About a month ago my band had to put itself on hold and I've not had as much fun playing on my own since. I've been playing for 11 years and my playing has just become very lacklustre lately. I pick up my guitar and go through my warm ups, sclaes, arpeggios chords etc... Then put on a record and learn a new song, or use a backing track to do some improvising, then work on a song I've been writting/currently am writing.
This all has become very dull on my own... Any tips on how to start enjoying playing the guitar on my own again?
I usually have the same problem with my piano playing, but I still practice a lot. I just know it will eventually get better when my hand independence improves. Right now I just have to play simplistic stuff, because my theoretical knowledge is way above my technical skill.

It's a bit different for you, considering you've already played for 11 years and can probably handle the technical side well.

But to be honest I used to play guitar a lot (over 6 years), got bored and switched to piano. Now I never touch my guitar anymore. So I kind of had your problem but completely abandoned guitar altogether as a result.
Last edited by Elintasokas at May 27, 2014,
This may sound strange but try sticking on the radio. Sure the music is generally awful but it's also quite basic musically and ever-changing, making it the ideal recreational jamming partner!

That's what I do when I get in a rut anyway...
Last edited by Riffstation at May 27, 2014,
Similar to Riffstation's suggestion, I used to put on the TV and play along to whatever came on, be it music from commercials, themes from TV shows, background music in the shows, etc. It tends to be all over the map so it forces you out of your box. You can try to fit in genre-wise to what's on and maybe you gain something that way or you can try mix and matching genres for creative stimulation.
Invite a friend over to your place with a pignose amp. You can still have a jam with just 2 people at your home.

Or just look for a group of friends to jam with occasionally. I'm not in a band. But I do occasionally jam with a couple of friends.
Start playing with other people again.

Write your own music.

learn some new genre.

If you have a practice schedule, maybe it bores you. Maybe get rid of it and just play music.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I quite like some songs on the radio! but there's not really too much guitar driven stuff to play with on the radio, sure you can improvise or add melodies over songs but I don't find it that fun.. Same with playing along to adverts on the tv etc.. I do an open mic night once a week but it's not the same as long sweaty band rehearsals and doing a full set! I recently started to learn to shred properly, however I don't feel that it's my cup of tea! As for my practice schedule, it's just an hour a day before I start playing properly, I like to keep my technical practice up to scratch
Quote by JNBloomy
I quite like some songs on the radio! but there's not really too much guitar driven stuff to play with on the radio, sure you can improvise or add melodies over songs but I don't find it that fun.. Same with playing along to adverts on the tv etc.. I do an open mic night once a week but it's not the same as long sweaty band rehearsals and doing a full set! I recently started to learn to shred properly, however I don't feel that it's my cup of tea! As for my practice schedule, it's just an hour a day before I start playing properly, I like to keep my technical practice up to scratch

Do you enjoy your practice schelude or does it bore you? You may want to take some breaks. Don't play if you don't feel like it. Or maybe pick up the guitar, noodle around for some time and if you just can't feel it, don't play (sometimes you have to play for a couple of minutes to really know if you want or don't want to play).

Think about it - do you need to practice? I don't think practicing for the sake of practicing is good. Yes, techique is always good but what do you do with it if you can't use it anywhere?

Also, seems like you miss playing in a band. So join another band.

Also, who says you need to play guitar driven music on guitar? It may actually make you a better player if you also play other parts than just guitar parts. Because guitarists tend to play guitaristic stuff. There are certain licks that everybody plays. But for example saxophone doesn't have those licks.

Do something like Igor does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY53khFqGDU&list=TLdryRDZX-fcpFlETommVJEyYlhe2b4mkl
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 27, 2014,
The way I avoid becoming bored is to compose my own music.

Quote by JNBloomy
I quite like some songs on the radio! but there's not really too much guitar driven stuff to play with on the radio

Surely you have a modern rock, a classic rock, and a country/folk station in your area?

Even if you don't, you can still find and stream guitar driven music easily using iHeartRadio or Last.fm.
i have this same problem! but i've only been playing for a year. i get bored sitting alone in my room everyday practicing guitar. any tips on making guitar practice more fun for a beginner guitarist?