Just a little background, I played guitar for 2 years but I taught myself the wrong ways. I was very one dimensional and very ineffective with my practice time. Worst was I didn't really learn about music so jamming with other people was impossible.

Now though, after a few years break I'm picking it up again and learning the right way. I bought 2 books, guitar fretboard workbook and guitar aerobics. I'm following their practice regemine to a t. So I have the theory and technique covered with those for my practice regimine but do you guys have suggestions on any other books? I'm really thinking a really good rythym rock guitar book but don't know of any good ones. I consider myself more advanced than a beginner but all these rock guitar books seem dedicated to beginners.
at 2 years of playing you're still pretty much a beginner, if you're still relying on tabs and books to help you learn then you still have a very very long way to go! Instead of buying books, a teacher is your best bet, they'll help you improve your technique, and you can learn the stuff you want to learn and learn how to apply it, instead of reading something out of a book, playing it exactly how the book says you should play it and then moving on. A teacher can check if you're playing it correctly, then can put it into situations that you might have in a live band, this will improve your playing 10x more than if you carry on to lean from a book!
Quote by Rcj520
Just a little background, I played guitar for 2 years but I taught myself the wrong ways. I was very one dimensional and very ineffective with my practice time. Worst was I didn't really learn about music so jamming with other people was impossible.

Now though, after a few years break I'm picking it up again and learning the right way. I bought 2 books, guitar fretboard workbook and guitar aerobics. I'm following their practice regemine to a t. So I have the theory and technique covered with those for my practice regimine but do you guys have suggestions on any other books? I'm really thinking a really good rythym rock guitar book but don't know of any good ones. I consider myself more advanced than a beginner but all these rock guitar books seem dedicated to beginners.

Start learning songs by ear. It's free and its vital to being a good musician.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definetly try to find a teacher I like in the area. And I'll try to find some stuff on learning by ear. Do you guys have any suggestions to start that?
Quote by Rcj520
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definetly try to find a teacher I like in the area. And I'll try to find some stuff on learning by ear. Do you guys have any suggestions to start that?

Learning by ear - pick something slow and simple to start ( punk, blues, basic rock tune etc.). It's trial and error - listen to the first note and then stop the music and try to find it on the guitar - then repeat. It takes a horrendous amount of time at the start, but eventually your ear will be able to pick things up almost instantly. It's like solving a puzzle.

If you try to learn something and the notes are too fast, try slowing it down with software that can keep it to pitch.

Make sure your guitar is tuned to the music as well.

After you've learnt the song, then compare it to tab or a video to see if you missed anything.