So I'm at the stage in my guitar learning experience where I progressing and maybe becoming obsessed with sweep picking. It feels like a major feat after all the time spent dreaming about it. I'm nowhere near a master by any means but I uploaded a video on youtube so I could share it here with you guys...

http://youtu.be/ren9AaWJCmU

My main problem aside from a little timing I noticed in the video is ringing open strings. Especially the g string. It makes the sweeps really hard to understand even when I hit them right I'm not sure what I need to do to stop it.

My question or you guys is... How did you come to sweep without disturbing the open strings? Was it just time and practice? Or a technique adjustment?

Any and all comments/answers you have are much appreciated!!
I mute the unwanted strings
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Yeah, muting is the answer, pick hand muting is going to be it in this case I reckon but you should also make sure your fretting hand is muting effectively as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Also try less gain and more mids in your tone, you don't need that much gain and you do need mids to be heard in a real world situation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Also, try to accent every downbeat AND practice slowly at low gain first (to make sure that the notes sound), then move on to med-high gain to practice muting.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, muting is the answer, pick hand muting is going to be it in this case I reckon but you should also make sure your fretting hand is muting effectively as well.

Also try less gain and more mids in your tone, you don't need that much gain and you do need mids to be heard in a real world situation.

Thanks for the help! After watching that and studying my own playing though, I've realized that for the most part, I already do a lot of muting with my picking hand in regular playing. At the same time though, I'm not sure if I've been applying it to sweeping or not... I don't really think about it honestly.

As far as muting strings above my index finger though, I don't, so I guess that may be something I should work on. But the trouble I'm finding in my sweeping is when my index finger comes off the g string to move to the high e. I dot feel as if I'm pulling off but it definitely rings like I do.
Last edited by BoStros at May 27, 2014,
Quote by Archer250
Also, try to accent every downbeat AND practice slowly at low gain first (to make sure that the notes sound), then move on to med-high gain to practice muting.

What do you mean by accent the downbeat? If you mean the lower notes, they're definitely there, you'll just have to forgive crappy sound recording on my phone.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

This was awesome helped me. My muting has always been a little off now I know exactly why!
What do you mean by accent the downbeat? If you mean the lower notes, they're definitely there, you'll just have to forgive crappy sound recording on my phone.[/QUOTwhen you tap your foot to the beat, you have an up beat and a down beat. So in an 8 note run: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, you accent the 1 2 3 4
Gear: