Why do so many players do this? I've seen EJ, Yngwie, George Lynch, etc, take the back plate off their strat. Is it purely an aesthetic thing? I have to admit it looks cooler. I have a black american standard strat and the backplate is white and looks kind of stupid. Is there any negative to taking the back plate off? will things get in there?
The only reason I can see is if the bottom of the tremolo is slightly out of alignment with the hole in the back plate, it can be a bit of a problem to change strings.
some people (like Eric Johnson) claim it improves the tone.
Personally I've took the backplate off for a while just because I needed to adjust the springs to try different string gauges and to block the tremolo

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Feels food against your junk.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
It looks cool.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I lost my backplate while changing strings a few years ago. Now whenever people ask, I just say it "improves the tone".

I don't see anyway it could negatively affect anything and it's unlikely anything will get stuck there.
Quote by RyanMW2010
will things get in there?

Unless you play with your wang just dangling all over the plcae, chili peps style, I doubt you should be concerned about anything getting in there. Including your wang.

Even if stuff gets in there, it wont blow the thing up or anything - you should always upkeep your instrument, and just keep a close eye on it! I used to leave the back off - never noticed or even knew it could affect tone, but logically it shouldn't. Who know, to each their own.
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Definitely not aesthetic, it's on the back of the guitar after all. Some people also says it feels better against them because they don't have that lift from the backplate rubbing against their stomach. I actually took the backplate off my strat when I owned one. I thought it sounded just barely better... but I think it was mostly in my mind. Haha
every trem guitar gets it removed and placed in safe storage in a labeled zip lock bag in one of my parts bins/cabinet/area.

i don't totally know why i do i guess easy access, and also if you take it off at a good area in your home you can easily find the screws. i could imagine somebody taking it off and losing a screw if you do it somewhere else. so basically i don't know
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/