Now that my school year has finally ended I have a lot more time to practice. Today I played for hours and hours, basically all day, and my fingers are starting to hurt. I know you're supposed to stop when you start hurting to prevent potentially serious injuries. But is there anything else I can do besides not playing as much? I really want to bring my playing to a new level by the end of this summer vacation.
There's always a temptation, especially with the young, to "play till your fingers bleed". This is generally a bad idea.
The best way to avoid injury is (besides moderation...) good body mechanics and playing position.
If you hold the guitar properly, with the neck elevated, the wrist straight, and the fingers properly addressing the strings... You will at least minimize or eliminate the chance of repetitive use injury.
The big worry is carpal tunnel syndrome ( a form of repetitive-use injury) caused normally by bad hand/wrist position. Typically, playing for hours with the wrist severely bent due to that "sexy, low-slung" guitar position.
If you feel you must do that on stage... At least don't practice that way.
You should attempt to play in moderation. There is such thing as too much practice believe it or not. You'll get more from practicing a couple hours a day every day then playing like 8-12hours in a couple sessions. Not to mention i GUARANTEE that if you keep playing that much every day you will burn yourself out and it will definitely reach the point where you don't want to pick up the guitar. Sooner or later it will happen.
My practice sessions range from 2 hours to 3 hours practicing 7+ hours I wouldn't even consider that practice maybe something along the lines of noodling lol.
Stretch and warm up before you start as well to help your fingers be all supple and yummy if you're playing for a while.

Never really had this problem myself, had it a bit with fingertips when I first started but I don't get aches or anything.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Quote by Bikewer
There's always a temptation, especially with the young, to "play till your fingers bleed". This is generally a bad idea.
The best way to avoid injury is (besides moderation...) good body mechanics and playing position.
If you hold the guitar properly, with the neck elevated, the wrist straight, and the fingers properly addressing the strings... You will at least minimize or eliminate the chance of repetitive use injury.
The big worry is carpal tunnel syndrome ( a form of repetitive-use injury) caused normally by bad hand/wrist position. Typically, playing for hours with the wrist severely bent due to that "sexy, low-slung" guitar position.
If you feel you must do that on stage... At least don't practice that way.

Yeah, this has never happened to me actually until now. I just tried practicing nonstop all day because I really really want to start playing at a higher level to the point where my technique doesn't limit me at all. I've been watching too many amazing guitarists with perfect technique on YouTube lately lol. Of course, I still have a ton of work to do before that happens, but I'm more than willing to put in the work to get there. Course I realized it's just not a good idea playing ten hours nonstop everyday like many virtuosos are rumored to have done.

And I often worry about getting something like carpal tunnel or anything that would interfere with my ability to play at all, idk what I'd do if I couldn't play guitar D: that would be a sad sad life for me... And loll, I'm not the kind of dude that plays death metal chugging a low B string with my guitar below my knees, that's asking to injure yourself and doesn't make you cooler. Thanks for the advice man