okay guys so here is my dilemma, I'm on a budget and looking to add some low end to my M-Audio AV40 monitors. I will provide links to everything i currently have (and thinking about buying) in as logical of a way i can think of. so to start, I have a presonus USB audiobox interface http://www.presonus.com/uploads/press/images/audibox_usb-fnt-bk.jpg and currently are hooked up to the AV40s http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/av40_back.jpg through the RCA connections. I am considering adding this sub http://www.polkaudio.com/products/psw10 to the mix. I am unsure of how to connect them in a way to make them work but I believe i can do something like this. start off obviously in the back of my interface using 2 1/4 inch to RCA adapters to stick into the interface to allow for an RCA cable to plug in easily which i currently am doing, but instead of directly plugging into my AV40s, i was thinking i could use a splitter so i would have 2 sets of RCA cables coming out of my interface and plug 1 pair set into the AV40s and the other into the Polk subwoofer. I BELIEVE this would allow me to fiddle with both the AV40s volume and the Polk volume to make a good blend, leave them alone after i find it, and use my interface main volume to control them from there out. would this work? as for the splitter i think i would use this http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/ProductImage/Large/9088.jpg so i would have 2 of those dangling out of the back of my interface and run RCA cables to both the sub and to the AV40s. thank you for at least reading this!
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt (practice amp)
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Boss NS-2 noise suppressor
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
No offense - but why have you come to the conclusion that buying a subwoofer is the best solution?

You're already using sub-par monitors that are really just glorified PC speakers, and you'll be adding a consumer-grade sub that's meant to be used with PC speakers. If you're just listening to music, your setup is fine, but mixing on that is going to be a seriously uphill battle. Especially if your room isn't treated, adding a sub for mixing is one of the worst things you can do to it.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any more money on the system you're using, and instead, sell your current monitors and just buy some better, larger speakers, that are not only more accurate, but will extend further down into the frequency spectrum. With the amount of money you're putting into the purchase of the sub, plus the price you could sell your AV40s for, you could buy a decent set of used 5-6" monitors that will likely work far better for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
no offense, but I didn't ask for someone to tell me to sell my stuff and just buy better stuff. I'm aware that the AV40's are inexpensive monitors and are not the best at all. because of the fact that they are small, they certainly lack pretty much all bass below 80 some hertz. i do not run a studio, but i do my own recordings for writing purposes and go to someone with the proper equipment to do a more professional sounding recording. I do primarily use my speakers for listening to music, gaming, and videos. I personally believe that adding a 100 dollar sub is not outrageous to think that its a reasonable price to increase the range of my audio. so i just would like to know if the way i mentioned above is a proper way to wire a sub and my speakers together.
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
Quote by seankir92
no offense, but I didn't ask for someone to tell me to sell my stuff and just buy better stuff. I'm aware that the AV40's are inexpensive monitors and are not the best at all. because of the fact that they are small, they certainly lack pretty much all bass below 80 some hertz. i do not run a studio, but i do my own recordings for writing purposes and go to someone with the proper equipment to do a more professional sounding recording. I do primarily use my speakers for listening to music, gaming, and videos. I personally believe that adding a 100 dollar sub is not outrageous to think that its a reasonable price to increase the range of my audio. so i just would like to know if the way i mentioned above is a proper way to wire a sub and my speakers together.

Chill out - no reason to get testy. I was merely trying to suggest you spending your money more wisely, but if you want to throw it away on a system that isn't properly matched to work well together, sobeit

As far as your question - yes, that's probably the least complicated route to go, though this sub really isn't meant to be used in a system like this.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea sorry that was a little more irritated sounding than I intended. But thanks
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
Well, I own a pair of AV40s in addition to a bunch of other more expensive speakers and I am pretty impressed with their sound for what they are. I do mix with them and get good results. The Rokit 8s are better but the AV40s stand up just fine for a home studio providing:

*You move them around a bit to get the best bass response. They are very dependent on placement and getting just the right boundary effect takes a little time. Make sure you do this before adding a sub.

* The ideal sub match would have an active x-over I/O so your signal would run through it first and then to the sub amp<120hz and AV40s>120hz. A 120hz x-over would be about right for these and the Polk does not have this feature. As a result you will get some bass from the sub and some from the AV40s which may present some wave cancellation or phase issues complicating your setup.

Subs are also notorious for having slow transient response so often not an ideal arrangement for multitrack mixing sessions.

I hope this helps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY