Hey guys,

I'm looking for an acoustic and in need of some help. I like lots of low end with sparkling clear highs, not a lot of mids. But most importantly I want something LOUD quiet acoustics bore me and I don't think they have the power or give me the dynamic control I'm looking for. Please recommend, no budget constraints but stay within reason please. And maybe if you can recommend woods to look for even that would be great. Thanks!

Cody
i wouldn't say most taylors have lots of low end, although the GS models deliver.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I play a lot of genres, including solo acoustic singer-songwriter style shows, rock, Jazz fusion, country, really everything and anything.

Any Taylor models? Or series'?

I've heard good things about Martin
Quote by patticake
i wouldn't say most taylors have lots of low end, although the GS models deliver.

I thought most of the ones I tried, mainly GAs and dreads, compared well in this respect with say Martins. Larrivees, Matons, Cole Clarks* and assorted Asian imports that I've tried. In fairness though, the huge top end of makes like Lowden seems like way too much of a good thing to me, and I might feel the same way about the Taylor GS series, which I haven't tried very often.

* Some Cole Clarks are pretty bass-heavy, though I wouldn't call the top end sparkly, same with some big Gibsons.
Quote by gibson52198
I play a lot of genres, including solo acoustic singer-songwriter style shows, rock, Jazz fusion, country, really everything and anything.

Any Taylor models? Or series'?

I've heard good things about Martin

Some Martin dreads are good, but it comes down to particular guitars, because they vary quite a lot. Taylors generally have a much more "up-front" kind of sound. Not my cup of tea, but many like it a lot - I'm more of a Maton type.

Choice of series depends to a fair extent on how much you want to spend, as most are good in their own way. The only ones in which I have found (two) dogs is the 300 series, whereas I thought the Mexis, that is, the 100 and 200 series, were outstanding value for money. If I was a flatpicker (I'm not) I would likely go for the GA (*14) size as an all-rounder, not quite as "loose" sounding to my ear as the less expensive (ie non-rosewood) Taylor dreads, though that's very much a personal preference.

Bottom line - I would be looking first at the 114 and 214, or maybe the 810 if I wanted to spend big$.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 27, 2014,
You should really go out and try a bunch. You seem to know the sound you want.

For my two cents I'll throw the Guild D series into the mix, loud and boomy.

I'm not sure abut the Taylor 114 or 214 series, there sound seems pretty balanced to me and not a lot of low end. Really great guitars don't get me wrong, but to me they do not come off as loud. Maybe the 110 or 210 if you want a Taylor.

Have fun looking
Quote by gibson52198
Can anyone recommend some woods to look for?

Well, they generally only make tops out of a couple of spruce species (the norm), cedar, (most mellow), or mahogany.

The most prominent body woods are mahogany, rosewood. Of those 3 maple is the brightest, rosewood is the darkest.

And well, the harder you bang them, the louder they get. Buy a jumbo.
A good Martin D-28 is hard to beat for all around dreadnaught tone that can get loud. Spend some time with one. Specific wood and bracing choices are parts of the whole and don't make or break guitar tone on their own.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Have a look how many Takamines are turning up on stage. The hand made Japanese ones, I don't want to no about the others. And don't tell me its because they are sponsored. Tony mentioned
Cole Clarke, real good downtown bass, also I've played Tacoma, (not the Fender made ones)
the real ones, real good bass. Cheers///