Use mids.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I've noticed good tubes can really help an amp's growl. Of the amps I've owned the Egnater Rebel had my favorite growl.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
pretty much just a superstrat with pretty bright/hot bridge pickup into an 80s high gain type of sound

i think i've heard he uses a rat a lot too. that might not hurt either. it can be set pretty bright.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boost mids and tailor the presence control until it gets that bite on the higher strings. A really bright ceramic pickup like the Super Distortion can also really help.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Boost mids and tailor the presence control until it gets that bite on the higher strings. A really bright ceramic pickup like the Super Distortion can also really help.

This is actually a fairly low gain sound, which is part of the reason it can be cleaned up easily.

I have two "presence" knobs on my Carvin Belair. One of them simply boosts some treble here and there. The second one is a modification (see Hasserl Mods) that allows me to set the negative feedback (power section) anywhere from the stock amount (fairly clean) to zero. If I had to describe what it does, I guess I'd say that it increases touch sensitivity and dynamics. If you really dig in, even on the clean channel, you get that "hair" or bite. If you run it on the gain side, you'll find that you need a lot less gain to get that bite or "snarl."

One other thing worth looking at is a treble boost. I have active Bartolini pickups on one '70's guitar, and there are two different levels (and frequencies) of treble boost built into the preamp. Another guitar that does this for me is the one equipped with a Chandler Tone-X, which is a sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB). Run it up to the highest frequency and you're there.
Last edited by dspellman at May 29, 2014,
^ that's a good point, just digging in while playing will also help

also i thought a super distortion was pretty warm?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that's a good point, just digging in while playing will also help

also i thought a super distortion was pretty warm?

When I tried it, I thought it sounded sort of mid scooped and bright. Might just have been brighter than my previous pickup at the time.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
If you think a bright pickup will help, the DiMarzio EJ Custom and the Humbucker From Hell will fill the bill. Both are pretty similar:

Treble: 8.5
Mid: 4.5
Bass: 5.5

Honestly, if I'm doing this, I'm using one of the guitars I have that have the Carvin M22SD or the C22B pickups installed. The C22B is an AlnicoV pickup with outputs of:

Low: 7.8,
Low-Mid: 9.1,
Hi-Mid: 8.4,
Hi: 8.4

The M22SD is a 14 Kohm AlnicoV pickup (and a properly raucous rock bridge pickup it is) with:

Low: 7.8,
Low-Mid: 9.1,
Hi-Mid: 10.3,
Hi: 9.4
Last edited by dspellman at May 29, 2014,
3 things: amp set right, OD/boost pedal for a push, and your right hand...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
When I tried it, I thought it sounded sort of mid scooped and bright. Might just have been brighter than my previous pickup at the time.

yeah that could be it

as dspellman posted, the one i tried seemed pretty warm-sounding.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?