I've started looking at practice amps that I can easily use in the house. I've looked at several of the modeling amps and am wondering what thoughts are on the Blackstar Core ID series? From what I've seen they seem to be an ok practice amp. Problem is that the foot switch costs as much as the amp.
Yeah, they look like 0.k. practice amps.

Now, what's your budget, what gear do you already have, what stuff do you wanna play with the amp, where do you live and are you willing to buy used stuff?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Most company's with modeling amps are like that have a proprietary foot pedal that is almost the cost of the amp. I bought my first Line 6 14years ago and the Floorboard was $300. Yeah it was a cool versatile amp, but after I paid for the board, I had $800 in a combo (that although very cool at the time) that really was not worth it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, they look like 0.k. practice amps.

Now, what's your budget, what gear do you already have, what stuff do you wanna play with the amp, where do you live and are you willing to buy used stuff?

In the US and just looking for a practice amp to play all kinds of different music. This is one reason the modeling amps look appealing is that they can be adjusted for different kinds of music. Budget is less than a couple hundred bucks.
My home set up (and I think it would work well for you) is normally a Zoom G3 into a powered speaker. Sure the sound isnt all that but it makes for a superb practice rig. If you'd rather have an amp, there's cheap lil 5w tube amps all over the place. I love my lil epiphone Valve Jr. Great tone, simple as can be (No distractions from practice), easily maintained, easily modded, bout $100 used. There's others though. And I'd personally rather have a multifx and powered speaker than a modeling amp. Both are still useful after upgrading your amp.

Edit: just reread op, nevermind, I think you'd need bout $100 more at least. Vox Valvetronix amps are great for the price
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 31, 2014,
In my order of preference:

Fender Super Champ
Roland Cube
Vox Valvetronix
Fender Mustang
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
In my order of preference:

Fender Super Champ
Roland Cube
Vox Valvetronix
Fender Mustang

For a practice amp the super champ can get very loud and sounds very good.

It has Cheesefries stamp of approval.

I also recommend the Yamaha TH series.
Roland Cubes are probably a good idea. The 20XL is a nice little one, for less than $200.

You might be best off just scouting your music shops and pawn shops for something used.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap interface for your PC, and get something like S-Gear 2 and just use that for practicing at home.
Don't need a real amp for home stuff anymore IMO. Some of the stuff in S-Gear 2 and Amplitube 3 is just way too good. Sounds and feels real.

Then you've got the advantage of something like Reaper to record your own rhythm tracks to play over as well.
i really used to like super champs. i still wonder why they disappeared. they were hot shit for a while.

after that, look into peavey vypyrs (tube 60 is best by far).

either are pretty reasonable.

HOWEVER...

i would get a good effects processor and run it into powered monitors as lucky recommended. that is what i use for my synth, works great, and tried it with an older effects processor (ancient KORG toneworks ax1500g) and it wasn't bad through the monitor (well for a 10 year old modeling technology).

but i just turn my mkiv down, low channel volume and low on the global master. works great for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Vypyr Tube 60 is by far my favorite modeling amp
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by columbiar
I've started looking at practice amps that I can easily use in the house. I've looked at several of the modeling amps and am wondering what thoughts are on the Blackstar Core ID series? From what I've seen they seem to be an ok practice amp. Problem is that the foot switch costs as much as the amp.

Footswitches are rarely necessary in a practice amp.
And often you don't need the BIG footswitch board if a smaller one is available.

For example, I have Pods. The POD HD was, for a while down around $199 (new!) at some stores and can be had cheaper used. The Pod XT (we're talking the kidney bean shaped versions) can be had for much less than $100 these days, and is MORE than viable for almost anything you want to do.

The FBV Shortboard II is $199 new and will control both new and older Pods and will do allow you to control almost everything that a Pod does. The FBV Express is $99 new and has a tuner display, expression pedal, four bank switches, tap tempo and honestly, that's most of what you actually DO with a foot pedal. In a practice situation in particular, there's no real reason to have the Shortboard; you're able to access the Pod directly to change channels or to tweak an effect parameter, etc. In fact, I've found the cheaper Express to be pretty much all the live gigging footboard I need as well.

Honestly, for practice, I rarely use a footboard at all.
Check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP-II.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dude,i would get a peavey vypre vip i have one and it kicks butt with my bad monkey tube overdrive
Am i a tough guy, a helpless dancer
A romantic, is it me for a moment?
A bloody lunatic, I'll even carry your bags.
A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign o'er me
I like the sound of a guitar through a ss 10w bass amp as my practice amp.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].