Review to follow.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at May 28, 2014,
Sweet! Curious to hear your thoughts - I've been downsizing lately myself... just got rid of 8 of my preamps!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dope.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Okay.... took me a bit longer to get to this. I must say that I'm very, very happy with it.

I did a bit of a head-to-head between my entry-level Behringer pres in my ADA8000, the well-respected pres in my Steinberg MR816, and then the UA-710.

I sang "The Old Apartment" four different times, as closely as I possibly could to keep the test fair. I tried to keep the gain staging as close as possible, etc. I used the same mic (Rode K2).

Here is the clip if you want to follow along. It's about 35 seconds and 6 megs. It's a 16/44.1 wav file.

http://www.greenroomrecording.now-here-this.com/preampshootout.wav

1. Behringer ADA8000
2. Steinberg MR816
3. UA-710 in full tube mode.
4. UA-710 in 50/50 blend between tube and transistor.

I balanced all four takes (about 8 seconds each) so that they all peaked at exactly the same level. (though with the way the UA-710 tube added some natural analog compression, the perceived loudness is greater on the UA-710 tracks). I added no processing of any kind - no EQ, nothing.

The Behringer sounds very usable. Forward sounding and pretty detailed, if not a bit anemic. I was surprised at how well it sort of stood up against my MR816.

The MR816 was cleaner and more detailed than the Behringer, and significantly less anemic. It is the clear winner between the first two, but not exactly "day and night." In practice, though, I find that I can mix with the MR816 recorded tracks in about a quarter of the time. It takes a LOT less fighting with the tracks to get them to fit together in a mix.

The UA-710 really blows both of them away. By comparison, it sounds much fatter and warmer. Turning the knob to the middle between the transistor and the tube brought the sound a bit more forward and added some more detail and gave the track a little more dynamic range. It's easy to see how this can be a applied effectively to a variety of sound sources.

You won't hear the full transistor sound of the UA-710, but it essentially continued the forwardness and detail of the third and fourth sections. It brought it much closer to the MR816, but still better... but not that much different and not that much better. But bigger.

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

^Wow, I actually wasn't expecting there to be that big of a difference! I listened to this clip first on my monitor's soundbar, then when I heard the UA-710 kick in and heard the difference in fullness, I had to switch to my monitors to see if I was just hearing a weird anomaly, but nope - there IS that big of a difference.

Interesting. I've always heard people put down the 710, saying that it doesn't match up to the 610, but I've owned an LA-610 and wasn't that impressed... this is pretty impressive, though. I'll definitely have to check one of these out now - curious how it'd stack up against my Peavey VMP-2, which has become my secret weapon on vocals lately. The fatness the 710 adds to your voice is pretty huge!

FWIW, though - I actually preferred the Behringer clip over the Steinberg's, something funky goihg on in the mids there that I didn't like
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Those VMP-2's are hard to find. Heard nothing but good things about them.

CT

Interesting about your thoughts between the Behringer and the MR816.

I thought the same thing about something funky in the mids, only the opposite. The Behringer sounded sort of "pinched" but not quite nasal, and the Steinberg seemed to smooth that out.

CT