I, apparently like a few others in this subforum, am looking for my next amplifier. What I want, however, entails a specific set of qualities. I've been leaning towards the Fender Super-Sonic 60. Recently, I've found myself on the fence about either that or the Egnater Renegade 65w. I hardly even considered Egnater since I've only really been exposed to the brand in passing through Guitar Center, so I'd be amiss to not get some extra feedback as I'm not very savvy with amplifiers.

I love the half stack I have now (maybe some of you remember me as the then-17-year-old who posted a thread explaining his plans to buy an expensive guitar rig two some-odd years ago- see the signature) but it's quite a burden to lug around to jam sessions. Basically what I need is a ton of versatility and something portable- preferably a combo with one or two speakers. I'm looking for an amp that gives a great clean sound like the classic Fender amps, but can also can be used for modern high-gain purposes.

The last year or so my playing has been heavily influenced by blues (e.g., Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, John Mayer before Battle Studies, etc.). I'm looking for a lot of clean headroom, as I'm used to a 100 watt amp and like to play pure cleans over loud drums. I do play with some overdrive, but if the amp starts to break up at all to be heard over a drummer, it's a deal-breaker as I tend to play clean very often. My tone settings pretty much try to mimic the John Mayer blues sound- both in clean and driven.

I also would like dedicated gain functionality, as I also dabble in pop-punk (e.g., Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, Paramore), heavier rock (such as Brand New, Manchester Orchestra, Circa Survive) and in my earlier guitar ventures, I was a fan (and still occasionally a player) of "heavier" music that could be described as metalcore (e.g., Our Last Night, Silverstein, Hands Like Houses, The Color Morale, The Devil Wears Prada). I've also found myself venturing into jazz as I recently found myself loving to play chords beyond the triads.

My price range is something like the aforementioned Fender and Egnater models- less than $1,500,(and I know it's inevitable, I'll get the "Why not shell out some more cash for X or Y?" so have at it).

Anyway, those are the bare bone qualities of what I'm looking for in my next amplifier. I'll be open to everything else as to increase the likelihood that someone would introduce me to something I might like. Have at it, and thanks in advance.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at May 28, 2014,
Supersonic works, also nearly any Mesa. Fender Vibrolux, Super Reverb and Twin, will all take you there as well with a couple of OD pedals. Time to go shopping and play through a few.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 28, 2014,
pick up a MKIV. i got mine for $750 for the long head. very versatile. put the rest of your budget into a cab. orange is probably my favorite mass produced cab company ATM.

or a rectifier. most flavors are good. two channel is better than the three channel (my opinion as well as majority). i have a trem-o-verb and it kicks ass, but i have both channels set up for high gain. they also have a clean and blues selection.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cajundaddy
Supersonic works, also nearly any Mesa. Fender Vibrolux, Super Reverb and Twin, will all take you there as well with a couple of OD pedals. Time to go shopping and play through a few.

I've considered the Fender brand thoroughly and I landed on the Super-Sonic because it has the Vibrolux/Bassman channel (which is my favorite of what the brand offers) and I get the burn channel for my high-gain needs.

Did you have any particular Mesa in mind to get me started? Because most models, even in the used market, seem to be past my price range.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
pick up a MKIV. i got mine for $750 for the long head. very versatile. put the rest of your budget into a cab. orange is probably my favorite mass produced cab company ATM.

or a rectifier. most flavors are good. two channel is better than the three channel (my opinion as well as majority). i have a trem-o-verb and it kicks ass, but i have both channels set up for high gain. they also have a clean and blues selection.

Mesa seems to be stretching my price range a bit.
Free Ali
Supersonic clean and OD is very good. Mesa 50 Caliber, F-30, F-50 are great gig-quality amps with traditional point-to-point tube technology at a reasonable price used. ($500-700)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 29, 2014,
A used mesa Mark III or IV will do what you want and are in the <$1000 range all the time. They are 1x12 combos, but they also weigh 90+lbs

^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Check out the Rivera Knucklehead Tre (same guy referenced in Rivera-era Fenders).

These are available in 112, 212, and head. You can keep your Rockerverb head and maybe replace your PPC412 or get a 212 cab.

Blackstar Stage 100 is pretty versatile if you're only doing the heavier stuff once in a while.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Supersonic amp modeling is very good. Mesa 50 Caliber, F-30, F-50 are great gig-quality amps with traditional point-to-point tube technology at a reasonable price used. ($500-700)

I'll add these to the list. Thanks.

Quote by Robbgnarly
A used mesa Mark III or IV will do what you want and are in the <$1000 range all the time. They are 1x12 combos, but they also weigh 90+lbs

^+1

The weight thing could be a deal-breaker, but I'll still check them out. It is less than half the weight of my half-stack, but less than 1/4 of the size. I'd imagine 90 lbs. would probably still be a burden. That's quite a lot of weight for a 1x12.

Quote by Ippon
Check out the Rivera Knucklehead Tre (same guy referenced in Rivera-era Fenders).

These are available in 112, 212, and head. You can keep your Rockerverb head and maybe replace your PPC412 or get a 212 cab.

I'm not looking to get rid of any gear. Do you have any particular reason as to why you suggest I get a head and not a combo?

I'll add this to the list as well, thanks.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Blackstar Stage 100 is pretty versatile if you're only doing the heavier stuff once in a while.

I've always been under the impression that Blackstar makes amps that cater to the needs of high-gain players, and not the other way around. I'll look into it with as open of a mind as I can, but in my first search for an amp, I've always thought it was too dark-sounding and made for some pretty heavy stuff.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at May 28, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
The weight thing could be a deal-breaker, but I'll still check them out. It is less than half the weight of my half-stack, but less than 1/4 of the size. I'd imagine 90 lbs. would probably still be a burden. That's quite a lot of weight for a 1x12.

Quote by chrismendiola
I've always been under the impression that Blackstar makes amps that cater to the needs of high-gain players, and not the other way around. I'll look into it with as open of a mind as I can, but in my first search for an amp, I've always thought it was too dark-sounding and made for some pretty heavy stuff.
F*** Blackstar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Yes, I've considered this, but it isn't like I'm buying another amplifier with the sole purpose of having something portable. I could almost just as easily do this with my half-stack.
Free Ali
I don't carry shit. I just load anything with any weight onto my trolley. My combo that I gig with is also 90lb. It's really not such a big deal, you just gotta be appropriately equipped. When I am using a halfstack (or 3/4 stack) I also use the trolley. The 4x12 has wheels but I still use the trolley to go any distance, it's just easier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't carry shit. I just load anything with any weight onto my trolley. My combo that I gig with is also 90lb. It's really not such a big deal, you just gotta be appropriately equipped. When I am using a halfstack (or 3/4 stack) I also use the trolley. The 4x12 has wheels but I still use the trolley to go any distance, it's just easier.

It's not only the weight, it's the weight of such a small amp. At 90 lbs., I might as well go for a fuller sound of more speakers. I'm sure I can find something with two (or even four) speakers, as I almost always prefer the sound of more speakers.
Free Ali
I really think you're dead on with the Super Sonic/Egnater. My only recommendation would be to check out the Egnater Tweaker too; I think it's a sweet little amp.
Thanks to everyone who posted, but I'm afraid it was practically for naught, as my Super-Sonic 60 arrived today.

Anyway, if you're still interested in what I've got to say, I haven't got any way to test these amplifier. None of the shops around me carry them, so I used YouTube and the rest of the Internet, and the Super-Sonic was the best choice of the lot (I guess I could have been biased, but I really almost bought the Egnater).

It sounds fantastic, but I haven't had much time to play it today but I'm very keen on it thus far.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Thanks to everyone who posted, but I'm afraid it was practically for naught, as my Super-Sonic 60 arrived today.

Anyway, if you're still interested in what I've got to say, I haven't got any way to test these amplifier. None of the shops around me carry them, so I used YouTube and the rest of the Internet, and the Super-Sonic was the best choice of the lot (I guess I could have been biased, but I really almost bought the Egnater).

It sounds fantastic, but I haven't had much time to play it today but I'm very keen on it thus far.

HNAD. thats a good amp. post a NAD thread with pics and review/demo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/