Wondering what the general consensus is before I go out and spend $80 on a billy corgan rail bridge pickup? What do you think of them? (PS I am talking about using them in a high gain situation hence why it is in the bridge) is there a noticeable difference between rail pickups and regular single coils?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Last edited by 457undead at May 29, 2014,
Well; there is definitely a difference, in that most (but not all) rail pickups are hot humbuckers and single coil pickups are not. I have Duncan Hot Rails in all three positions in two Strats, and I think they work great.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have it. Highly recommend it too, for a Strat. It is kinda like the Dimarzio Tone Zone but more Black Sabbathy. Does not give you a truly balanced neutral tone, more like a heavy whale killing metal sound.

What you may need though is a new amp.
Last edited by Jyrgen at May 29, 2014,
Yeah, most (if not all) rail pickups are single coil sized humbuckers, so I'd say they're gonna be better than lotsa single coil p/ups for lotsa situations.

Any particular reason why you choose the bc rail instead of the duncan hot rails?
'cause I don't really know about the bc rails but I know for sure the hot rails are great p/ups...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Loved my Hot Rails in my Tele when I had it. Really added a fullness to the sound. Not quite as full as real humbuckers though.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I prefer the JB Jr over the Hot rails, way less compressed sounding IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to hotrails

Got 3 hotrails in a strat and it sounds great.

It will make a huge difference. The bridge pickup is seriously hot!
The bridge pickup position is best for high gain right? I don't want to buy it and find I'm using the wrong pickup for the music.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
^ usually yeah, since the bridge p/up usually has a higher output and more highs.

It's all a matter of preference though, you may prefer the sound of a highly distorted neck p/up or you could use both or you could use the neck p/up for the rhythm parts and the bridge for the solos or vice versa.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah there is difference between regular single coils & rails. Not necessarily in terms of output, there are many low/single coil type output rail pickups out there, dimarzio makes some, Bill&Becky(Wylde) make em to. The response is usually even across all strings will rail type pickups.
Quote by 457undead
The bridge pickup position is best for high gain right? I don't want to buy it and find I'm using the wrong pickup for the music.

It depends. It's the one position most used for high gain, but that doesn't mean much.

I have a very high output rail pickup (single coil size), a DiMarzio Fast Track II (Output mV: 321, DC Resistance: 18 Kohm) in the NECK position of a Les Paul. The smaller magnet area helps reduce a lot of the mud that most LP users tolerate in that position and the very high output makes it a great pickup for high gain and lead work from that spot.

Obviously this setup goes against the usual pickup manufacturer "balance" suggestions in terms of volume (it's MUCH louder than the 9.2kohm pickup in that guitar's bridge position) and I've discovered that I really like it that way.

One other suggestion -- if you're going to use Hot Rails or similar pickups on a Strat, switch the pots to 500K from the 250Ks that came with the single coils, unless you're going for that mud effect.
Are the Warman Rails any good?
If anything's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.
Not too fussed. I haven't really liked any I've tried (which isn't many). However, that's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy because the fact that I haven't liked the few I've tried has meant I haven't gone out of my way to try/buy any different ones.

So yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?