I've got a 2013 Fender American Standard stratocaster and the bridge position is basically useless. It sounds absolutely atrocious, imo, and I can't find a tone I enjoy out of it. I've decided to put a full humbucker in that position, because I love the look, but which? I've been thinking of a burstbucker 3 or pro, but I'm just using youtube sound clips to go on.

I play everything, but primarily blues and hard rock. Tonally, I would be using the humbucker for more distorted lead playing. I think SRV is the pinnacle of stratocaster tone, but I would be using my neck pickup for his kind of stuff.

So what would you recommend in this situation? If it matters, I would almost definitely prefer a chrome-covered classic PAF style look on the bucker.
how heavy stuff will you be playing?

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Without knowing your answers to Dave's cogent questions, I'd look at the offerings from Lace, RailHammer and Tesla as starting ponts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've used a Screaming Demon and JB in strats with Great Success! (borat accent)

I'm sure the burstbucker would sound great as well. It is a fine pickup. With my experience with the JB... it was 80s hard rock tone all day. With a push pull for a coil split it meshed well with the other singles in the between positions. Probably wouldn't be a good choice for blues though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how heavy stuff will you be playing?

what's your amp?

Nothing heavier than Guns 'N Roses and some Killswitch Engage now and again for fun.

I have a peavey delta blues 115 but I'll be upgrading in a couple of months. I really like the fender 68 reverb.
Oh, and lest I forget---this may be a really dumb question, but I'm left handed--will i need to buy left-handed pickups, too, if there is a such thing?
The Seymour Duncan SH-4 is a good choice

Pickups are the same for left or right handed players
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok...

From Lace, I'd consider the Hemi, the Alumitone, or of you want something a tad heavier in tone, the Alumitone Deathbucker.

From Tesla, I'd look at the VR-Extreme or the OPUS-1.

From RailHammer, I'd look at the HyperVintage, or- if you want more of a P90 tone- the Tel90 or Gnarly90. Both are HB-sized P90 style pickups.

From Seymour Duncan, I'd suggest the '59 or the SH-4JB

You might even consider something from more "boutique" companies like Rio Grande, Bareknuckle (I like their Rebel Yells and their Stockholm HB-sized P90), The Creamery (Dirty Shirt), or Vintage Vibe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 29, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Apart from maybe staggered vintage-style strat single coils, I suppose? I dunno, actually.

Quote by RyanMW2010
Nothing heavier than Guns 'N Roses and some Killswitch Engage now and again for fun.

I have a peavey delta blues 115 but I'll be upgrading in a couple of months. I really like the fender 68 reverb.

Ok... how often do you play G n R? And KSE? I'm guessing pretty rarely for KSE from what you've said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Apart from maybe staggered vintage-style strat single coils, I suppose? I dunno, actually.

Ok... how often do you play G n R? And KSE? I'm guessing pretty rarely for KSE from what you've said.

Pretty rarely. I play mostly original stuff but I do want the humbucker to be capable of high gain tones. Not new metal or anything like that, but something comparable to Slash's tone.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Seymour Duncan SH-4 is a good choice

This. The Sh-4 is a good allrounder.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Pretty rarely. I play mostly original stuff but I do want the humbucker to be capable of high gain tones. Not new metal or anything like that, but something comparable to Slash's tone.

I used the Duncan JB Jr (which is a single coil sized HB) and it was great for anything up to classic metal on its own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RyanMW2010

No worries

Slash uses paf-output pickups. So even paf types should work, I'd have thought. Though you might find it easier with medium or medium hot pickups like duncan customs (3 different types with different magnets) or the duncan JB.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
I used the Duncan JB Jr (which is a single coil sized HB) and it was great for anything up to classic metal on its own.

I'm seriously considering that pickup... or a screaming demon to replace my Lace Hot Gold Hot Bridge. The Lace is a hot pickup. Something just doesn't sit right about it with my ears playing 80s rock. I might have to eventually flip a coin and order one. Hear good things about both.
Last edited by cheesefries at May 30, 2014,
I like the SH-4 too. Another option if you decide you really don't want to carve up the pick guard is a SD Hot Rails. It's a blade style ceramic humbucker in a single coil size so it drops right in with no modification. It sounds nothing at all like a single coil that's in there now but like the name says it is pretty hot.
Last edited by BobDetroit at May 30, 2014,
Quote by BobDetroit
I like the SH-4 too. Another option if you decide you really don't want to carve up the pick guard is a SD Hot Rails. It's a blade style ceramic humbucker in a single coil size so it drops right in with no modification. It sounds nothing at all like a single coil that's in there now but like the name says it is pretty hot.

i think I'll just get a new pickguard. I want a mint green one anyway.
Quote by RyanMW2010
i think I'll just get a new pickguard. I want a mint green one anyway.

Guitar Fetish has some good deals on pickguards. I've got a few and they were as high quality as the higher cost ones I've bought in the past. In fact... I couldn't tell any difference between them.

Just be aware they are not the smartest crayon in the box. My last 2 pick guard orders they got the colors completely wrong... but they resent for free.
Last edited by cheesefries at May 31, 2014,
i will just throw this out there, but Crunch Lab?

i also really like the lace pickups in my 1997 American Delxue Plus II Tele. they are amazing really. its a nashville so its got a strat pickup in the middle and i like it a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 31, 2014,
Duncan JB is all you'll need.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by cheesefries
but they resent for free.

I'd feel a bit miffed if someone charged me and then resented me.

Sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?