And I need some songs to learn by ear that are easy.

I would like to try learning a metal song by ear (seriously never done it in 4 years of bass playing). Anyone have any recommendations?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I would start with something that is driven by a bassline, at least in the beginning.

Adventures of Raindance Maggie - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? - Megadeth

Find some bands with outstanding bassists/basslines like Iron Maiden, Atheist, etc. and learn their stuff.
Slappa tha bass
Your ear is like everything else. You just have to train it.

What bands do you listen to? That would help with recommendations.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Early Santana. Easy changes, R/5 kinda stuff. Bass is way out front in the mix.

There are tone deaf people out there. I had a student once who described two notes as being "bong" and "bing". He couldn't carry a tune if you strapped it to his back.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
There are tone deaf people out there. I had a student once who described two notes as being "bong" and "bing". He couldn't carry a tune if you strapped it to his back.

Hey, man! There are people who have made the Billboard Top Ten with nothing more than "bong" and "bing!"
I mostly listen to death metal but there's no way I'm going to be able to discern a bassline for that. I think I need something that uhh...doesn't have as many notes.
just use audacity or something to slow it down. i'd go ahead and start with what you want to learn to play - it's like a bandaid. pull it off quick

sure, twinkle twinkle little star will give you a head start, but go through 5 or 6 cannibal corpse songs and you'll be golden
Quote by Hail
sure, twinkle twinkle little star will give you a head start, but go through 5 or 6 cannibal corpse songs and you'll be golden

But how could I learn a cannibal corpse song if I can't even figure out the first note? Let alone the next 2352345345345 notes.
If you are into Death Metal and the like, then playing by ear becomes more difficult because those bands are fond of down-tuning - sometimes waayyy down-tuning! For that, you would probably need to search for tabs of the songs, unless you know ahead of time how far down they have tuned.

To get the first note, listen to it until you can hum it. Then try each note along the fretboard on the lowest string until you hit one that sounds right. It might be higher or lower in pitch, but if it is the same note, then you can find the correct pitch.
You may not like the music, but if you try to learn punk or pop punk songs, they are very easy to follow. most bass players in this genre it seems play the root note of each chord. So you just have to follow the guitar. Once you get simple songs down, it'll start coming a lot easier.
believe it or not, learning by tabs helps your ears too. I never used to learn by ear, only tabs and occasionally notes. what happened was i started getting used to sounds, and intervals, and minor or major scale runs. Once youve trained your ear in this way (or any other) play along with some spacey songs that dont have very much chord changes (within the sections) like most songs off of pink floyd's dark side, and you'll find whatever it may be youre trying to learn by ear will become an easier task for you.
One method is to sing first. If you can sing a riff from a death metal song then you just go through note by note and match what you're singing.

Also some good songs to start are walk on the wild side by lou reed, another one bites the dust by queen.

Another stratagey is to learn theory and apply it. Eg: learn scales and memorize how they sound and how that sound matches what you're fingers are doing. Or look at patterns that are common in say death metal and what they sound like. ie: tritones. That way every time you hear that you instantly know how to play it.
Pink Floyd - Money
Nirvana - Lounge Act
Metallica - Enter Sandman

Anything by Green Day