Hi. I was a hardcore guitar player between age 13-18. After that I did some other things. Now I'm 20 years old and growing my hair out again, so in 1 year or less, when I'm 21, I'm gonna start a band. I need the hair cus I plan on singing and playing guitar and it's needed to do what I want to do.

Between age 13-18 I probably spent like 3 hours every day playing guitar, sometimes more sometimes less. I could shred like a mother****er. For example I could do Stabwound by Necrophagist (listened to them back then).

Anyway, it's been over 2 years that I haven't played much guitar, and for this year I won't play so it will be 3 years without much playing at all.

How much do you think that would affect my guitar skills and how long do you think it'll take for the skills to come back? I remember a guitarist from At The Gates said that he didn't wanna come back for the reunion because he hadn't played for 2 years, for example.
There's no way for us to tell you what you'll remember and how fast you'll re-learn. I think one of the worst things you could do for your progress is to sit around worrying that you'll suck or asking the internet for validation instead of actually practicing.

Moving this to the right forum.
Quote by Spinachroll
Hi. I was a hardcore guitar player between age 13-18. After that I did some other things. Now I'm 20 years old and growing my hair out again, so in 1 year or less, when I'm 21, I'm gonna start a band. I need the hair cus I plan on singing and playing guitar and it's needed to do what I want to do.

Between age 13-18 I probably spent like 3 hours every day playing guitar, sometimes more sometimes less. I could shred like a mother****er. For example I could do Stabwound by Necrophagist (listened to them back then).

Anyway, it's been over 2 years that I haven't played much guitar, and for this year I won't play so it will be 3 years without much playing at all.

How much do you think that would affect my guitar skills and how long do you think it'll take for the skills to come back? I remember a guitarist from At The Gates said that he didn't wanna come back for the reunion because he hadn't played for 2 years, for example.

Assuming this post is actually serious, 3 years without playing???? You're in for a painful lesson - the skills don't simply stay there, you need to practice to maintain them. It takes more than hair to be a good musician, you need the dedication and the time. You should readjust your priorities and start practicing now.
I'd say anywhere between a few days to a few months. I think your muscle memory is still there, you'll just need to practice a bit to refresh your memory etc.

I haven't had this experience myself, but I've heard from others with similar experiences that it doesn't take them long to get back in to it.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 28, 2014,
I had a break of.... Somewhere around 5 years. Sort of got re-invigorated after building a couple of cigar-box guitars and then that re-kindled my interest in playing regular guitar.

As noted above, much of this should be in your "muscle memory". I didn't have much trouble at all.... Other than building up the necessary callouses. I'd say that within a month or so I was flatpicking with as much speed and dexterity as I had before, and now I'm playing fingerstyle jazz stuff much better than before.
Take your time and don't try to immediately duplicate what you were doing previously... Let your fingers tell you how they're doing.
Impossible question to answer.

It will be what it will be and that's all it will ever be. No more, no less, the past is gone and it''s time to move on. Less planning and more jamming!

I'd play that guitar every second your hair is growing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but you just need to pick up the guitar and let it be.
Good luck to you.