Hey guys,I was just wondering if any of you could answer this question for me.

If a guitar is,lets say,7 or 8 years old and it's only been plugged in an amp about 2 times or maybe even never at all,in it's life. Will the electronics still work as good as new,or do you think there's a chance of it being faulty?

If anyone knows,I'd really appreciate the help!!

Many Thanks.
If it wasn't broken before, why would it be technically be broken now?
Not saying anything about neck or string condition though.
When I think about something electronic sitting somewhere for many years,going through weather changes,being around moisture and especially being around the ocean air (where I live) there's a chance of it being "faulty" like maybe rust. That is what happens to most things,here where i live.

I'm not clued up on electric guitars and I've never opened the back of one,so I don't know what's in there. That is why I ask,because I'm unsure,I don't know whether it's electronic can ware over time or not,even if its not being used.
Everything degrades with time. After 7 or 8 years though the only things I would expect not to work very well are the jack socket ( can be replaced for less than 100R or cleaned up with Servisol contact cleaner on a cotton bud without removing it ) and the volume and tone controls which will the a little noisy ( again, can be cleaned - but will need to take off the sratchplate or access plate ).
Quote by PSimonR
Everything degrades with time. After 7 or 8 years though the only things I would expect not to work very well are the jack socket ( can be replaced for less than 100R or cleaned up with Servisol contact cleaner on a cotton bud without removing it ) and the volume and tone controls which will the a little noisy ( again, can be cleaned - but will need to take off the sratchplate or access plate ).

Exactly. The only moving parts are the knobs, and maybe the jack. I wouldn't be worried about it. 7 or 8 years is not a long time when guitars are concerned. Unless you were storing it underwater, the ocean air shouldn't be THAT big of a deal. I could see it affecting the electronics a little, but they should still work.
Plug that bad boy in and see what happens!
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by GrimR22
When I think about something electronic sitting somewhere for many years,going through weather changes,being around moisture and especially being around the ocean air (where I live) there's a chance of it being "faulty" like maybe rust. That is what happens to most things,here where i live.

I'm not clued up on electric guitars and I've never opened the back of one,so I don't know what's in there. That is why I ask,because I'm unsure,I don't know whether it's electronic can ware over time or not,even if its not being used.

You should be able to look at the guitar and see whether the frets, strings, bridge, tailpiece and tuners have begun to corrode. If so, it's likely that sea air has gotten to the pots, switches and perhaps even the pickup coil wire. If it looks in generally good condition, it may be that the worst you have to contend with is a bit of corrosion on the pots, and that can easily be cleaned up with something like DeOxit. In any case the cost of replacement hardware is relatively inexpensive (tech labor, if you're not a decent hand with a soldering iron, will add a bit more). I usually recommend a book called "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine (around $20 on Amazon) as a good starting point for setups and basic maintenance of your guitar.
Dan Erlewine... does he have anything to do with Stew Mac, as in the guy who does tech tip videos?
Quote by dazza027
Dan Erlewine... does he have anything to do with Stew Mac, as in the guy who does tech tip videos?

Yup, he's in a lot of them.