I got an ibanez grg250dx and a line6 spider iv 15 when it's good at the clean but when i add distortion it gets realy muddy and noisy would changing the pickups improve the sound or should i change the amp i am thinking of adding EMG 81 bridge and EMG 60 neck
Always change the amp before you change pickups. The pickups actually don't change the sound too drastically unless your amp is really good. You probably won't hear the difference at all with the Spider.

What kind of music do you play and what's your budget? Also define "noisy".
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Also would help to know what kind of EQ you're using at the minute.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i play metal and some time joe satriani it's good with solos but when i play power chords i hear more of the distortion than the tone
Are you using a distortion pedal for the tone or the amp's distortion? Not that it really matters. You still probably need a new amp, sorry to say.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
New or used? For the new price you could probably do better with a small cab and a head.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I didn't like the DSL40C when I tried it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by omarhassan600d
a line6 spider iv 15

That's your issue. Line 6 spiders are notorious for bad tone.

See, putting actives in isn't really going to make the tone coming out of your line 6 spider better. Why? Because your amp sucks. Replace your amp. Then, later...when you already have a good amp, consider whether to replace your pickups with actives.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

See, putting actives in isn't really going to make the tone coming out of your line 6 spider better. Why? Because your amp sucks. Replace your amp. Then, later...when you already have a good amp, consider whether to replace your pickups with actives.

Well that was rather harsh. I used to have a spider III way back when I started (great practice amp), but I can't remember the distortion ever being "muddy". Could be a multitude of things. If you are open to getting a new amp perhaps you should shop around then. There are plenty sub 1k amps that are more than stellar; especially used.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Blunt comment is blunt.

But yeah. That's basically what I was trying to say without being harsh.

Also, people need to start differentiating tube and solid state Spiders....
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Well that was rather harsh.

Quote by TheStig1214
Blunt comment is blunt.

But yeah. That's basically what I was trying to say without being harsh.

Wasn't trying to be overly harsh; I apologize. (I'm a blunt guy, sometimes.) But it's a cheaper end practice amp, which isn't a bad thing...just a thing. Anyway, you'll never get a good tone out of those things. He might as well be told that now, before he rushes off to spend $150 on EMGs, and his tone still isn't what he wants.

Quote by TheStig1214
Also, people need to start differentiating tube and solid state Spiders....

Iirc, the Spider IV is a solid state modelling amp, no?

Aren't the Line 6 DT line tube amps? If TS wants to stay with a Line 6, then I'd recommend he check out something in that line.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 27, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
I used to have a spider III way back when I started (great practice amp)

Nope.
Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, VOX Valvetronix, Fender Mustang... Those are great practice amps. The Line 6 Spiders are awful by comparison.

TS, if you want amp upgrade recommendations, please give us these informations:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Iirc, the Spider IV is a solid state modelling amp, no?

Aren't the Line 6 DT line tube amps? If TS wants to stay with a Line 6, then I'd recommend he check out something in that line.

There is the "Spider Valve" series of amps which are pretty good IMO. There's the 112, the 212 and the HD100 head.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
There is the "Spider Valve" series of amps which are pretty good IMO. There's the 112, the 212 and the HD100 head.

That's what I was seeing on the Spider website. They were under the "DT line". But yeah, anyway...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
(I'm a blunt guy, sometimes.)

You don't say...

But yeah I agree, I'd seriously consider swapping the amp before swapping pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by omarhassan600d
iam using the amp's distortion what do you think of the Marshall DSL40C ?

It think it sounds about 1000 times better than your Spider. If you play mostly metal check out the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo too.
You can get a good metal tone from a spider amp despite what some people here think. But anyway use the insane channel for distortion, set treble to around 9, drive to somewhere between 6-9, and just mess around with bass and mid until you find something. If you still can't get any good tone, then upgrade your amp.