Page 1 of 2
Okay. Let me start off by saying I have a Bill Lawrence custom strat and I really love it a lot. I was looking to get a new guitar for graduation, and I would really like to stay in the Fender family. I ordered a Fender Classic Player Jag HH and sent it back, because quite frankly for the price, I wasn't blown away. I ordered a Jag Blacktop HH, and I am very thrilled with the sound. However, I really dont particularly like black guitars. I thought I could get over the black body and pickguard, but I guess I couldn't. It drives me crazy that I can see every fingerprint and every particle of dust in between my pickups. I am now looking at possibly buying a Pawn Shop Mustang in red, but all the screws on the pickguard kind of bug me. I would be interested in Telecasters, however the standard headstock bugs me because I love the big vintage headstock look.

Now, for what I'm looking for. In a perfect world, I would love more than anything to have a guitar that isn't black, has preferably double hums, and has that nice fat Fender headstock. I would be willing to go outside of the Fender family, but it would have to be something pretty spectacular. I'm very open to any suggestions. My window is closing on returning the Blacktop, so all suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks.

Also, I play more punk style music with lots of distortion, overdrive, and reverb through a Peavey Classic 50. Thanks.
Everyone needs to own a Telecaster at some point. When I was a kid, I passed over a lot of nice Teles because I thought they looked like a home made plank and pretty lame. I was the lame one because it is just a badass guitar. They have a great voice that stands out in any music so ignore the funky headstock and buy one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
+1 I was the exact same with teles
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I was the opposite. I've got 3 and had a total of 7 or something.

Awesome guitars!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

My uncle made my telecaster, of all the guitars made, it's one of the simplest, and the nicest.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I recently bought one of these and it is a very nice guitar and it is in the Fender family if you consider Leo Fender part of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What's your budget?

Holy crap I completely forgot about this. I would cap out the spending cost at 700.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Everyone needs to own a Telecaster at some point. When I was a kid, I passed over a lot of nice Teles because I thought they looked like a home made plank and pretty lame. I was the lame one because it is just a badass guitar. They have a great voice that stands out in any music so ignore the funky headstock and buy one.

I would be very happy to own a telecaster. Problem is I absolutely hate the skinny headstock. I like the headstocks on the deluxe, but its a bit out of my budget. Anyone else have any other suggestions about teles with the big headstock?
either get over some of your small nit-picking little issues, or maybe go carvin, then you choose everything. but you may need to save a bit more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
At $700, give a serious look at G&L ASAT Deluxe Tributes (new) or G&L USA ASAT Deluxe (used)- those roughly compare to the MiM and MiA Fenders, respectively. But in a lot of minds, the G&Ls offer better value for money.

Used Carvins might be an even better value.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 29, 2014,
ASAT then... or bolt a Strat neck on a Tele body to get a look you are comfortable with.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 29, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
At $700, give a serious look at G&L ASAT Deluxe Tributes (new) or G&L USA ASAT Deluxe (used)- those roughly compare to the MiM and MiA Fenders, respectively. But in a lot of minds, the G&Ls offer better value for money.

Used Carvins might be an even better value.

Yeah I prefer the G&L Tribute over the MIM Fenders. They use USA hardware and pickups which is unheard of with import models
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
looked at a jagstang? i always liked those. headstock preference and the sexy offset body.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 I was the exact same with teles

My first guitar was a Squier Tele...I hated it

The day you learn to appreciate telecasters is the day you can truly call yourself a man.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
My first guitar was a Squier Tele...I hated it

The day you learn to appreciate telecasters is the day you can truly call yourself a man.

what about female guitar players?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not very traditional but I've always thought these were very boss looking. I also don't like the tele headstocks... unless it's blonde. Then I can live with it

Last edited by cheesefries at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Spud Spudly

I am a fan of those ones, unfortunately its a bit out of my price range.
Try a Fender Marauder, cheap as chips. Bought one last year and its my go to now.
Have a look at em on Youtube can get some quite fat tones from them

good luck

Quote by Robbgnarly
I recently bought one of these and it is a very nice guitar and it is in the Fender family if you consider Leo Fender part of it.

I tried one of those G&L teles once and i must say... It was a beast.
It was blue with open coils and a split. Thats really all i remember
I decided I'm going to go with the Mexican Standard Tele. It seems like the best bet for the money. Thanks to everyone who commented with suggestions.
That was hilariously cruel.

Quote by JustRooster

I'm not 100% happy with the G&L options. I would get the G&L Tribute ASAT in red, but I don't want a Rosewood fretboard.
Color is obviously the most important factor

Anyway, I do still like MiM Teles. Find a good one!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Juice Face
Cabronita Tele?
Heyb i just bought one one these, i'm blown away with the range of tones available with just a nsingle volume/tone knob through a clean channel. add a bit of gain it's a growler.
it is frowned upon to necrobump threads. if you want your topic addressed, start your own thread. you will get help there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I wonder what Biederman got
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you still need a suggestion, a tele with humbuckers is suggested, as everyone else already as suggested as well. Although since you play high-gain punk, might you want to explore active pup guitars?
Page 1 of 2