I'm planning on recording an EP with my drummer over the summer, so I'm in the process of recording scratch guitar tracks for him so he can practice the songs. The problem is, I don't own an MBox, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to alter CPU allocation without one. I am using a Line 6 POD X3 Live as my current audio interface. The sound is terrible and there is a ton of latency. I have tried altering the hardware buffer size and although doing so it drastically changes the sound, and not in a good way.

I have a retina Macbook Pro with 8 gigs of ram and 2.4ghz CPU. There are no options for me to mess with CPU allocation and such in the playback engine menu. Is there a way around this without owning an MBox? I have one track in my current session (along with a click track) and my computer is not handling the sound very well. I am running Pro Tools 11. Any suggestions?

Also, I will be buying an MBox in the future when I get the money saved up. The vocal trim knob on my X3 live sucks and I either get inaudible sound or instant feedback/clipping with one tiny adjustment of the knob. The X3 Live is decent for amp and FX modeling but it sucks with recording and processing vocals. I just need a quick fix for this right now so I can get some decent scratch tracks recorded.
Last edited by chronic_stp at May 27, 2014,
When you lower the buffer size it's going to sound weird, as you described it, and this may affect the way you play. But no worries, just put the buffer size up to a higher value and that weird sound should disappear.
Your mac is up to spec and having PT11 is giving you unlimited RAM access so that's fine. It may just be how it is setup. Are you aware of all that stuff about CPU usage and how many of your CPU cores PT is using?
I remember reading that its best to have a lower buffer size when recording and a higher one for mixing. Pro Tools will not even tell me all of those options in the playback engine menu, only hardware buffer size. Is there something I need to change in preferences? I always assumed its because I don't have an MBox. Here is a picture of what my playback engine looks like. The playback engine has far more options on the computers at my school.
ASIO is windows only.

And I'd bet it has something to do with the driver for the POD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by chronic_stp
I'm planning on recording an EP with my drummer over the summer, so I'm in the process of recording scratch guitar tracks for him so he can practice the songs. The problem is, I don't own an MBox, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to alter CPU allocation without one. I am using a Line 6 POD X3 Live as my current audio interface. The sound is terrible and there is a ton of latency. I have tried altering the hardware buffer size and although doing so it drastically changes the sound, and not in a good way.

I have a retina Macbook Pro with 8 gigs of ram and 2.4ghz CPU. There are no options for me to mess with CPU allocation and such in the playback engine menu. Is there a way around this without owning an MBox? I have one track in my current session (along with a click track) and my computer is not handling the sound very well. I am running Pro Tools 11. Any suggestions?

Also, I will be buying an MBox in the future when I get the money saved up. The vocal trim knob on my X3 live sucks and I either get inaudible sound or instant feedback/clipping with one tiny adjustment of the knob. The X3 Live is decent for amp and FX modeling but it sucks with recording and processing vocals. I just need a quick fix for this right now so I can get some decent scratch tracks recorded.

Quick Fix = download Reaper and track with that. Your interface should work fine there - if it doesn't, then its the culprit. If it does work fine, then your problem is either with Pro Tools itself or between Pro Tools and your interface.