Page 1 of 2
Hello. I've been really wanting to start a serious rock band. The thing is though, I'm 20 years old now and I won't be able to get out and do shows until next year, because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't). I want to be a frontman to do my thing, play guitar and sing. So I'll be 21 when the band gets going, and I will probably dedicate my soul for it.

I'm just starting to think that 21 years old is a little bit to late to really make it, or at least that it's a setback. To know that there's a possibility for me to do something big out of it would make it all more exciting of course.

What do you guys think about this? How do you see a frontman starting the band out in age 21? Do you think it's worse than a frontman at age 18? As honest answers as possible would be appreciated.
Develop your skills and yourself, don't just "start a band" once you think you want to.
You can always play among your friends and stuff, but band in my opinion is something more than just people with instruments.
Quote by Spinachroll
because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't)

this is actually important tho like no joke
banned
Quote by Spinachroll
because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't).

You're not old enough, kid.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by El_cisco_chico
Spoiler: You'll never make it.
Use spoiler tags

and that is just mean
ggg1 ggg3

On a serious note....have you ever considered the age of many famous front men now? They're in their 30's. The younger ones are usually singing pop music for 12 year old girls.

If you have the talent, your age doesn't matter.

I'll let you put the rest together.

"because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't)."
If you want to start a band then start a band, it doesn't matter if you're 14 or 40. Just do it.
I haz gotten gud
Quote by behind_you
Use spoiler tags

and that is just mean

He wanted honesty, I give honesty.

I would like a night with Jennifer Lawrence so she can suck my polla, but will not happen. OP making it also not will happen.
Some people don't make it until they are 40+
21 is still a young age.

If you're going to keep wasting your time letting your hair grow out though, you won't ever make it.
I have nothing important to say
dont listen to these idiots OP long hair is important

Fenriz of Darkthrone said it best himself:
Quote by Fenriz
"Since i rounded up people to play with in December 1986, there were many problems, the musical direction of people involved (that means, we really COULDN’T play, so any direction was a future hope HA HA HA), money for equipment, different level of involvement (i would of course be a diehard dictator, tormenting the others and they’d taunt me back) and last but not least – too short hair.
banned
Quote by rootsofmy
Develop your skills and yourself, don't just "start a band" once you think you want to.
You can always play among your friends and stuff, but band in my opinion is something more than just people with instruments.

bad advice
Sorry but according to many statistics you have to be either 14 and younger and be an entry level metal/hard rock band or be 65+ and be a blues band sorry those are the rules
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
when you are good at playing an instrument or singing.

age does not matter.

(unless you're a justin bieber/backstreet boy wannabe.... start as young as you can, because skill and talent are not needed)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Age and hair length are far more important than talent.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
Age and hair length are far more important than talent.

finally a post with real advice, thank you
banned
Id say once you start liking girls, cuz really what other reason is there to play a musical instrument
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Spinachroll
I'm 20 years old now and I won't be able to get out and do shows until next year, because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't). .

sorry what?

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Spinachroll
I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't).

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Remember, hair length and how successful a band will be are in direct correlation.
You can't even play a lot of places until you're 21. I'm 21 and I'm the youngest person at most of the shows I go to.

The only time I'd say you might be too old to start a "serious" band is when you've got a wife and kids and stuff. And even then, plenty of people make it work.

Remember, Bob Pollard was 37 when Bee Thousand came out.
Quote by Malchius
Remember, hair length and how successful a band will be are in direct correlation.

banned
people still start bands?

you can do it all yourself man
you're a stone fox
Just get out there and do it already. I think 21 is a fine age because the younger you are the less serious people treat you.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Spinachroll
Hello. I've been really wanting to start a serious rock band. The thing is though, I'm 20 years old now and I won't be able to get out and do shows until next year, because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't).

Wow, and I thought I was a manchild.
Quote by Spinachroll
Hello. I've been really wanting to start a serious rock band. The thing is though, I'm 20 years old now and I won't be able to get out and do shows until next year, because I want to grow my hair out first (if you don't understand this, then don't). I want to be a frontman to do my thing, play guitar and sing. So I'll be 21 when the band gets going, and I will probably dedicate my soul for it.

I'm just starting to think that 21 years old is a little bit to late to really make it, or at least that it's a setback. To know that there's a possibility for me to do something big out of it would make it all more exciting of course.

What do you guys think about this? How do you see a frontman starting the band out in age 21? Do you think it's worse than a frontman at age 18? As honest answers as possible would be appreciated.

You sound like a total tool dude, sorry. You must be a troll or something but, what the hell I'll play along.

Seriously. Grow your hair out? your going to wait to grow your hair out and then start a band and get famous? Lolllzzz. Ok ok, back to serious now.

Go out and get started NOW. By the time your hair is all the way you want it, your band might actually be half decent and ready for a show. Don't wait, thats my advice.

Also theres nothing wrong with a frontman thats 21
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
If you aren't signed with a major label two weeks after your parents do the nasty you're too late
Quote by Saint78
people still start bands?

you can do it all yourself man

omfgholyshit this is what ive been trying to tell these people 4ever ffs
banned
conception.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
TS I'm willing to form a band with you under one condition. Do you accept?
Quote by rootsofmy

I think I have already developed myself and my skills. I also used to play in bands before and did shows for about 3-4 years ago. It's just that now I really know what I want to do kind of.
It's almost annoying with these comments where people cannot understand that there's actually a way that having long hair can be really important if you want to do the thing you want. It's a big deal in this case, not to sit down and play an instrument but to be a frontman in the kind of band I want to be in and do my thing. It won't be the same with my short hair, and I could go on for ages trying to explain this but don't feel like that now.
Quote by deadsmileyface
dont listen to these idiots OP long hair is important

Fenriz of Darkthrone said it best himself:

Exactly. It doesn't have to be but it can be, especially for a frontman.
The Bronze Age or whenever it was people still played in bands.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ApatheticMe
This guy is serious about the hair?

Talk about delusional. lol

No, maybe just smarter. Or maybe you haven't got in a situation where u can realize for yourself that hair can matter.
Quote by Spinachroll
No, maybe just smarter. Or maybe you haven't got in a situation where u can realize for yourself that hair can matter.

how can it matter?

you realised you're terrible at music so you'll have to rely on having long hair?

how does your long hair matter for your sound when playing/recording?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 2