I was casually browsing MF and saw it on sale as a Level 3 used for an awesome price. I wasn't really in the market for a new guitar, but it was a steal of a deal. Also, past experience told me that Level 3 from MF was still pretty good. I dipped into the home renovation budget and she came in earlier today.

My first impression of this guitar is very positive. It handles and plays really well. It's getting new pickups, some GFS Pro Series, probably this weekend. Also going to need a new nut, but that is to be expected with just about any budget guitar. But it plays good, so I am fine with a few changes.

The only issues are that 2 of the tuners are a bit loose. It doesn't seem to affect the tuning. I am not worried about it because I ordered some Schaller style locking tuners right after I bought the guitar. Also, I am getting a bit of fret buzz on it. The neck looks good, so I am sure it needs some fret work. If I had bought it new I'd be pissed, but at under $400 shipped to my door I am fine with it. Also, my tech does great work at an affordable rate for me, so it doesn't bother me from that aspect.

She is also getting some new tuners and pup rings when I put the new pups and nut in. Probably just going to leave it with my tech this coming weekend and sort it out. After that I would gig with this guitar any time. It feels really nice.

All that said, she really is a good player. The body is a little thicker than most other SE models I've played, and I love the shorter scale and the wide-fat neck. Body and neck feel good, and that is all I really ask of a guitar, because you can change everything else.

Already fitting in with the rest of the family.

Ibanez SR1200E
locking tuners....

2 SEs ? what different tunings? i may have switched it up if it were me, but two very nice guitars. SEs are players. after owning a guitar with locking tuners, dont think im never going back.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Sick guitar! I like the other PRS too.

Your pedalboard looks like a mess! Ahah
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Nice, always fancied one of them. Why does it need a new nut?
HNGD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by ikey_
2 SEs ?

No, look at the headstock on the Custom -- it doesn't have the SE truss rod cover. It's an S2.

Awesome SE 245, congratulations! HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by The Judist
Nice, always fancied one of them. Why does it need a new nut?
HNGD!

Well, it's really tight and binding up the strings. And replacement nuts are cheap enough anyway. I would rather just order a Tusq and have my tech work it out than try to do it myself and risk cutting it too deep instead of widening the slots. PRS seesm to be notorious for bad nuts from the factory. Even my S2 needs a new nut.
Ibanez SR1200E
I just used the StewMac nut files and fixed the nut on my SE 245. I also upgraded to 10-46 strings. The pickups are fine IMO for a guitar that costs under $600 New.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I just used the StewMac nut files and fixed the nut on my SE 245. I also upgraded to 10-46 strings. The pickups are fine IMO for a guitar that costs under $600 New.

Mine may work. If so I'll just chunk the GFS pups into the parts bin. I may break down and just order a Seymour Duncan JB and a Jazz. IMO that is a sweet set.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by Fryer Mike
Sick guitar! I like the other PRS too.

Your pedalboard looks like a mess! Ahah

What man, you don't like my tangle of cords, velcro, and zip-ties?

I recently got it back together after leaving it out long enough for my 2 yr old son to pull everything apart and hide 4 of the pedals in various location throughout the house. My TS clone was missing for 3 days.
Ibanez SR1200E
sweet nice colour
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just to add a bit... I'm not a affiliated with MF... but this is the 2nd time I've ordered a Level 3 used guitar from MF, and on both occasions the guitar has arrived in excellent condition. On both occasions the guitar I received looked much better than one hanging on the wall at Guitar Center. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a used guitar from MF. The experience for me has been great.

As to the sound... really nice. I guess that is what matters. I have zebra looking pups, and even though I have some GFS Pro Series that are arriving today, they sound good enough that they might stay in there.

The plan is to have some hotter pups in the S2 Cu24, and some smooter, bluesier pups in the SE 245. But they both sound so good I am not in a hurry either way.
Ibanez SR1200E
Yeah I recently bought a Level 3 G&L ASAT Deluxe from MF and it was a brand new guitar "(still had all the plastic on the pickups), but the tip of the 3-way switch had broken off. So I only paid $287 for a $599 guitar. What did you end up getting it for?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I recently bought a Level 3 G&L ASAT Deluxe from MF and it was a brand new guitar "(still had all the plastic on the pickups), but the tip of the 3-way switch had broken off. So I only paid $287 for a $599 guitar. What did you end up getting it for?

$396, I think.

I had the same thing that you described happen with an Ibanez AS73 I bought from MF. It was listed as a Level 3, but when it arrive it was obviously brand new. The foam wrapping was untouched, and the plastic was still on the pups. For that matter, the plastic is still on the rear control cavity covers on this SE 245.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by Dysprosium
Nice score. I like the look of that more than the Custom 24 you have there.

When I bought the S2 it was the only one in the shop. I would have picked another color if I had the choice. That S2 is amazing. The SE is great, but the S2 is clearly a better guitar. IMO, it is worth the price increase over the SE.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by pachap
$396, I think.

I had the same thing that you described happen with an Ibanez AS73 I bought from MF. It was listed as a Level 3, but when it arrive it was obviously brand new. The foam wrapping was untouched, and the plastic was still on the pups. For that matter, the plastic is still on the rear control cavity covers on this SE 245.

yep that is a new guitar IMO

You should have got a used CE22/24 same as the real Custom 22/24 but they have a bolt thru maple neck. I have one I bought in 2004 and it is never getting sold
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 29, 2014,
Quote by pachap
When I bought the S2 it was the only one in the shop. I would have picked another color if I had the choice. That S2 is amazing. The SE is great, but the S2 is clearly a better guitar. IMO, it is worth the price increase over the SE.

I hear that. I just love the finish on the SE and am kinda partial to singlecuts(although I don't currently own one).
Quote by Dysprosium
I hear that. I just love the finish on the SE and am kinda partial to singlecuts(although I don't currently own one).

I like single cuts too, hence the purchase on the 245.

I am leaving it with my tech tomorrow morning. After playing it some more last night, it definitely needs the GFS pups. The stocks are doing anything for me.

It's getting vintage wiring, 1 tone, 1 volume, bass contour, and treble bleed.

While it plays pretty good and feels comfortable, the set up on this guitar sucks. I think what happened is that somebody ordered it from MF, tried to do his own setup without knowing crap about a guitar, got frustrated with how it played after he FUBAR'd it, then sent it back.

It's going to be a great guitar. Everything can be sorted out with it, and I am happy with price on it. But this thing is nowhere in the same league with my S2 Cu24. My S2 is a special piece of sonic goodness.
Ibanez SR1200E
Got it back from my tech earlier today and been playing it ever since. He set it up, sorted out the nut, new pups, and vintage wire.

The pups are the hot-wound GFS Pro Series. They sound really good and, since they are chrome / nickel, they look so much better than the zebra cream pups and rings that was on it. They sound much better than the stock ones IMO. They have some bite and grittiness to them. I'll try to get a sound clip later of them pushing my Classic 50 with it cranked up.

It's wired for 1 tone, 1 volume, bass contour, and one dummy knob. Also has a treble bleed. If you don't have a bass contour control you should try it because it really enhances the tonal versatility.

The new tuners are the GFS Sperzel style. In all honesty I just put them on there because I wanted some black hardware.

Overall, it plays and sounds so much better than it did when I got it.

Ibanez SR1200E
Did you get it converted to 10-46 gauge strings? The stock 9-42s sound less impressive IMO.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Did you get it converted to 10-46 gauge strings? The stock 9-42s sound less impressive IMO.

Yeah it has 10 to 46 on it.
Ibanez SR1200E
My SE Custom also came with loose tuners. On top of that, the input jack was loose, there was a big stain of laquer on the fretboard, and sharp fret-ends.

With that stuff sorted out, it plays reasonably well, but I will never understand the praise these guitars get. On par with Epiphone Standard-series, but not better.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
My SE Custom also came with loose tuners. On top of that, the input jack was loose, there was a big stain of laquer on the fretboard, and sharp fret-ends.

With that stuff sorted out, it plays reasonably well, but I will never understand the praise these guitars get. On par with Epiphone Standard-series, but not better.

I agree that I think they are a bit over-hyped, but past experience places them higher than Epi's in my opinion.

What really kills me is the people who claim the S2 series isn't a real upgrade over the SEs. I have both, and can say that it easily is.
Ibanez SR1200E
I wish I could justify buying a new guitar! Cant quite bring myself to yet though - would be a complete waste. I need to start playing 8 hours a day again to think of it.

Aching for one after checking out your thread. ****.

To tune out to a vid of mine -
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1645975
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.