hi ive got audition in a week for a music academy and i need to play something on guitar i need ideas please help something thats good easy to remember and fast for learn
i have only played guitar for 3 months
not sure if it's what you're after but,
this was the VERY first thing I ever learnt on the guitar (but a slightly simplified version).
I remember it took me about a week, but everyone's different.

It's a song Called "Ballad of a Crystal Man" by Donavan.

Once you learn the finger picking part, try to sing and play it.
and if you find that too hard, just gently strum the chords during the singing parts:

Good Luck!

here's a link to the official song:
Ballad Of A Crystal Man

here's a decent cover version:
Cover Version

UG's Guitar TAB

Chords and Lyrics

My Simplified Version:
           [U]Chord Shapes[/U]
  (G)       C        G        D
e|-x-|   e|-x-|   e|-x-|   e|-x-|   
B|-3-|   B|-1-|   B|-0-|   B|-3-|   
G|-0-|   G|-0-|   G|-0-|   G|-2-|   
D|-0-|   D|-2-|   D|-0-|   D|-0-|   
A|-x-|   A|-x-|   A|-x-|   A|-x-|   
E|-3-|   E|-3-|   E|-3-|   E|-2-|   

[U]Picking Hand Notation:[/U]
P = Thumb (notated below Tab)
i = Index Finger (notated above Tab)
m = Middle Finger (notated above Tab)

(G)                C                 G                 G
    m     i   m       m     i   m       m     i   m       i     i   m     
    1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4  
e|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-
B|--3---------3----|--1---------1----|--0---------0----|------------3----|-
G|--------0--------|--------0--------|--------0--------|--2-----2--------|-
D|------0-------0--|------2-------2--|------0-------0--|------0-------0--|-
A|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-
E|--3-------3------|--3-------3------|--3-------3------|--2-------2------|-
    P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P

G                 C                 G                 D
    m     i   m   i   m     i   m   i   m     i   m   i   i     i   m   i
    1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4     1   2   3   4  
e|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|| E
B|--0---------0----|--1---------1----|--0---------0----|------------3---3||  t
G|--------0-------0|--------0-------0|--------0-------0|--2-----2--------||   c...
D|------0-------0--|------2-------2--|------0-------0--|------0-------0--||     E
A|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------||      t
E|--3-------3------|--3-------3------|--3-------3------|--2-------2------||       c...
    P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P     P   P   P   P 
Last edited by tonibet72 at May 27, 2014,
Quote by crinsober
i was going for vocals but the course is vocals and guitar

Whatever you can already sing and play. You've left this wayy late.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The guitar professor at the school i went to always said of auditions "I'd much rather hear you shred on Autumn Leaves than fumble around Giant Steps." Play something that you already know (I know this has been said so I'm reiterating), that you're confident you can nail and shows the faculty that you're serious. It doesn't have to be wicked hard just well executed. And play something that highlights your voice if thats your main instrument
IDK what type of music you play/how good you are, so suggesting something is kinda silly. Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley? Or maybe a Bob Dylan song, theyre easy to play and sound so much better with an actual vocalist
What songs do you actually know well so we can help you with your decision? I remember having to learn Autumn leaves on a piano in college for a theory class. He wouldn't let me do it on a guitar because he wanted my piano and sightreading skills to improve.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Wait is this a real music school or just a high school class you're going to take regardless of how you do in the audition?

If it's a real music school, like for a BA in Music, you should probably set your sights on auditioning next year.

If it's a high school thing, **** it, do whatever you're already good at.
Jeese...dude. 3 months playing, your audition is in a week, and you somehow figure you'll nail it? Yeah, no...switch to a vocals course. No way are you nailing the guitar part.
Do you need to play a guitar piece or could you just play chords on guitar and sing over them? If it's the former, you are too late and too inexperienced. If it's the latter, pick a simple song that you can already sing. There are lots of songs with just four (sometimes less) chords.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Margaritaville
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by AlanHB
Whatever you can already sing and play. You've left this wayy late.

guitar hero is bullshit if anything it stalls your learning progress and i only got a weeks notice i can do vocals no problems im a vocalist i can do scales minor major blues etc
Quote by losing battle
What songs do you actually know well so we can help you with your decision? I remember having to learn Autumn leaves on a piano in college for a theory class. He wouldn't let me do it on a guitar because he wanted my piano and sightreading skills to improve.

i know stone sour through glass off by heart the rest of the songs i know is fast paced like dragonforce etc
I presume meant sing the Dragonforce stuff because clearly can't be suggesting you're able to play it..
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by crinsober
guitar hero is bullshit if anything it stalls your learning progress and i only got a weeks notice i can do vocals no problems im a vocalist i can do scales minor major blues etc

Ok, play a song that you cam play and sing well.

Also the Guitar Hero comment is my sig. It will appear on everything I write.

Observe vvvvv
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud