im a perfectionist so if i want to learn a song i want to learn everything note for note, so i use tabs as a guideline and correct all the mistakes. I tried to also emulate the exact vibrato used in the song. Does this actually improve me as a musician and a guitar player?

anyone else like me, can't play a song 95% correct, gotta be 100 % down to the last minute detail if im doing a cover not a tribute.
I think learning by ear is the fundamental, often overlooked, skill that every guitarist who wants to create needs to nail down.

The reason it's so important is that it helps bridge the gap between hearing things in your head and playing them on the instrument - which facilitates composing and improvising. If you want to be a musician who can write songs, improvise,create and collaborate, then it's vital. If all you ever want to do is play covers, than there's no real benefit.
If you have a good ear, it also makes learning new songs a lot easier. And it makes writing your own songs a lot easier.

Music is more than just notes. If you don't use your ears at all, all you do is play notes.

So yes, it does improve you as both a musician and a guitarist. If I had a bad ear, I wouldn't even call myself a musician. Good ear is one of the main things a good musician needs to have.

Just think about it - music is all about sounds. And that's why using your ears is really important.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 28, 2014,
Quote by musicandthewave
im a perfectionist so if i want to learn a song i want to learn everything note for note, so i use tabs as a guideline and correct all the mistakes. I tried to also emulate the exact vibrato used in the song. Does this actually improve me as a musician and a guitar player?

anyone else like me, can't play a song 95% correct, gotta be 100 % down to the last minute detail if im doing a cover not a tribute.

of-course learning by ear is good for you. Music is an aural art after all.

I would say though that using tabs as a guideline, is not using your ear.

Also, I would say that being a self-proclaimed perfectionist isn't necessarily all that healthy, or useful.

Quote by musicandthewave
can't play a song 95% correct, gotta be 100 % down to the last minute detail if im doing a cover not a tribute.

I see this as a flaw. Accuracy is a good thing, but NOT being able to appreciate it at anything less than %100 is a mistake. It's a growth impeder.

I know it sounds good to say "I'm a perfectionist", "nothing less than perfect will do". It boosts your ego to think of yourself in that way, but ultimately It's detrimental.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 28, 2014,
^ Though sometimes checking out some tabs may improve your ear (for example if you just can't figure out the chord voicing). But when you find the fingering for the chord, you'll remember what it sounds like and can use it again and can hear it in other songs too.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Being a "perfectionist" is unhealthy people have bad playing days all the time not even people make mistakes all the time. Some days you'll nail a song note for note, and other days you'll miss a lot of notes. What happens if you're playing live and you make a mistake what are you going to do? Just stop completely because you missed a couple of notes, and start the song over again? That's why learning how to use your ears and improvising is a good skill to gain if you mess up you can just improvise and not one single person will really know unless they're a musician, and know the song note for note also.

Another thing is that playing a song note for note is boring most covers are interpretations of how the artist thinks the song should be played... I mean C'mon now there's 1 million different ways to play a song so why limit your self to 1?
Last edited by Black_devils at May 28, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Though sometimes checking out some tabs may improve your ear (for example if you just can't figure out the chord voicing). But when you find the fingering for the chord, you'll remember what it sounds like and can use it again and can hear it in other songs too.

of-course. and if you can't figure something out by ear, that's really your only way to get it.

the thread title is "does learning by ear improve you as a musician and a guitarist?
I'm only pointing out that learning from tabs is not learning by ear.

Similarly, your ear would recognize the things you learn by reading standard notation, but again it's not learning by ear. (even though it can positively affect your hearing ability).
Yes, learning by ear is definitely helpful. I'd also suggest making your own tabs by ear (it trains your ears and helps you remember). With good enough ears and some theory, you'll never need to learn sheet music (although it can come in handy at times). Have a nice day.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
yeah it helps

fwiw i would say there's good and bad perfectionism. one is helpful, the other isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?