Howdy, I have a home built solid body made from ash that has split Seymor Duncan Trembuckers in it. When I have it switched to single coils I swear it sounds almost like a Strat, Saweet, I'm thinking it's the ash as I also have a mahogany guitar with the same pickups split and it does not sound half as good. Anyway I'm digressing, when I'm in single coil I get a annoying hum, how do get rid of it.
Thanks
Dwayne

Edit: Btw, first post.
you can't... it's why humbuckers are called humbuckers. The two opposing sides buck the hum. When you get rid of one of those sides then, all of a sudden, nothing cancels out hum. It is the curse of the single coil.
Not taking any online orders.
I haven't tried this personally, so I don't know how it works, so keep that in mind. Humbuckers have the 2 coils in opposite directions, wired in series, which cancels the hum (as corduroyEW said). But if you instead wire the 2 coils in parallel instead, it sounds more single coily. Granted, it won't sound as good as a real single coil, but it will still be hum canceling. If you do try that, do let me know how it sounds. I'm interested in doing either that or a coil split on mine too.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
what cord said

a noise gate might help, though, if it's really annoying you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW
you can't... it's why humbuckers are called humbuckers. The two opposing sides buck the hum. When you get rid of one of those sides then, all of a sudden, nothing cancels out hum. It is the curse of the single coil.

Also the reason why fender strats traditionally have the middle pickup either reverse wound or installed "upside down", to try and cancel some hum when more than one pickup is used.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Like Skar578 said. Assuming it is mains hum, if you use parallel instead of single you will get a similar sound to single with series-type hum cancelling. I have a series/single/parallel switch on one of my guitars with SD Jazz pickups. The difference in tone between single and parallel is small, parallel is a bit brighter and a bit lower output, but not much.
Thanks for the replies, I just may try a parallel, set up, easy enough to go back if I don't like it.
Thanks again
Dwayne
Quote by ryanbwags
Also the reason why fender strats traditionally have the middle pickup either reverse wound or installed "upside down", to try and cancel some hum when more than one pickup is used.

As far as I know, the physical orientation of a pickup does nothing to affect noise. To have any effect on noise, one would have to either change the winding direction of the coil (easy enough to do just by swapping the hot and ground connections) or physically reverse the orientation of the magnet relative to the coil.

Neither of these are achieved by simply changing the physical orientation of the whole pickup.
I was having trouble with words at that time. Give me a break.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals