Hello people,

I currently have a Superstrat with the usual H/H config. It does Hard Rock/Hair Metal well but I also want to play blues (Clapton/BB King) and the HB lack the clarity/depth on clean/ slightly overdriven channels.

I just wanted to know whether it would be worth the time and effort to install a coil split-able HB. Or should I just get a single coil installed (This requires routing) into the middle position?

Which brand/model/type of Humbucker sounds the most like a single coil when split?

Thanks
Last edited by darrenram1 at May 28, 2014,
Is it a single coil pickup now or a humbucker?

What guitar are you talking about?

Your post is extremely vague.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Way better

Yeah if you will use the coil split, it is worth it.

For what you want to do, the Seymour Duncan TB-4 bridge and SH-2 would work great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
it's worth pointing out that BB king is humbucker, and early clapton is too. if you want lower output humbucker tones parallel might be worth a try. to my ears splitting sounds closer to single coils, though, if you want modern clapton tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you want lower output humbucker tones parallel might be worth a try. to my ears splitting sounds closer to single coils, though, if you want modern clapton tones.

It might depend on the pickup. I've only tried it with SD Jazz, which is a very bright pickup by humbucker standards. The really striking difference is between series and the other two. Between single and parallel, the only way I can sure which I've got is by doing a click test on the pickup poles. I have a lot of rf near-white noise in my music room, and I can also hear a difference in hiss between single and parallel, parallel being a bit brighter and not having the weak 50-cycle overlay. I once suggested in another group that a white noise rf generator would be a very useful bit of gear for testing pickups and tone controls.
that might well be true
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know that BB King and Early Clapton used Humbuckers but I also wanted to achieve the snappy/articulate sound similar to Bon Jovi's These Days and Richie Sambora's Stranger in this Town which I'm quite sure uses single coils.
Quote by darrenram1
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know that BB King and Early Clapton used Humbuckers but I also wanted to achieve the snappy/articulate sound similar to Bon Jovi's These Days and Richie Sambora's Stranger in this Town which I'm quite sure uses single coils.

No worries, just making sure.

It's up to you, really. most would say that splits are kind of a poor imitation of "real" single coils... but at the same time you don't really lose anything by adding them, either (well, time/effort and money I suppose, but you know what I mean they don't make your humbucker tones any worse so you don't lose anything in that respect) so you might as well if you want more single coil-ish tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?