All righty pit,
I know that some of you guys gig on a regular basis, so my question to you is how often should you gig in your home town?

The reason I ask this is because where I'm located (perth,aus) we don't really have the option to gig out of town as that would generally require us going on a 5 hour flight over east.

Anyways how often you folks go gigging in your own backyard?
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Do you mean in my literal backyard, or just my own town?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
We limit to once a month, but for a city as big as perth you could push that. So long as your playing at venues that regularly have a large crowd and are hiring your for entertainment, rather then owners who are hiring you to bring in people to make more money off drinks.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by JustRooster
Do you mean in my literal backyard, or just my own town?

Your home town, although if you've played enough times in your literal backyard to warrant a response I am impressed.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Haven't gigged yet, but I've been playing for 8 years, excited to start a band at music college this fall and play around the Denver area, so whenever time permits i guess.
incoming bedroom, neckbeard guitarists saying they gig like 5 times a month.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

If I started gigging then I think you'd notice a significant drop of people going out to places.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
My band's working with a promoter who gives us one show downtown on weekends every month.

He won't let us gig in the big venues 3 weeks before and after our arranged gig. The reason being that we wouldn't be able get enough of our fanbase out (sell enough tickets).

The only problem I've found with that is we're always playing to the same people anyway. If we gigged more we'd be able to bring in new people who would come out to our shows.

If it were up to me we'd be playing a show every weekend until we started seeing results. Of course our promoter wouldn't see it that way because he wouldn't be making any money off of us if we played gigs without bringing in our people every time.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
My band are based in Glasgow which is also the biggest city in Scotland so we do about 75% of our gigging in Glasgow. The rest are to the other cities and towns all over the country - basically anywhere we can.
Quote by dr_shred
Your home town, although if you've played enough times in your literal backyard to warrant a response I am impressed.

I live in a relatively big town. Most of our gigs happen very close to home.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It depends on the size of your town/city. Unless it's a big city, limit it to once a month.
Check out my band Disturbed
My band is based in Melbourne and we can't really afford to "tour" but to be honest that hasn't really been a problem for us since Melbourne is arguably the music capital of Australia. We probably gig about once a month? Sometimes more, we just take what we can get.

I can see it being a problem in Perth though, does the city have many rock venues?