Page 1 of 2
Ok so after having a fairly lengthy talk with a shop assistant today about possible guitars, she suggested that i should look into Ibanez's as currently i don't have a trem system guitar and as i'm wanting to do music with uses a trem system every so often i thought it would be best to get one

Now i don't have any experience with Ibanez, i've played one in a store but i was focusing on the sound from different amps at that time and therefore didn't make any mental notes on the guitar other than it has a nice slim neck

So what are people's experiences with using Ibanez's for things like Classic Rock / Heavy Rock / Metal, might also play a bit of blues on it
I've owned several RG models, S models, and 2 prestige RGs. I find that for the price Ibanez makes about the best guitar you can buy. Contrary to what most people will say, I believe the average Ibanez manufactured in Japan rivals and in many cases beats the fit and finish and quality control standards of a comparable priced USA Gibson.

As for what types of music an ibanez with a floating trem can handle the answer is easy, all of them. That being said most ibanez guitars will come loaded with factory inf, v, or some other type of in house pickup. I personally think they suck. I have never heard one that didn't sound un-rich and somewhat ice picky if that is a term. Pickups were made to be replaced though! And if you plan on using a poo ton of effects the pickups will probably be fine.

All this being said I have found that the wizard necks hurt my wrist when I play on the guitar a really long time. Sound crazy I know, but the super thin size really puts a beating on me. I still keep one Ibby around for good times and quick jaunts, but I mainly play my prs and LP anymore.
Last edited by Starcounter1 at May 27, 2014,
The cheap ones are cheap and gross. The mid-range ones are above average. The expensive ones are stellar. Which ones are you looking at? Which guitars do you already own? What amp do you play through? What's your budget?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
The cheap ones are cheap and gross. The mid-range ones are above average. The expensive ones are stellar. Which ones are you looking at? Which guitars do you already own? What amp do you play through? What's your budget?

I currently have a Tokai SG, and my amp atm is a Roland 20XL, however i am planning on changing that to a Blackstar ID:30 when i get the money, price range will most likely be anything upto £650 (as i originally was planning on getting a PRS SE guitar), tbh i haven't really looked at many other than Steve Vai's signatures and the RG Premium's
The MII and MIJ stuff are great for the money, though colors and finishes leave a lot to be desired. Functionally, the RG and S series are seriously good axes for the price, and if you manage to find a used MIJ Prestige, you will find no better guitar in that range for rock and metal.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
That budget can get you a used Premium, maybe a used Prestige if you're looking in the right places. Wait around a bit for Dave_Mc or LP_CL to show up, those guys are great with Ibanez.

The advice I'd offer is that if you're looking at a Premium, play before you buy. Some are gems, and some are iffy. They're mostly solid, though.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 27, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
That budget can get you a used Premium, maybe a used Prestige if you're looking in the right places. Wait around a bit for Dave_Mc or LP_CL to show up, those guys are great with Ibanez.

The advice I'd offer is that if you're looking at a Premium, play before you buy. Some are gems, and some are iffy. They're mostly solid, though.

Yeah well i'm not going to be able to afford them right now anyway, it's a case of i need to be earning before i can get em (i've just finished uni and therefore haven't had any income to save up with really)
Quote by Tcrumpen
I currently have a Tokai SG, and my amp atm is a Roland 20XL, however i am planning on changing that to a Blackstar ID:30 when i get the money, price range will most likely be anything upto £650 (as i originally was planning on getting a PRS SE guitar), tbh i haven't really looked at many other than Steve Vai's signatures and the RG Premium's

"...Originally was planning on getting a PRS SE..."

I don't have an opinion about Ibanez but I love my PRS SE. If someone steered you away from the SE line then they might have done you a disservice.
Quote by paul.housley.7
"...Originally was planning on getting a PRS SE..."

I don't have an opinion about Ibanez but I love my PRS SE. If someone steered you away from the SE line then they might have done you a disservice.

The assistant said that PRS's you get what you pay for with the SE models, they say that because it's cheaper than their regular stock (which are like 2.5 grand + as i'm sure you re aware) that they just feel cheaply made, however as they didn't stock PRS's i couldn't try one

Finding it hard finding somewhere that actually stock PRS's in store
I owned a PRS SE. It didn't feel cheaply made at all. That said, I wasn't a fan of the neck heel so I sold it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What guitar in this price range doesn't feel cheap compared to 2.5k guitars?

If you do find one make sure you compare it to other guitars in the same price range. I don't know what your availability is like but where i live you can pay about the same price for an SE PRS as you would for a Mexi Strat or an Epi Les Paul. Last Christmas the Guitar Center near me had a brand new SE marked down to 400 USD. I got mine (admittedly a very unusual case) for 137.50.

I'm not knocking ibanez at all - just saying that you shouldn't dismiss the SE line just because it's not as good as a real MIA PRS. The store may be trying to convince you to buy something that they stock instead of something that they don't stock.
Quote by paul.housley.7
What guitar in this price range doesn't feel cheap compared to 2.5k guitars?

If you do find one make sure you compare it to other guitars in the same price range. I don't know what your availability is like but where i live you can pay about the same price for an SE PRS as you would for a Mexi Strat or an Epi Les Paul. Last Christmas the Guitar Center near me had a brand new SE marked down to 400 USD. I got mine (admittedly a very unusual case) for 137.50.

I'm not knocking ibanez at all - just saying that you shouldn't dismiss the SE line just because it's not as good as a real MIA PRS. The store may be trying to convince you to buy something that they stock instead of something that they don't stock.

In the UK it's harder to find guitar stores that have anything but the popular labels (Fender, Gibson etc.)
I had an Ibanez AR 250 when I was younger. I was very pleased with it, I believe I paid around $800 for it about 12 years ago although to be honest I can't remember exactly.

The only issue I ever had with the guitar was the wiring, it was rather shoddy and had to be repaired a couple times, minor input jack problems as well.

My personal opinion is it was well worth the money I paid for it, it being a mid-range Ibanez,
After getting tired of my squier starter I bought an Ibanez RGA for 800 bucks; twas definitely worth it, the guitar feels very comfortable and just handles everything I throw at it
I had a RG Prestige years ago. It was good guitar, but it was a little meh. It didnt give me the tingling feeling that my les paul gives me.
I've got an RGT 42. It's fine for metal. Neck-thru-body makes it really easy to play on the high frets, the tremolo stays in tune, it's just a nice guitar and good quality in every way.

Don't try to use it for blues with a clean or mildly distorted sound though - those pickups are not designed for that. At least not to my ears (of course that's purely subjective I suppose).
I own a Darkstone and a Jetking 1 by Ibanez. The latter one is not a metal-machine, but still very well made for a very cheap guitar and has a neck that is a dream to play. The Darkstone has a very good tone and is well built, but very heavy in weight.

Both were cheap Ibanez's, but very good quality. However, it's a matter of bumping in to one that is cheap AND very well built. So test before you buy.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
I agree with some of what I'm reading.

Under 1000 = not worth it at all. Cheap feel, terrible pickups, sloppy hardware.

1000-2000 = still not worth it. Getting there, but not something I feel comfortable playing a gig with considering the general feel and bridge instability (I'm talking about floating bridges).

I'm sure when you get up there in price, they start to become better guitars.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt however. I have not played EVERY Ibanez on the planet, nor do I claim to be some sort of guru. This is based off my experience playing hundreds of them in guitar shops, most of them being RGs, JEMs, RGDs, Ss, Gios, and Satrianis under 2000.

The Ibanez in my signature is the best Ibanez I've ever played. The pickups are a bit muddy, but it makes for a really neat clean sound.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
One of my jamming buddies has an midpriced HSS Ibanez doublecut with trem (not sure of the model...RG??)... Said he paid around 500 for it.

Every time I go over to jam I don't ever take any of my guitars. The Ibanez rocks hard, lightweight, and can cover a lot of ground. Trem stays in tune for EVH/Kick Start My Heart shenanigans.

Great guitars for the price. Compared to the MIM Fenders and Epi's in the range it definitely holds its own.
Last edited by cheesefries at May 27, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
Wait around a bit for Dave_Mc or LP_CL to show up, those guys are great with Ibanez.

I dunno about that You know way more than I do. I haven't got as far as trying the premiums, even.

I'd normally suggest trying to get a prestige if at all possible, especially if you're getting one with a trem. Ibanez's cheap trems aren't always all that great. and double locking trems are the kind of thing that if you know you want one, you want a good one or it's more bother than it's worth.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fryer Mike

Under 1000 = not worth it at all. Cheap feel, terrible pickups, sloppy hardware.

1000-2000 = still not worth it. Getting there, but not something I feel comfortable playing a gig with considering the general feel and bridge instability (I'm talking about floating bridges).

I'm sure when you get up there in price, they start to become better guitars.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt however. I have not played EVERY Ibanez on the planet, nor do I claim to be some sort of guru. This is based off my experience playing hundreds of them in guitar shops, most of them being RGs, JEMs, RGDs, Ss, Gios, and Satrianis under 2000.

The Ibanez in my signature is the best Ibanez I've ever played. The pickups are a bit muddy, but it makes for a really neat clean sound.

If you cant get a floating bridge on a 1000-2000$ guitar to stay in tune then you must be doing something wrong. Also, the new Edge Zero II on the low tiers RGs is pretty damn good and holds tune really well.

I agree the pick ups are mediocre at best, the INF horrible, the Dimarzio/IBZ knock offs arent that good either. Prestige models usually come with real Dimarzios which you may or may not like.

My first Ibanez was a cheap GIO RG121 (fixed brige), I have to say it plays great and feels solid, I upgraded the pickups with Dimarzios and now it sounds good. I have a great time playing this guitar infact I like it better than some of the more expensive models. I really like the neck on this one, its pretty thick compared to other wizard necks but it feels great to me.

My second one was an RGR465M (which has now been replaced by the 25th anniversary 3XXV). It comes with a Dimarzio D-Activator in the bridge and an Air norton S in the neck. The bridge is an Edge 3 which is absolutely TERRIBLE so I decided to just block it. The frets are really nice allowing for very low action and the maple fretboard gives some good twangs.

Then I got an RG 1XXV 25th anniversary model. It is part of the premium series and it was made in Indonesia. The bridge is an Edge Zero II which like I said holds tune very well and also has the "zero point system" which helps to keep strings in tune when doing bends/double stops. The pick ups are meh... not too bad but not that good either. I had a little issue with the first two frets, I was getting tons of buzz on the high E string so I had to have them filed down and now its all good.

My last RG which I got a little over one year ago is an RG350Z (the Z stands for the Edge Zero II bridge). Pick ups were pretty bad and I upgraded to X2N's and a Dimarzio mini humbucker. I have to say this guitar doesnt seem to have much sustain, the neck is quite thick and the frets arent too leveled so I had to raise the action a little more than I would have liked but overall Im satisfied.

Sorry for the long post... so far I have had 4 Ibanez guitars and have been satisfied with all of them, but Im sure there are plenty of people that had bad experiences with them so its your call.
Quote by Fryer Mike

Under 1000 what? USD? Euro? You are kidding right?
Ibanez RG505, which I bought and owned for half a year was an amazing guitar, held tuning and all. The neck was just too slim for me. I paid 450 euros IIRC used for that. Many of the entry Prestiges I've played (RG1570 and that kinda thing) did the same, only that they would have needed a proper setup to hold the tuning for the abuse I threw at my RG back in the day. The pickups however were a bit lacking. Then again, if you buy a 500 euro guitar, most likely it will be lacking in that department.. or others too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Tcrumpen
Ok so after having a fairly lengthy talk with a shop assistant today about possible guitars, she suggested that i should look into Ibanez's as currently i don't have a trem system guitar and as i'm wanting to do music with uses a trem system every so often i thought it would be best to get one

Now i don't have any experience with Ibanez, i've played one in a store but i was focusing on the sound from different amps at that time and therefore didn't make any mental notes on the guitar other than it has a nice slim neck

So what are people's experiences with using Ibanez's for things like Classic Rock / Heavy Rock / Metal, might also play a bit of blues on it

My only experience with Ibanez is a satriani model from the 90's. It was a new $950.00 guitar at the time and I still own the guitar (it was my first guitar). It is unusable and essentially worthless at this point, no tech can fix it - intonation and tuning issues.

On the other hand I own a Musicman Silhouette Special that I've owned for about 3 years longer and the instrument sounds better today than it did when I got it. It will probably last another 20 years. It was about $1200.00 when I purchased it.

I also have an American Standard Strat from 1988 that I purchased off Kijiji and that works perfectly and sounds great. Hardware is rock solid and the neck is in good shape.

My experience with my Ibanez is that it's an inferior instrument to other guitars in the same price range, Fender and Musicman in my case, using cheap parts that don't last - though this doesn't necessarily apply to other more expensive models.
I have an RG7321 and an RG1XXV, I thought they were both well made and played well. Not a fan of the basswood bodies though, they're a bit thin sounding after I've played my mahogany Gibson. The pickpups can sound weak on the cheaper models too.

Tuning stability is great on both of them though and only one has a locking nut/trem whatever.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Quote by reverb66
My only experience with Ibanez is a satriani model from the 90's. It was a new $950.00 guitar at the time and I still own the guitar (it was my first guitar). It is unusable and essentially worthless at this point, no tech can fix it - intonation and tuning issues.

On the other hand I own a Musicman Silhouette Special that I've owned for about 3 years longer and the instrument sounds better today than it did when I got it. It will probably last another 20 years. It was about $1200.00 when I purchased it.

I also have an American Standard Strat from 1988 that I purchased off Kijiji and that works perfectly and sounds great. Hardware is rock solid and the neck is in good shape.

My experience with my Ibanez is that it's an inferior instrument to other guitars in the same price range, Fender and Musicman in my case, using cheap parts that don't last - though this doesn't necessarily apply to other more expensive models.

a tech that can't fix "tuning issues" is no tech at all. That is absolute beginner tech 101 work.
^Also this, that must be a pretty screwed and warped guitar if it's beyond any repair on the tuning front. Did you leave it in a bath for a decade?
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
What is the main difference between the Prestige and the Premium range, (other than finishes of couse)
[quote="'[Azrael"]']^Also this, that must be a pretty screwed and warped guitar if it's beyond any repair on the tuning front. Did you leave it in a bath for a decade?

No it was kept in decent conditions, along with my other guitars. It's the only guitar I've ever had that didn't age well.
I have a 1991 540s LTD with the shark tooth inlays and the " custom made" inlay (which doesn't really mean anything) in Lipstick Red and a F1 series pickup in the neck and a C3 in middle and an F2 in the bridge . Lo-pro Edge Tremolo. Made in the FugiGen plant. Picked it up in the used section at GC for $350. Awesome axe!! These guitars from this era are what I think are some of Ibanez's best instruments. I am always on the lookout for the S and Radius models from '87- '92. If you find one, get it! Those F series pickups are awesome and made by Dimarzio, in the Dimarzio facility. These guitars are relatively inexpensive still , so if you find one in good condition, nab it, you won't be sorry. I have a few of these guitars and they are my best instruments ( my humble opinion)
Last edited by stringDIA at May 27, 2014,
The Radius is now the JS, just rehashed to Joes specs, I've always preferred the Radius.
Last edited by stringDIA at May 27, 2014,
Quote by reverb66

Sounds like you either have bad luck or you don't know how to properly care for your instruments. I have an Ibanez 540S from 1987 that plays just as well as any new guitar in the same price range. I love that thing.

The only downside I've found in mid and high range Ibanez guitars is the stock pickups. I have owned dozens of Ibanez guitars over the years and that is the only thing that I will try to replace.

As mentioned above, I would try to snag a used RG Prestige. That's one of the best guitars you can get for the price. Around here they sell for 600 USD or so. I would then replace the pickups with some of your choice if the previous owner has not already done so.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Sounds like you either have bad luck or you don't know how to properly care for your instruments. I have an Ibanez 540S from 1987 that plays just as well as any new guitar in the same price range. I love that thing.

The only downside I've found in mid and high range Ibanez guitars is the stock pickups. I have owned dozens of Ibanez guitars over the years and that is the only thing that I will try to replace.

As mentioned above, I would try to snag a used RG Prestige. That's one of the best guitars you can get for the price. Around here they sell for 600 USD or so. I would then replace the pickups with some of your choice if the previous owner has not already done so.

I had a quick look on Ebay UK and there were none there (that i liked the look of), it might be a case of either 'importing' a used one from the US or just save up more to afford a new Premium or Prestige
Last edited by Tcrumpen at May 27, 2014,
I've mucked with a lot of them in my mate's store. There are many I don't like stylistically (all the metal-oriented range), but I have never seen one that I thought was bad build, fit or finish. I had a Japanese Talman with lipsticks that was a good guitar, and I think their semi-hollow range is terrific, maybe with some pickup swapping. I'm happy with the slim neck profiles found on many of them.
Quote by Tcrumpen
What is the main difference between the Prestige and the Premium range, (other than finishes of couse)

prestige is made in japan

premium is made in indonesia (i think)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A radius just popped up on my craigslist. It said something like that in the description. R540 with ohsc and paperwork - asking 425 usd. I was trying to figure out trade parts on my end cause it looks pretty cool but there's no way i could do that right now.

I don't post ads but you could ask me for it if anyone is interested in seeing it.
Love Ibanez (see sig and pic). Typically if you are dropping more than like $250 or $300 on one you won't be disappointed. Just stay away from the GRGs, RGRs, and the miKros. Never played one with a trem though, I always do fixed bridge.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I own an RGD 2120z. It's a solid axe but, to be honest, I'm not sure I like the anorexic neck. Still... It was £800 from GAK!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
starting at the mid range, i think ibanez makes a great guitar.

i was looking at their new artist series les paul style double cuts as the 70s remakes and there wasa newer model in guitar center this weekend i was totaly shocked. it was like 599 or 699 and it was a GREAT guitar. easily stood out in all of guitar center among the heaps of generic crap.

although....i do find 99% of ibanezes wouls classify as generic crap. good generic crap. but they are pretty cookie cutter.

thats fine, if you pay 500-600 for an ibanezi ts obviously you are not getting a custom instrument, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. if i had to pay for a floating trem guitar for more aggressive music i would be ALL OVER an S series.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
In response to people responding to my posts, yes I am being serious. No, I'm not joking.

I DID NOT OWN THESE GUITARS, I just played them at guitar stores, putting them through fairly minimal testing within my own playing style to see if they can handle what I do.

Failure every time, especially with Ibanezs. The only companies that I"ve tested on and suceeded are Schecter (Floyd Rose Original trem on a Hellraiser, and my Solo-6), Musicman., Floyd Rose, Parker, and Jackson (Floyd Rose original).

And I was talking in $ CDN.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300