I currently own a squire affinity fat strat, and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little better. I play a few different genres, like blues (clapton/BB King stuff), rock (lot of John Frusciante, jimmy paige), as well as some more rhythm rock stuff, and some heavier stuff (heavier nirvana stuff mainly.) I know strats are pretty versatile, but I'd like to have something a little different looking/sounding, and i love how the es-339 looks. I was mainly wondering if the es-339 is versatile enough for my tastes/ will if fulfill all of my needs.

Any other suggestions would be great as well. Price range anywhere from $400-$800 (Unless i really love it).

Thanks a lot.
I'm a Strat addict, so that being said I would probably go with the Strat, although I think either would be a fine choice.

If you choose to get another Strat, with your budget I would look into some of the other Fender models in your price range. At the top end of your budget there's the American Special Strat, which is a US model with Texas Special pickups which should cover pretty much all of the tonal range you're looking for.

I highly recommend wiring your Strat's bridge pickup to the bottom tone control. Some Fender models already come with this feature (the American Special does, in addition to the Greasebucket tone circuit.). This will allow you to roll off unwanted highs on the bridge pickup for the heavier tones you're wanting. My two main guitars are both Strats and they have this done to them (I have an American Special and an MIM, for the record).

Of course, you could drop a splittable, single spaced humbucker in the bridge of the Strat too.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I have three at the music store I work in, and dislike all three. They're the only three I've tried, however, and they're fairly close in production date, so it could just be a bummer run.

The ES-339 Standard (the $400 one) just seems very cheap and rushed. There's not a lot of attention paid to it in terms of end-result quality. That's something you can get away with on a Strat and accidentally make a gem, but a semi-hollow requires more attention.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I have three at the music store I work in, and dislike all three. They're the only three I've tried, however, and they're fairly close in production date, so it could just be a bummer run.

The ES-339 Standard (the $400 one) just seems very cheap and rushed. There's not a lot of attention paid to it in terms of end-result quality. That's something you can get away with on a Strat and accidentally make a gem, but a semi-hollow requires more attention.

I've sort of formed the same opinion. Building a semi-hollow is a far more complicated build than putting together a strat, and a relatively cheap strat has a much better chance of being a good piece than does a cheap semihollow.