Hey guys,

So I recently purchased a guitar from a music store in America (I live in Australia) and when it arrived, I found it to be faulty. I'm not the best with guitar hardware and wiring, but i'll do my best to explain my theory of what is wrong, and hopefully you guys can help me out.

When my pickup switch is on the bridge pickup, it will occasionally feed through to my amp. When it is on hybrid or neck pickup, it doesn't feed through to my amp at all either. I pulled off the back cavity to see if it had been soldered correctly, however, I found nothing to be out of the ordinary and it all seemed connected. I feel as if the problem lies within the pickup switch not connecting the circuit correctly when in the center and bridge position.

Is this possible? I'm not entirely sure on the mechanics of the pickup switch, but i'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what's wrong. I can possibly provide a video if it is requested for further understanding.
You should have probably posted this in the wiring section, but pics would help alot. When you say it occasionally feeds through the amp do you mean you only get sound sometimes or you are getting feedback sometimes?

If its intermittent sound, then you probably have a bad, or cold solder joint, or a bad switch. What type of switch is it 5 way blade, 3 way blade, 3 way toggle?
Quote by Fastmerc
You should have probably posted this in the wiring section, but pics would help alot. When you say it occasionally feeds through the amp do you mean you only get sound sometimes or you are getting feedback sometimes?

If its intermittent sound, then you probably have a bad, or cold solder joint, or a bad switch. What type of switch is it 5 way blade, 3 way blade, 3 way toggle?

It's a 3 way toggle. And I mean that I only occasionally get sound.
If you have a small piece of wire or a set of small alligator clips, try jumping each of the pickup output wires to the center wire on the toggle and see if you get a solid signal to the amp.

sort of like this:

l
l
--------------
l l
l l
--------------
l l l

Jumper wire l------l

If your signal stays solid, then resolder your connections and see if that fixes your problem, if resolder does not do it then the switch is bad. If you don't get a solid output with the jumper wire then the problem is something else.
It sounds like a faulty switch to me, no big deal. What make/model is it? My '95 LP Special has a dodgy selector switch that sometimes fails to engage, I've fixed it a couple of times; I'll replace it when I really get fed up with it.

What part of Oz are you? I'm in Toowomba.
well my makeshift drawing didn't come out right in the post....not sure why...sorry about that
is it a miniswitch, or the larger gibson style? i would try some deoxit see it would clean it out.

what brand model, etc?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/