Yesterday I re-recorded one of my first proper songs (sort of alt rock/prog type thing) in Auria and I'm a lot happier with the overall sound of it than I originally was, any feedback/comments on the production and song in general?

http://soundcloud.com/robrannard97/513-re-recorded-original-demo-song/s-pA381

Will happily C4C anyone who comments
Last edited by Rob2.0 at May 28, 2014,
Very technical track, quite like it. I'm a huge fan of 5/4. Some of your phrasings remind me a bit of Steven Wilson (which in turn reminds me of .. etc etc, I know he's not the most original guy out there). As said before, the cymbals sound a bit clipped which breaks momentum unfortunately.

Everything sounds fairly tight and organized. Congratulations on a nice track. Hope to hear it with vocals, even if still predominantly an instrumental track. It could definitely use that here and there.

C4C in my sig :-)
Thanks for the feedback guys, any suggestions on how to avoid the problem with the cymbals? I've not got much production experience so any advice is appreciated
Rob2.0,
Cymbal problem: here are my guesses: either the original cymbal sample just sounds that way, or at a certain velocity (which you should be able to edit with your sequencer) the sample changes (some drum software/sound modules do that): 127 is the maximum velocity (which gives the maximum volume velocity-wise). Try a lower velocity/volume for those naughty notes. If you are using any type of limiting or compression on your drums or cymbals, that could do weird things to the audio: experiment with the settings. Or you recorded the drums at too high a volume, and it is clipping. If it is none of those things, I don't know the solution.
Last edited by aaron aardvark at May 29, 2014,
Quote by aaron aardvark
Rob2.0,
Cymbal problem: here are my guesses: either the original cymbal sample just sounds that way, or at a certain velocity (which you should be able to edit with your sequencer) the sample changes (some drum software/sound modules do that): 127 is the maximum velocity (which gives the maximum volume velocity-wise). Try a lower velocity/volume for those naughty notes. If you are using any type of limiting or compression on your drums or cymbals, that could do weird things to the audio: experiment with the settings. Or you recorded the drums at too high a volume, and it is clipping. If it is none of those things, I don't know the solution.

Ok thanks, the samples are from addictive drums which does change the sound depending on velocity and I think I just had them turned up as loud as they could go for certain bits which probably explains it haha cheers