Just thought I'd run this idea by you guys and see if I get any feedback.

I've got a Peavey 6505+ plugged into a Lopo 2x12.

My thought process is this: I cannot turn the 6505+ up to 2-3 volume because I live in an apartment. So I have a MXR 10 band eq and Vox volume pedal in the FX loop of the amp. I turn the amp up to 3 and turn down the level on the eq and the volume pedal to a volume that is suitable.

Do I gain the tones the amp can produce at those volumes, or am I still essentially hearing the amp as if it were turned up to 1?

If this does not make sense, I am more than willing to explain it better, just let me know.
Dropping volume in the loop is the same thing as a master volume except it often sounds worse. You will probably find that turning the "pre" way up and the "post" way down gives you largely the same effect with less treble loss.

If those pedals give you a better EQ that sounds good to you, great. But you're not really doing anything that the amp didn't already have.

Basically: Try it yourself. Presumably you have the amp sitting in front of you.
tbh I did try it and that's why I'm posting. I thought I was going a little crazy because to me it sounded like the bass got totally lost and muddy when I did this.
If it sounds like it does, then it does

Electrically there's not a huge difference between those methods and usually I'd expect it to sound better with fewer things in the chain but each case is different and amps often do weird things at low volumes. Whatever works for you is fine.
essentially you are having the effect of PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume). you are making the preamp lower, before it gets to the power amp so there is a reduction in volume that feeds to the power amp.

i wired on in on my 1974X clone so i could get breakup with the preamp and cool down the power to the poweramp. those suckers are loud.

but you are just turning it down. you aren't hurting anything unless you don't like the tone as much, but you can always adjust the EQ.

(if something is wrong i apologize, i am not an EE and yes we have some in here). this is my minimal experience of building two amps and modding another.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No he's not, the FX loop is before the phase inverter.

Using the loop as a Master Volume isn't so uncommon, especially with rack setups. I used to do it all the time, MIDI FX unit in the loop. On some amps that works better than other amps; it's all down to the transparency of the loop. If you aren't using the loop at all, that's a whole chunk of circuitry bypassed. That of course, can have an effect on the tone.
Try this. Run a patch cable between the send and return and listen to the difference between that and nothing at all in the loop. A short wire won't change the tone so what you are hearing is the effect of the loop circuitry on the sound.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
****. I tried. Lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My main concern was trying to get the sound of the 6505+ dialed in at 3, but at a level that was quiet enough for neighbors.

The muddy bass came as a result of putting these pedals in the loop to try to achieve the lower volume.

Is there a way to get the high volume tone without it being that loud?
Not really, no. Even an attenuator doesn't really work because all they do is get the output tubes working harder - but at 3 they aren't near cooking anyway so that's not where that sound is coming from anyway.
An attenuator is really for being able to dial in a bit more dirt on an already thumping sound. They don't turn a gigging amp into a little bedroom amp.
Your problem is mostly that the speakers aren't getting moved. There's no way to drive the speaker harder without it making more sound, that's an oxymoron. And if you go to a lighter, easier to drive speaker like a greenback it won't be satisfying because your tone will be totally different at any volume through those. And again, you gotta push air and if you push air, it's loud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification