the last few days i have been playing (on four different guitars) that my fingers on my left hand are grey. i don't have acidic sweat, i am not near the water anymore (by choice don't like the idea of storm surge) and i do keep strings for a long time 6-8 months minimum. they sound good still, there is no rust or visible wear and its just been the last few days?

one just got restrung. the others between 4-6 months.

they are d'addario nickle blues .11's, and between lessons, open mics and gigs i at least average playing 2 to 2.5 hours a day on average.

the guitars are two american teles a 2011 STD, and a 1997 american deluxe special plus II, a ibanez prestige 2750evsl and a 1995 Mexican Strat.

neer hapened before. and i wash my hands and dry thoroughly.

not really a big deal, but i have used the exact strings for damn near 10 years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I experience the same basic thing in Dallas. Probably a quick wipe with a good cloth will alleviate the problem if it concerns you.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Your sweat is acidic , just not as strong as others, Grey fingers are normal.
It is your guitars way of telling you moving away from the water in Florida is a huge no-no

I can't stand inland Fl that much at all.

I can't really give any info, never use those type of strings, but it sounds like the nickel is wearing off.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i use those and it happens to me sometimes. some sets more than others but recently (humidity back) it's done it more and more often.
Only happens to me with my classical guitar's nylon strings.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's just a corrosive reaction between fingers and strings, though you're probably just sliding last week's corrosion onto your fingertips at your most recent playing. Two things will generally slow down string corrosion (in addition to your wipeage). One is to put a piece of long, skinny plastic between your strings and your frets when you put the guitar in the case (it keeps them from making electric contact with the frets, which can affect corrosion of both strings and frets), and toss a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) in the case with the guitar. VCIs are routinely used for everything from tools to aircraft parts storage to gun storage. They output a vapor that condenses on the metal (in particular) parts of the guitar, just a few molecules thick and entirely unnoticeable (no, it won't affect tone, and yes, it's fine for nitrocellulose finishes). If you're going to go that long between string changes (I change mine often, and mostly use cheap strings), this will definitely reduce the frey fingertips you're experiencing.
i get gunk on my fingers all the time
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is your guitars way of telling you moving away from the water in Florida is a huge no-no

I can't stand inland Fl that much at all.

I can't really give any info, never use those type of strings, but it sounds like the nickel is wearing off.

it would make sense that the nickle is wearing off. it is proper color.

i am still close, (i can get to a beach in under 30 minutes easily). and i came out way on top of the deal on the sale and new home purchase, smaller mortgage, bigger and nicer house. up to date with the hurricane codes after the 2004 year.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's just "dust" from the strings, caused by the metal reacting with your skin. Nothing a clean cloth or a trip to the sink won't fix.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it would make sense that the nickle is wearing off. it is proper color.

i am still close, (i can get to a beach in under 30 minutes easily). and i came out way on top of the deal on the sale and new home purchase, smaller mortgage, bigger and nicer house. up to date with the hurricane codes after the 2004 year.

I live 5 min with traffic to the beach and that is almost too far
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate