ever before.
I had been plucking every note downward and I didn't even know to mention that. This practice of alternating up-picks and down-picks feels very unnatural to me but I kept at it until I started to feel a bit of a rhythm. I'm still not able to play it cleanly at the proper tempo but i'm not as frustrated. it feels like a method that should work.

also adding simple man to my practice list. thanks again for advice.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Progress report:

I'm sounding crappier and slower than ever before.
I had been plucking every note downward and I didn't even know to mention that. This practice of alternating up-picks and down-picks feels very unnatural to me but I kept at it until I started to feel a bit of a rhythm. I'm still not able to play it cleanly at the proper tempo but i'm not as frustrated. it feels like a method that should work.

also adding simple man to my practice list. thanks again for advice.

Hahahahah you were only down picking. There's your problem son. Alternating your picking direction is extremely important throughout all of your playing. It'll feel natural to you in no time once you begin to feel its benefits. It's all about "economy of motion". I would never play the sweet child intro with all down picks, because well, that's just silly!

Good luck with it, and I'm glad you've found something that helps.