Hi guys,

About a year ago, I bought a Schecter Hellraiser 7-string and I haven't played it much because I find the action too high. I finally brought the guitar to a tech to get the action lowered, and he said that the action can't really be any lower without adding string buzz. However, my other (6-string) guitars have a much lower action without string buzz.

So, do 7-string guitars generally have higher action because of the size of the strings? Or do Schecter guitars suck? Or maybe the tech I brought it to sucks?

Thanks for the help!
Although I haven't played many 7-strings (they confuse me), they've all had similar actions to 6-strings. Care to post a picture showing the action? If you were further south in the State I would set it up for ya
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Get a new tech, I mean seriously.

Also, I doubt that you'll be playing many classical pieces on a 7 string, I have one and I very rarely play clean, so a small amount of fret buzz won't really be an issue.

Also, if your action is so high you don't feel you can play it and if you really can't lower it without fret buzz (which I highly doubt) then there may be a problem with the neck and you might need your truss rod adjusted, that being said if all the tech said was you can't lower it without fret buzz and suggested nothing else then I highly suggest you find a new tech who actually knows what they're talking about.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
I'd find a new tech.

The tech I brought my RG7321 said something similar. I wanted as low an action as possible because I play a lot of songs with clean tapping. He lowered the action and there is a bit of buzz but only if I'm heavily strumming. I can't hear it through the amp though, so it's a non-issue.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The 7 string I used to play had a very low action. He may have meant, "can't be lowered without major surgery which will cost too much and I can't do it." It could be anything from needing a lot of fret dressing all the way to a warped neck. My guess is that it needs more than just a setup - because it's ****ed. A tech is not a luthier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flux'D
Although I haven't played many 7-strings (they confuse me), they've all had similar actions to 6-strings. Care to post a picture showing the action? If you were further south in the State I would set it up for ya

The guitar is still with the tech, but I will post pics when I get it back.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Get a new tech, I mean seriously.

Also, I doubt that you'll be playing many classical pieces on a 7 string, I have one and I very rarely play clean, so a small amount of fret buzz won't really be an issue.

Also, if your action is so high you don't feel you can play it and if you really can't lower it without fret buzz (which I highly doubt) then there may be a problem with the neck and you might need your truss rod adjusted, that being said if all the tech said was you can't lower it without fret buzz and suggested nothing else then I highly suggest you find a new tech who actually knows what they're talking about.

Well, I tried lowering the action myself adjusting the bridge, but I would get fret buzz. I figured that the action could be lowered without fret buzz by adjusting the trust rod, which is why I brought it to the tech. He said the trust rod did not need adjusting. I hate this. I had a great tech back in California, and now I can't seem to find one in Indiana..l
It may not be his fault, you're guitar may be ****ed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification