Does anyone know any pedals that I could get for around $100 that is good for high gain stuff? I have an Ashton Viper 30 (Australian designed JCM800 soundalike) which I love and is great for classic rock to 80s thrash but I have started wanting to learn more technical stuff like power metal. In particular I have read that when practicing sweep picking you should have the gain turned up so you can practice keeping it clean at high gain. If it helps at all this is the band that has inspired me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-WcyhXARE
Last edited by ThrashingDeath at May 28, 2014,
Do you have an overdrive pedal? You may find boosting your amp with a Tubescreamer (or even a clean boost) gives you all the gain you need. The JCM800 with a boost is a great power metal rig, so if the Ashton is anything like it at all I imagine that would do it for you.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^+1
using a TS type pedal as a boost will get you there, maybe even a compressor. The Digitech bad Monkey is a good pedal and cheap. The Joyo Vintage OD is a Ibanez TS-9 clone and works well as a boost.

To use an OD as a boost: Volume max, Gain off and tone to taste
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 28, 2014,
High again will make your mistakes less audible, it's more difficult to get sweeping sounding good with a clean or very low gain tone.
Quote by AccountAttempt4
High again will make your mistakes less audible, it's more difficult to get sweeping sounding good with a clean or very low gain tone.

Not all the time, some amps can do extremely hi-gain and are still extremely articulate.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
can you solder, if so I've never heard a better metal distortion pedal than this, it's a clone of a Marshall Shredmaster. If you can't solder go to ebay for a pre built one but it's gonna run over 100. I used it for like 2 years for Thrash and Iron Maiden stuff before switching to a Yamaha THR10X for convenience, and to not piss off my roommates. Pretty versatile too cause you can roll back the gain and get a southern rock type overdriven sound.
http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pedals/distortion/shredder.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-built-B-Y-O-C-Shredder-Vintage-shredmaster-Clone-/360787890597?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5400a251a5
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Green Rhino. Gives great gain boost, precise tonal changes in lows, mids, and highs, and is very transparent/not noisy.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
+1 on an od for a boost
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
can you solder, if so I've never heard a better metal distortion pedal than this, it's a clone of a Marshall Shredmaster. If you can't solder go to ebay for a pre built one but it's gonna run over 100. I used it for like 2 years for Thrash and Iron Maiden stuff before switching to a Yamaha THR10X for convenience, and to not piss off my roommates. Pretty versatile too cause you can roll back the gain and get a southern rock type overdriven sound.
http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pedals/distortion/shredder.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-built-B-Y-O-C-Shredder-Vintage-shredmaster-Clone-/360787890597?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5400a251a5

I can solder I have made a couple of pedals before as well so I'll give this a go for sure. Thanks for that.

Also thanks for the advice from everyone about using an OD as a boost. I will gave that a go as well. I have used a Pro Co rat as a boost before and didn't really get the results I wanted but I'll have another play with it. Also the pickups on all my guitars are pretty low output; around the 7k - 8k range. So I might also try getting higher output pickups.
Yeah, ProCo Rats are great for what they do, but something Tube Screamer-like is better suited for boosting.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Awesome. Would using something like the EHX Linear Power Boost be useful here or am I looking at a more traditional overdrive?
its a technique. if you can sweep pick, you shouldn't have any issues making it clean.

a compressor is putting a band-aid on a broken bone.

more gain just makes it stick out more. IMO i am playing the technique card, (and i am not a sweep picking wizard myself, i work on it from time to time, but i can't do 6 string sweeps just 5 or less.

that is not to be offensive, but i learned this from a really tough teacher. it took months to get a lesson with him and i went for two months. if you played an exercise wrong, he would tell you that you go home and do it until you do it perfectly 10 times in a row. he was a hard ass. he got rid of students who didn't work hard. but i learned a ton from him. definitely a great learning experience. he moved back to New Orleans where he grew up or i definitely would have stayed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ThrashingDeath
Awesome. Would using something like the EHX Linear Power Boost be useful here or am I looking at a more traditional overdrive?

i normally find an od works better (though i haven't tried a LPB-1)- they sculpt the tone in a way that helps (at least, tubescreamer or sd1-types do) whereas clean boosts are more transparent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its a technique. if you can sweep pick, you shouldn't have any issues making it clean.

a compressor is putting a band-aid on a broken bone.

more gain just makes it stick out more. IMO i am playing the technique card, (and i am not a sweep picking wizard myself, i work on it from time to time, but i can't do 6 string sweeps just 5 or less.

that is not to be offensive, but i learned this from a really tough teacher. it took months to get a lesson with him and i went for two months. if you played an exercise wrong, he would tell you that you go home and do it until you do it perfectly 10 times in a row. he was a hard ass. he got rid of students who didn't work hard. but i learned a ton from him. definitely a great learning experience. he moved back to New Orleans where he grew up or i definitely would have stayed.

this. adding more distortion isn't the answer. as mentioned not all amps can handle really high gain situations and retain clarity. wit good technique you'll find far less need for tons of gain which muddies things up and covers (to an extent) poor playing. keep in mind that when recorded you'll use less gain than you would think but on the recording it will sound like more than you use.
I don't think he is trying to cover up mistakes guys, it sounds like he wants his mistakes to stick out more...

I find that some techniques are harder to cleanly use with high gain, sweep picking and tapping being a couple of those. I think the TS is mainly looking for the tone thing because that is the style of music he plays.
Yeah I am trying to make my mistakes stick out more so that I don't start practising bad technique. I'll probably end up getting an SD-1. Thanks for all the help!
SD-1 is a good idea, good luck
Just thought you guys might be interested. I haven't got an SD-1 yet. But I did pull out an old Treble Booster I made when I had a go at electronics years ago. I forgot I even had it. It sounds awesome as a boost! I want to give the SD-1 a go still as it's not too expensive and worth a shot for some different sounds. But yeah really happy with the treble booster at the moment.
You should use a noise gate with that high gain setup....will eliminate all hum and feedback. ISP Decimator 2 should do the trick...learn to use it before you judge it though
Last edited by EquipmentHead at Jun 4, 2014,
And I like the digitech bad monkey tube overdrive...along with a few others. But that one is just newer technology than others
Quote by EquipmentHead
You should use a noise gate with that high gain setup....will eliminate all hum and feedback. USP Decimator 2 should do the trick...learn to use it before you judge it though

He should only use a noise gate if he finds it's too noisy for his tastes. There's no hard & fast rule as to whether or not you should use a gate.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by ThrashingDeath
Just thought you guys might be interested. I haven't got an SD-1 yet. But I did pull out an old Treble Booster I made when I had a go at electronics years ago. I forgot I even had it. It sounds awesome as a boost! I want to give the SD-1 a go still as it's not too expensive and worth a shot for some different sounds. But yeah really happy with the treble booster at the moment.

haha nice

if it does what you want, great
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bassmastamitch
He should only use a noise gate if he finds it's too noisy for his tastes. There's no hard & fast rule as to whether or not you should use a gate.

I was just saying because, normally, if you drive a lead channel with an OD, you get noise, and he asked for a good SWEEP PICKING setup, which implies less noise for clearer notes.
The noise that a noise gate is meant to get rid of is ambient noise, like when you're not playing and it's all white-noisey. If you're amp is screaming feedback at you, well you suck at muting.

90% of problems are user-related.

TS, get them sounding even and fluid with a clean tone, and when you bring up the gain, you may have to work on your muting a little bit but otherwise it will be really solid.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by EquipmentHead
I was just saying because, normally, if you drive a lead channel with an OD, you get noise, and he asked for a good SWEEP PICKING setup, which implies less noise for clearer notes.

Noise gates don't magically erase noise while you're playing; as said above, they cut out the signal when it falls below a certain threshold. If noise is drowning out the notes you're playing, there's probably something wrong with your rig other than the amount of gain you're using.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter